Drawn for Elephant Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    When we hunted near Alpine last year, our guide wore Chippewa snake boots, and he slid around a lot. As mentioned, it's very steep iandthe ground is covered with marble size rocks. I bought a pair of un insulated Danner Pronghorns, and I had much better footing. I love the boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have the same boots from Danner and they are the ones i am thinking about bringing, they have served me well elk hunting...but the other side of me wonders why your guide would give up the better footing in exchange for snake protection

Comment

Originally posted by Italianxbowuser View Post
      I have the same boots from Danner and they are the ones i am thinking about bringing, they have served me well elk hunting...but the other side of me wonders why your guide would give up the better footing in exchange for snake protection
      For myself I believe I would opt for the surer footing, and just keep an eye out for the snakes. I did not have to be concerned about snakes when I hunted there, this past winter, however, I found the steep terrain a bit intimidating.
      I am not as young and agile as I once was. The photo of the deer I posted earlier shows the "steep" terrain, and it took me 6+ hours to get him off the mountain. Busted my @ss more than once in the process.
      Certainly not complaining, only explaining. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Comment

Man you luck dog. No need for snake boots in October, they will not be on the move.

Best of luck.

Comment

One week away. For those of you that have been there, what are your thoughts on bringing a game cart? Is the terrain suitable to make this worthwhile or should i just leave it at home?

Comment

I would think leave at home. Good Luck, pot pics.

Comment

Drawn for Elephant Mountain

I camped out there for a night prior to a hunt at DMSP. Pretty nice campsites, though nothing fancy. Great view of the mountain from camp. Saw quite a few deer. Can you shot Javis too? Bunch of them. Look for sheep too. Cool to see them in Texas.

Last edited by JustinJ; 10-08-2018, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys. Permit says one Javi and either Mule deer with an 18" spread or one side two points...or any whitetail buck. I will be focused soley on mule deer as it's one or the other....but if the hunts running out, i will take a javi if available.

I hunted Davis mountain state park for Javelinas years ago....they were everywhere and aggressive in the campground but i couldn't find any in the hunt area

Comment

Headed out today weather is looking like rain the whole time with near freezing temperatures going to be tough

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

In my case the cart would have useless. Hope you have a great and successful hunt.
                      Good Luck!

Comment

Comment

They make Danner Pronghorn snake boots. I own two pair.

Comment

How did the hunt go ? Thought about going as a standby but the weather kept me home

Comment

Originally posted by hogman$ View Post
                              How did the hunt go ? Thought about going as a standby but the weather kept me home

Weather was a challenge, but the heavy rain mostly avoided the WMA. The closest cities to guess the weather by are either Marathon or Alpine. Even though these areas saw a lot of rain the WMA didn't. There was a standby position open that did not get filled(guy cancelled due to weather)

Temps hung around in the 30s and 40s with a strong north wind most days. Some of the compartments were seeing deer regularly and others were not. I only saw deer in my compartment on the last day, the guy i partnered with only saw limited deer as well. The two other compartments, saw deer regularly, and attempted a few stalks but no arrows were flung. Although from the pictures it looks grassy, it actually all loose rocks and stones in various sizes with grass growing between them. Walking was challenging, and walking quietly was very difficult.

Although, the cold, rain and wind was not pleasant, i feel for the guys who have to hunt and climb that mountain in hot weather. The WMA guys said they had seen a high number of rattlers this year, but due to the cold none were seen on this hunt

Comment

Weather was a challenge, but the heavy rain mostly avoided the WMA. The closest cities to guess the weather by are either Marathon or Alpine. Even though these areas saw a lot of rain the WMA didn't. There was a standby position open that did not get filled(guy cancelled due to weather)

Temps hung around in the 30s and 40s with a strong north wind most days. Some of the compartments were seeing deer regularly and others were not. I only saw deer in my compartment on the last day, the guy i partnered with only saw limited deer as well. The two other compartments, saw deer regularly, and attempted a few stalks but no arrows were flung. Although from the pictures it looks grassy, it actually all loose rocks and stones in various sizes with grass growing between them. Walking was challenging, and walking quietly was very difficult.

Although, the cold, rain and wind was not pleasant, i feel for the guys who have to hunt and climb that mountain in hot weather. The WMA guys said they had seen a high number of rattlers this year, but due to the cold none were seen on this hunt
                                dang sounds like a good time ill have to go next time good or bad weather

Comment

Working...
                                X