Ram 1500 with a V6 penstar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am thinking about a new daily driver ram 1500 but with a penstar not a hemi
    I will drive it till my nephew is old enough to drive and give him the truck as his 1st . Who has owned a V6 ram ? Hear the good, bad ,ugly of one
    I don’t plan on towing Heavy as we are also in the market for a 2500 Cummins or F 250 7.3 gas for personal truck Or will just keep the Chevy After wife retires
    His dad is from Nevada and has a razor that Eli will probably be using out where they live
    So just brainstorming about the penstar

I had a 2008 Ram crew cab V6. Not sure which engine it was, but it was pretty much gutless. Only kept it 2 years. Never had any issues with it.

Comment

Drove a four door half ton Ram with one in it last year for about a month. It had plenty of pep. Not sure how it would tow. But, the drivability was good.

Comment

We had one several years ago. Pretty anemic. Around town was ok, but highway speeds or trying to haul ANYTHING was a no-go, in the bed or a trailer.

Comment

My first truck was a quad cab with the3.7 and 5 spd. The penstar has was more HP so I’m sure it would be better. The 3.7 was terribly underpowered in the truck.

Comment

My dad has had one a few years. He seems to like it alot. He tows a small trailer with lawn mower and his pontoon boat with it occasionally.

Comment

I dont think you will be disappointed. Had one a few yrs back and it ran well. Try to get the limited slip if possible.

Comment

That's what's in my wife's Jeep. I couldn't imagine it in a truck.

Comment

I drive a 2016 Ram with the V6 and the 8 speed trans. Never owned a Dodge before this truck. Have to say I've been pretty impressed. Only thing I've towed is our double jet ski trailer with the skis and it pulls that thing like a dream. I'm running 275/60/20 all terrains and i'm currently getting 18.5 MPG.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu_dude View Post
                    I drive a 2016 Ram with the V6 and the 8 speed trans. Never owned a Dodge before this truck. Have to say I've been pretty impressed. Only thing I've towed is our double jet ski trailer with the skis and it pulls that thing like a dream. I'm running 275/60/20 all terrains and i'm currently getting 18.5 MPG.
                    Do you ever get used to the dial shifter?
                    And do all 1500’s have a dial shift

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                      Do you ever get used to the dial shifter?
                      And do all 1500’s have a dial shift

Mine does...it was different at first. I had a Jeep that was standard 6 speed before so I was always reaching for the shifter for a while. My only problem is sometimes I get “quick on the trigger” and shift to park before I’m fully stopped so the truck yells at me. Now, I get in the wife’s car and reach for the dial on her dash. She drives a Chevy Traverse that has a central console shift[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Before I retired I was shipping mgr & got to talk to lots of people about lots of trucks. Several of the hotshot drivers were driving dodges with the 6 banger. These were personal trucks ,not fleet. Everyone of them swore by them. Great gas mileage & plenty of power for their purpose.

Comment

Working...
                        X