Looking for new long range scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for new long range scope

I have been using the SWFA 3-15x42 for 3-4 years now and it does good as far as repeatability and dialing. But, it is pretty basic. Mil Quad reticle only has .5 Mil subtensions, and really I would like something with clearer glass. It seems to me that there is a pretty competitive niche in the $1200-$1600 range, and then to make the next significant jump up from there puts a guy in the $2500 bracket, which is really probably out of my budget.

So, I'm probably looking at the $1500 +/- range, might sqeak up to $1700-$1800. Not opposed to a used scope either if a good deal was to be found. So to top my list I want good reliable adjustments (Mil only), significantly better glass than the SWFA I am running now, and preferable for it not to be a brick as far as weight goes (lighter is better). Upgraded reticle like a Horus would definitely be pretty high on the want list, also getting to 1K with a single revolution on the turret with a 6.5 would be a plus.

As far as I know, some scopes in this class would be Viper Gen II PST (not a huge fan, but maybe), Burris XTR II, Bushnell HDMR II. Name me some others, or which ones you feel are the winners in the class, and why. I appreciate it, and look forward to hearing what you guys think.

I recently had the same need and ended up jumping up to the Razor HD Gen II. To my eyes the $1500 scopes just weren't a significant improvement on the $900 Leupold VX5 HD, where looking through the Razor HD was a real "whoa" moment.

I should add that the other way you could interpret my comment is that "the Leupold VX5 HD is really good glass for the money".
    Last edited by Balcones_Walker; 01-18-2019, 08:31 AM.

Comment

I still like my NF NXS 5.5x22. Others will say it’s glass isn’t up to the price point, but no one can argue with the reliability and tracking. You can find them from time to time at a little over 1800.

Another one I have used extensively is the Zeiss Conquest V6 which, honestly, I was surprised with. Good Zeiss glass, adequate magnification at 18x, and tracking was spot on. Also substantially lighter than a NF. I don’t like the reticles as much as the MOAR but they were simple, which is sometimes good.

Not a huge fan of the Swaros at that level. Tracking is hit and miss and they don’t have the reticle options. Glass is phenomenal though if you’re not into dialing. I’ve read the X5 is awesome, but have no experience with it. That would stretch your budget quite a bit though.

Others that I don’t really have experience with are the upper end Vortex and the new Leopoldo VX-6HD. I do like Leupold though and intend to give one a try.

Comment

Also, I guess I should have read OPs qualifications more thourougly. If you get a chance, take a look at that Zeiss V6 over the NXS for lighter weight. Like I said, I sneered at it at first since every Conquest I’ve ever messed with left me unimpressed. After 400 rounds out to 1000 over 4 days, my attitude certainly changed. You can buy a demo from Redhawk for $1300.

Comment

I don't see the competitive niche at $1200-$1600. Above and below, sure.
          I think for "wow" you're going to have to step into $2k(+).
          Your wants list kind of has the high notes of everybody's signature features, so you're going to have to settle some on those. Maybe prioritize your wish list. Good reliable adjustments is a no brainer and something all scopes in this class are going to do well. Again, for "wow" glass you're going to have to step up in price. Reticle offerings and mils per turret rev are manufacturer specific, so if those are things you want, your options are going to narrow to only a couple of choices.

Comment

Probably everyone has a different opinion of what "wow" glass is. I don't have anything that comes close to falling in that category yet, so anything that is significantly better than standard (not HD) SWFA glass is what I am looking for.

Let me put it a different way. In the opinion of the folks here on this thread, what are some of the best "bang for the buck" LR capable scopes in the $1200-$1600 range?

If I were to jump to the $2500 range I think Razor AMG would for sure be in the running.

Good comments so far guys, I am thinking and checking out suggestions.

Comment

I have to recommend the sightron scopes. I feel the SIII series has really good glass for the price, but the SV series is amazing but more expensive.

