First Elk hunt advice on gear needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Elk hunt advice on gear needed.

My two buddies and I finally got the money to go elk hunting this year and we got a few Montana Elk B tags. Reason for the Elk B tags is because it’s our first time around and wanted to have higher odds of coming back with meat while learning about how different the backcountry is for future bull hunts. With that being said we are wanting to know the most important basic camp items we might have overlooked and especially the best tent for the three of us. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you hiking in and camping or setting up camp next to truck and then going in every morning?

Good set of boots bought now and start wearing them now to be good and broke in. Start climbing bleachers and working out now.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

#1: good boots that are broke in
      #2: decent pack
      #3: be proficient with your weapon of choice
      Everything else can be determined later depending on if your car camping, day hunting, or hunting from your back. Each one of these will have different gear needed.

Comment

Best advice I have from hunting muleys out west and chasing elk a couple of times is if you can hunt from a nice warm camp with nice amenities do it. Having a warm tent with hot food every meal and a comfortable place to sleep is nice to have. Gonna want a minimum of a 4 man tent for 3 dudes if you can swing it a 5 man tent. A good sleeping bag rated to -20 or 0. A sleeping pad and if truck camping a cot sure is nice. If back packing get all lightweight stuff but still be sure to get a good sleep pad. Jet boil if packing in. Legit camp stove if not. Real eggs and bacon start the morning off right when in that weather. Lots of layers. I like a good thermal base layer followed by a wool sweater that is thin followed by a long sleeve sleeve fleece followed by a water proof jacket then throw on a nice thick outer jacket if really cold. Can shed or add or interchange as needed on your preference. Try not to sweat to much by over doing it. Mole skin in you pack. Fresh dry pair of socks in your pack daily.

Not sure what your budget is but it can get expensive quick if starting at ground zero on gear.

Comment

Moleskin. Absolutely 100% carry moleskin if this is your first outing.

You may think your boots are broke in now, but when you live in them putting 10-15 miles on them everyday for a week+ you’ll realize they may not be as comfortable as you’d like. Moleskin will solve a lot of issues with rubbing or blisters ( well maybe not solve, but at least minimize).

As Westtexducks said a good sleeping pad is worth 10x what you pay for it out in the sticks. Not only will it provide a comfortable place to lay it can keep you much warmer.
          Last edited by TX03RUBI; 09-01-2020, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
            Are you hiking in and camping or setting up camp next to truck and then going in every morning?

Good set of boots bought now and start wearing them now to be good and broke in. Start climbing bleachers and working out now.

We will be camping by the truck and hiking in. If we don’t see much the first 4 days we might hike in and camp further in. I have heard everyone say get good boots. They will be coming in the mail this week.

Comment

Originally posted by hxc016 View Post
              We will be camping by the truck and hiking in. If we don’t see much the first 4 days we might hike in and camp further in. I have heard everyone say get good boots. They will be coming in the mail this week.

Start putting miles on them with weight on your back.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                Best advice I have from hunting muleys out west and chasing elk a couple of times is if you can hunt from a nice warm camp with nice amenities do it. Having a warm tent with hot food every meal and a comfortable place to sleep is nice to have. Gonna want a minimum of a 4 man tent for 3 dudes if you can swing it a 5 man tent. A good sleeping bag rated to -20 or 0. A sleeping pad and if truck camping a cot sure is nice. If back packing get all lightweight stuff but still be sure to get a good sleep pad. Jet boil if packing in. Legit camp stove if not. Real eggs and bacon start the morning off right when in that weather. Lots of layers. I like a good thermal base layer followed by a wool sweater that is thin followed by a long sleeve sleeve fleece followed by a water proof jacket then throw on a nice thick outer jacket if really cold. Can shed or add or interchange as needed on your preference. Try not to sweat to much by over doing it. Mole skin in you pack. Fresh dry pair of socks in your pack daily.

Not sure what your budget is but it can get expensive quick if starting at ground zero on gear.

Great advice on the layering! Luckily I have all of the layers and material I will need, just don’t have any backcountry camouflage. I’m not going to spend 300 dollars on it either. I’m just going to wear an earth tone outer layer.

Comment

Originally posted by hxc016 View Post
                  They will be coming in the mail this week.
                  What boots are you taking?

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                    Start putting miles on them with weight on your back.

I’m a surveyor in East Texas and we hike miles everyday while carrying gear. I’m just going to wear them at work for a few weeks.

Comment

Tarp your tent. All tents new and old leak.

Im taking duct tape in place of moleskin for boot blisters.

Hopefully you already know this but: No cotton. Cotton kills. Synthetic or wool clothing only.

I just got several new pair of Saxx for staying secured and minimize chaffing during rucking.
                      Last edited by Briar Friar; 09-01-2020, 08:54 AM. Reason: SaxxSpake

Comment

Take Care of your Feet!
                        Get a great pair of boots and take a back up pair. Also have good socks. If I can, I will change socks during the day.

I am also a big fan of gaiters, not mandatory but once i started wearing them I wont go without them.

Good technical hunting gear, think layers too.

Game bags

Good pack that is properly fit

Practice shooting wearing your pack and out of breath

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                          What boots are you taking?

I wish I had 300 dollars to buy some nicer ones but they were the best ones I could find in a size 15. It’s very hard to find top of the line hunting gear for tall fellas.

Comment

My advice on hunting and increasing your odds is DONT KEEP HUNTING A SPOT IF YOURE NOT SEEING ELK. I made this mistake once. Burn a week in a basin and never saw an elk after covering over 60 miles. Going in deeper doesn’t mean you will find them. If this is rifle seasons then spend most your time glassing right as the sun comes up and right as it’s setting. From vantage points that you can see a long ways. But you have to get there before daylight. If y’all split up to glass and no one is seeing elk in the first day in one or two canyons then don’t come back to those canyons. Go to the next. You should be able to cover a ton of country in two days. If you’re still not seeing anything then move. Drive somewhere else. Then do it again. Also, STAY OFF THE TRAIL HEADS. Those elk know what the trail heads mean. Find access points away from trail heads. Park next to a steep ridge that most people would look at and keep driving. Enter here and get to the top to glass. You don’t always have to go miles in to find them. You just have to go where most people won’t or over look.

Gear:
                            BOOTS - a huge must!
                            Wool socks
                            Decent pack
                            Clothing for the weather that time of year
                            Water purification system - I burn through almost 4 liters a day when I’m covering ground
                            Decent binos and a spotter if your rifle hunting
                            GPS/phone capable of getting you around
                            Advil - bc you will hurt after 2 days
                            Small first aide kit
                            Para cord
                            Knife for quartering elk
                            These are things you need to keep in your pack at all times and what I call essential.

If you’re camping next to the truck, then what you bring for camp is up to you bc you can have access to a lot of gear. Make sure you and your buddies don’t bring double of an item. You don’t need two stoves or two outdoor showers or anything like that. It’s just more stuff to deal with. I’m not much help in gear for camping next to the truck bc I pack in when I go and use the same gear if I camp next to the truck. I have enough stuff in my pack for 8 days when I leave the truck.

Comment

Very helpful! Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X