Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biggest Buck hit the dirt!! (First Pope and Young)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest Buck hit the dirt!! (First Pope and Young)

“Redemption”

Sunday, October 20th was a day i will never forget! Its a day I have dreamed of since I was a little guy running behind my Dad in the woods. As it’s been a longgg road to get here and many many hours of work and time in the woods. Finally all came together!

The title is called “Redemption” for some guys on here know my story on the failure I had last year at shooting what would have been my biggest deer of my life.. I made what I felt was a great shot on a buck we called “The 12”. He was a main frame high 40’s-50” 12 pt. Last year Oct 5th, he came in and presented me a 20 yard broadside shot. Anchored down, and let the arrow fly! I watched it hit right on the shoulder bone and pop right out! Deer runs off never to be seen all season! We all assumed he died from the wound or moved property’s. As luck would have it, on the last day of multi antler season, as I was in Dallas at my wife’s family Christmas, he shows up on camera at the stand I shot him at! I couldn’t believe it, he was alive but looked to have a gimp leg from the wound! So we Went into this year lookin forward to hopefully seeing him recover slowly on that leg and was praying he didn’t grow back all goofy! Well the worst happened, he starts showing up on camera mid summer and he has the ugliest set on antlers I’ve ever laid eyes on. I felt sick!! We as a group decided to let him ride and hopefully he will breed a doe or two this year.

Back to last Sunday mornin, as I sit there in the blind I go through my morning routine of prayer and thanking the Lord for another day in his great outdoors. Daylight starts to break, birds come alive!! Feeder spins, and I have my usual 4-5 does come right in. As I sit there and watch them settle, I catch movement a ways out towards our south fence (300 yards). I throw my binos up and see a doe jump the fence, then I look behind her and there he was.. standing there eyes pegged on her. He hops over and I see his huge frame and immediately know it’s a shooter even from that distance!! So I reach up slowly and grab my bow handle.. lift up and I realize it’s not just sliding right off my hanger! My mind starts spinning and I can not believe this is happening.. I look up and My cam is on the hanger and not the Limb!! A mistake I made because it was dark and didn’t see where I hung my bow in the early hours. Before I knew it the buck has closed distance and him and the doe are 50 yards and comin. I have to make a move to get my bow so I decided I needed to stand up! As this morning felt like the calmest mornings I have ever sat in the woods, you could hear a mouse fart! So slowly I get up off my chair and as I do the chair makes a popping noise! All the does heads look up and alert on me. I stand up and I hear stomping and more major stomping! I’m thinkin to myself... Wow this hunt is about to be over and the biggest deer of my life is about to get blown out of here! I stand there just praying hard that they start eating again. 3-4 mins go by and hear crunching again. I slowly get back down and right when my butt hits the chair it makes the pop again! This time the doe he’s with turns and trots off to the right he turns around and walks straight back like he’s leaving!! I couldn’t believe it! I was forsure it was over this time.. Well as luck would have it, the doe he was with turns and walks back in for some more corn! He turns his head and looks at her and flips a 180 to walk right back in! It was go time, got my bow ready.. he walks in 15 yards and was quartered to me.. I told myself I’m waiting for the hard qtr away as I’m not letting what happened last year happen again to me!!! He ate for 2-3 mins facing me then finally turned out quartering away, I pull back my bow! He takes a few steps up and out then opened that closest shoulder, I let it fly! I watched the illuminock connect to right where I was aiming!! I was soooo pummmped! Watched him mule kick then run a circle about 70 yards out and slow down into some thick stuff and knew I had just killed the biggest deer of my life!! I immediately called the man that got me into this amazing sport of hunting, My Dad! We celebrated on phone with, way to go’s, I can not believe its, and not gonna lie a couple tears!! Man was a rush!
    I decide to let him lay the standard hour or so and Climb down! I go to first spot I saw him mule kick and immediately see blood spray! It was on! Followed the heavy bright red trail and there he was at the end of it 40 or so yards past where I last saw him!!! I could not believe it! A main frame 12 point! It felt like Redemption [emoji1374]I looked up and Thanked the Man above I don’t no how many times! I really just couldn’t find words at that moment, I was speechless and just so thankful!!
    This was a deer we had 3 pictures of in velvet back in August! With zero history in the previous 4 years on the lease! I couldn’t have done any of this without my lease buds and everyone that put in the work out there! Many many weekends and day trips in the 100 degree west tx sun, throwing protein and setting stands! It’s all fun when it’s “work” out there but man it feels good when it pays off like this! Couldn’t be more happy!!Thanks for following along as I know it was a long read, but I wanted to make it as real as possible! God is good!

Scored 153 5/8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by arrowsonly88; 10-25-2019, 05:37 PM.

Goodgracious what great buck
    Congrats

Comment

Congrats! Great deer!!

Comment

Congratulations indeed! Very nice trophy.

Comment

Congrats on an awesome buck and great story. I'm assuming this is in Concho Cnty? If so, that's a beast for that area. Great deer, thanks for the great story.

Comment

Heck yea Brady!!! Makes all that work worth it! Proud of you brother.

Don’t forget the photo credit [emoji2369]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice buck. Big congratulations to you.

Comment

Very nice congrats

Comment

Congratulations

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations glad ur luck turned around and u we’re able to get ur buck of a lifetime. Nothing better than being able to let the person that got you into hunting know about it first. I’m sure your dad was just as proud of you

Comment

Great buck and write up!

Comment

Nice one! Congrats!!

Comment

Great bucks and story! Congrats bud, way to stick with it

Comment

Great Buck and writeup Congrats

Comment

Geez! Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X