Forgot to add that they are Japanese glass, like Nightforce rather than phillipine or china. They are significantly lighter than the nightforce and I really like the turrets.
              Last edited by Txsurveyor2014; 01-18-2019, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 96 View Post
                I still like my NF NXS 5.5x22. Others will say it’s glass isn’t up to the price point, but no one can argue with the reliability and tracking. You can find them from time to time at a little over 1800.

Another one I have used extensively is the Zeiss Conquest V6 which, honestly, I was surprised with. Good Zeiss glass, adequate magnification at 18x, and tracking was spot on. Also substantially lighter than a NF. I don’t like the reticles as much as the MOAR but they were simple, which is sometimes good.

Not a huge fan of the Swaros at that level. Tracking is hit and miss and they don’t have the reticle options. Glass is phenomenal though if you’re not into dialing. I’ve read the X5 is awesome, but have no experience with it. That would stretch your budget quite a bit though.

Others that I don’t really have experience with are the upper end Vortex and the new Leopoldo VX-6HD. I do like Leupold though and intend to give one a try.
                You can find an NXS 5.5-22 for $1200-1400 without much trouble. Ibmve bought one as low as $1k. No way I’d pay $1800 for one. I can bought an F1 ATACR 4-16 with MIL-R or MOAR for $1800 just about any day of the week.

OP if weight wasn’t a concern I’d say look for a Gen II Razor 3-18. It fits everything you’re looking for except the weight category. They just introduced new reticle options for 2019, and the original EBR-2C reticle has plummeted in price with everyone wanting the newest Horus reticles.
                Last edited by TX03RUBI; 01-18-2019, 10:48 AM.

Comment

That 3-18 Razor does meet all the criteria but one. Dang that thing is heavy.

Comment

I’ve been very impressed with Leupold VX-3i LRP. Clear glass, reliable, and right in your price range.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                      That 3-18 Razor does meet all the criteria but one. Dang that thing is heavy.
                      In the $1500-1600 range you won’t find any better glass, but yeah it’s a pig. I’ve had 3 GII 3-18s and 2 1-6s. I’ve sold them all due to weight. Replaced one with an ATACR 4-16 F1 MILC and have an NX8 1-8 coming in today. If you can stretch to $1800 and skip the 2 tenths wind hold you can find MIL-R ATACRs for $1800 pretty regularly used. The glass on them is excellent. I know where a MILC with SPUHR Mount is for $2100. The mount makes that as good of a deal as I’ve seen on a MILC. You could probably sell it for $300-325, and then be into the MILC for $1800.

Comment

It is heavy, yes. Good for a long range, larger cartridge gun. For instance if you were to do the APR special in 28 Nosler, it'd be ideal - you'd get the advantages of "the best scope" in a middleweight package that would make the recoil bearable.

Comment

Midway had deal a few weeks ago that if you bought the new Leupold Mark5 HD you could get a $250 gift card. That could get the price down around 1800 for what you're wanting if you go with the 5-25x56. And it's 30oz compaired to the gen 2 razor 4.5-27 at 48oz. You could use the gift card to buy rings/bases or whatever you need to set your gun up

Comment

Looking very seriously at this one. I am hearing lots of folks on LRHF say the glass in these is very good for the price. Lightweight, locking windage, 10 mil/rev on vertical. Plus I don't have to cerakote it. Only thing it doesn't hit is the Horus reticle, but the one it has is OK. Plus 10% off and free shipping the next couple of days.

SWFA is an optics manufacturing specializing in rifle scopes built for tactical, hunting, and long range shooting known for quality and precision optics.

Comment

I sold that scope 3-4 weeks back for $850. It was ok, but the glass was pretty crappy above 13-14x. A PST II has better glass. It tracked fine, and the reticle is good for hunting. It’s not too busy, but gives enough holds for accurate follow ups or corrections. It would fit your needs just fine, but it won’t be much of a step up from the SWFA in the glass department. Definitely do not pay more than $1k for one.

Comment

Working...
                              X