No announcement yet.

Long(ish) range ar15?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Valkyrie is still having a few issues. I would stick with the Grendel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Alright, going with Grendel for sure

Next question is on barrels. Is it worth going with a Proof carbon barrel or just stick with a quality made steel? I know steel barrels are half the cost but I want to take my time and build this up right

Comment

My Grendel AR has a 24" heavy barrel from Satern...wasn't cheap but crazy accurate

Comment

Go Rainier UltraMatch for your barrel. They’ve been spinning them off Rock Creek blanks for some time. Everyone I’ve seen has been a hell of a shooter. I’ve got a 17” SPR 223 that I’ve taken out to 970 without issue. May try and stretch it past 1000 here in an hour.

Comment

Love my grendel and my valkyrie it's to shabby either. Check out airborne arms if you go with the 224. Pretty good clip on the 224 on YouTube under, "is the 224 valkyrie dying off?"

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
              Go Rainier UltraMatch for your barrel. They’ve been spinning them off Rock Creek blanks for some time. Everyone I’ve seen has been a hell of a shooter. I’ve got a 17” SPR 223 that I’ve taken out to 970 without issue. May try and stretch it past 1000 here in an hour.
              That not too bad on the price compared to the Proof barrels I was lookin at!

Comment

Another vote for Grendel I’ve shot mine out to 750 and it’s a tack driver.

Comment

Iv had the same issue can’t decide which one to build with. Iv built to many 556 want to try something new.

Comment

I would do Grendel... But honestly regular 556 with a good 1-7 barrel and 77s will do that

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                      Alright, going with Grendel for sure

Next question is on barrels. Is it worth going with a Proof carbon barrel or just stick with a quality made steel? I know steel barrels are half the cost but I want to take my time and build this up right
                      Hell of an expense (~$900) for a gas gun barrel, I've done it on a bolt action and would do it again, but wouldn't personally on a gasser. Plus you'll be limiting yourself to 0.875" gas blocks, of which there are significantly fewer options.

If I was going to spend money on an AR barrel, I'd get a Bartlein:

https://www.precisionfirearms.com/m8...720-by-pf.html

and use the savings to buy the nicest trigger I could.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                        Hell of an expense (~$900) for a gas gun barrel, I've done it on a bolt action and would do it again, but wouldn't personally on a gasser. Plus you'll be limiting yourself to 0.875" gas blocks, of which there are significantly fewer options.

https://www.precisionfirearms.com/m8...720-by-pf.html

I think you may be right. I sat with the Proof guys today at DSC for a bit and they were going over stuff with me. After their feedback and ideas I like the carbon barrels for a 28nosler or 280ai build but am gonna go with quality steel barrel on the grendel

Comment

Long(ish) range ar15?

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post

This listing is for Barrel and Bolt Only!!! 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Cut Rifled Barrel 5R Rifling 1-8 Twist Stainless .720 Muzzle target crowned .750 Gas Block - Medium HBAR Profile Rifle Gas System PF Bolt matched to barrel by us Chambered in house to extreme match specifications Test Fired with 3 rounds Options: Fluted with 6 flutes Front and Back sections inhouse by PF Fluted with 8 Flutes Front and Back Threaded 5/8x24 Lead time Uppers get are 6-8 weeks, Barrels are 10-12 weeks.

I have one of these barrels and I’m not real impressed with it. So far my Alexander Arms barrel was more accurate.

I’m considering a Proof barrel to replace it with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That not too bad on the price compared to the Proof barrels I was lookin at!
                            Wind sucked yesterday. I played at 800 and in. It did it’s part. Wasn’t quite as accurate as id like, but I knew that might be an issue dropping from a 3-15 precision optic to a 1-8 LPVO. I could still hit with reasonable accuracy, but not quite as easily and accurately as with a better suited optic. The reticle was the main hurdle.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              I have one of these barrels and I’m not real impressed with it. So far my Alexander Arms barrel was more accurate.

I’m considering a Proof barrel to replace it with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                              Are looking at their carbon or steel?

Comment

Are looking at their carbon or steel?

Carbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X