No announcement yet.

Welder question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think my 110 wire feed can weld up to 5/16 or maybe 3/8 with a single pass using .30 wire. Both machines are viable options. At work I use a Miller wire feed as well as burning rods. You can get spoiled using the wire feed so I use rods as well just to keep up my man skills! Wire feed is definitely cleaner and in most cases looks better cosmetically.

Comment

id practice on some scrap quite a bit before you weld your trailer your gonna be towing.. good luck! you will find your self doing a lot more with a welder than you think once you learn to use it..

Comment

For a beginner get a gas fed mig. If you want a good unit that plugs into an outlet go with Miller.

Comment

Listen to JP, the Hobart 140 MIG is what you need. Made by Miller, good warranty, and in your price range. Run it with flux core wore, or you can either go lease a bottle from a welding supply place for pennies a day or you can pony up and buy a small one later for a couple hundred bucks. There's not a thing on that little trailer that a 140 plugged directly into the wall cannot handle. I've got one of these machines still that gets used weekly. Before I got my big miller, the little hobart was used 5 days a week for over two years on anything from 18 gauge to 3/16" firepits and has NEVER missed a beat.

Stick welders are versatile, but there's a bigger learning curve and they take longer to use. Mig is what you want for an in-house project welder.

Comment

That is a good point that I forgot to mention. There is a larger and possibly longer learning curve with a stick welder.

Comment

Originally posted by calfroper_06 View Post
              For a beginner get a gas fed mig. If you want a good unit that plugs into an outlet go with Miller.
              What welder would you suggest?

I plan on taking down all of the various welders and then go and do some research

Comment

Originally posted by Ramball36 View Post
                Listen to JP, the Hobart 140 MIG is what you need. Made by Miller, good warranty, and in your price range. Run it with flux core wore, or you can either go lease a bottle from a welding supply place for pennies a day or you can pony up and buy a small one later for a couple hundred bucks. There's not a thing on that little trailer that a 140 plugged directly into the wall cannot handle. I've got one of these machines still that gets used weekly. Before I got my big miller, the little hobart was used 5 days a week for over two years on anything from 18 gauge to 3/16" firepits and has NEVER missed a beat.

Stick welders are versatile, but there's a bigger learning curve and they take longer to use. Mig is what you want for an in-house project welder.

Ok so a hobart 140 is on the list.

Comment

Yes, the Hobart 140 is a good setup for the price and you will be quite surprised with what you can accomplish with that. Flux core wire will definitely work but burns very dirty so you will be doing a lot of cleaning to minimize porosity on your starts and stops. Gas shielded wire is definitely the way to go for what you are wanting to do, and the money and time you will save on wheels and frustration will surely cover the gas. Definitely practice with the adjustments on your machine to get it dialed in and burning consistently. Feel free to send me a pm if you have any questions and I will give you my number and would be happy to discuss with you and help you out on your project. You will become addicted to working with metal..lol

Comment

Jb,

Thanks for the offer. I will contact you.

Comment

I agree stick welding has a steeper learning curve. I personally like Miller the best, but that is outside your price range. I don't like the cheaper Hobart and Lincoln because they are not infinite adjustable on the heat side. I would look at the Eastwood 175. It can use 110 or 220.

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
                        I want to do some welding on a trailer I have. I also have a cheap Harbor Freight welder that I purchased 3 years ago.

First I am not trained, u basically learn from watching YouTube so obviously I'm not very good.

Can you DIY guys suggest a welder that is easy to use and cost under 500 to 600? Also I don't have easy access to a 220 plug so it would have to be a 120.
                        How has the Harbor Freight Welder worked out?

Comment

Hobart 140 would be my recommendation for that price range.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythitman View Post
                            Hobart 140 would be my recommendation for that price range.
                            I go with this guy. While not able to get great penetration, they will do an awful lot of things.

Comment

Hobart 140
                              flux core .030
                              you'll be good to go
                              (practice a lot)

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
                                What welder would you suggest?

I plan on taking down all of the various welders and then go and do some research
                                The new 141 is a good machine. Should do everything you need is is around 700. I have heard good things about Hobart lately, but a few years ago it was night and day difference to Miller. Just go to any real welding shop in your area, guaranteed Miller units is what they run.

Comment

Working...
                                X