Prayers for Dad - Glory to God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prayers for Dad - Glory to God

This is a long post but i need it to release some stress. Pistol and I would like to ask for prayers for our Dad. A week ago from yesterday (July 14) at 130 pm Mom found him lying on the floor unconscious. 15 minutes prior he was talking to her and she went outside to pick up her garden tools.

EMS showed up and gave him seizure meds. The hospital is 5 miles from the house. He had another seizure on the ride. Then I met Mom at the hospital as they unloaded him.

Everyone thought it was a stroke because he didn't have any health issues. 73 years old and healthy as a horse.

They ran him into the CT scan where he had another seizure. As the neurologist reviewed stroke treatment protocols with us, the CT doc said we are not going to be able to administer those meds. The neuro looked at the images and turned to us - he's not having a stroke. There's a mass in his head. I laughed and said well that's his brains. He's extremely smart. You see... he's a rocket engineer. (Actually he's an airplane stress engineer and he helped design the stealth planes. He can do the computations by hand faster and more accurate than computers. )

The neuro was not amused and tried to explain it but I said we understood.

They did the MRI the next day because he was still having seizures. Pistol came in that night. The new neurosurgeon came in Monday afternoon. He said he was fairly certain it was brain cancer.

The tumor was very large and aggressive. It was deep, too and College Station hospitals lacked the equipment to due the surgery. He referred dad to S&W Temple.

On Tuesday our brother flew in and stepped in. What a relief to have him here. He was a natural at caring for Dad. Mom is not able because she has a neck vertebrae that needs to be replaced and is in constant pain and unable to lift her arms.

Dad was ambulatory and could speak a few clear sentences a day but his voice deceived. The wrong words were coming out. Soon we discovered his communication ability suffered. He could write but not what he wanted.

Since he was stable the hospital released him on Wednesday. My brother was there to help. On Friday he had to return home for his 2 week military training.

Dad regressed on Friday. He was unable to speak. He also couldn't eat or drink which meant he couldn't take his meds. I called on Saturday morning to check on him.

Mom said he was crying a lot and was trying to talk. The Temple doc called to set up his appointments for this week. When she told them what was going on, they said to bring him to Temple ER. I went to their house to help. He was ambulatory but it was difficult to get him to the van. He seemed to be mumbling the whole way to Temple.

When we arrived a security guard helped us into a wheelchair and asked, "how long has he been breathing like that?" Breathing?!? Oh crap! I can't believe I missed that!! Silva was running down his throat and he was drooling constantly.

They rushed him to the ER. He was having non- clinical (internal) seizures. After they stabilized him we had to wait for the docs. Mom and I thought he looked very close to death. He certainly was knocking on the door.

The doc who was supposed to do the surgery was out of town until Monday. The neurosurgeon that came in next said they needed to do emergency surgery first thing in the morning. They moved him to ICU.

On Sunday morning after a 6 hour surgery they removed a large glioblasoma tumor. It was about the size of a loosely held fist. The docs were amazed that prior to 1 week ago he had no symptoms. He even had a physical 4 months ago.

Today, Dad is doing much better. He cannot communicate but he can walk. He has some motor planning delays and has to focus for a minute before he can move. He is very much able to understand everything. He'll be going to a rehab center for 2-3 weeks on Friday.

Dad has been a walking miracle for the last week. I give it all to God's grace and glory. I pray that he heals completely.

Prayers sent.

Comment

Prayers sent. The journey ahead is long, so just take one step at a time and focus on that one step. You cannot do anything about yesterday and nothing about tomorrow. There is only today.

Comment

Prayers up for a fast and complete recovery.

Comment

Prayers for complete healing.

Comment

Prayers sent

Comment

Prayers sent.

Comment

Prayers without ceasing!

Comment

prayers buddy

Comment

Holy cow, that is crazy!

Many prayers going up for your dad, his care givers, and his complete recovery.

Comment

Prayers sent....

Comment

Prayers sent.

Comment

Prayers up for your dad and your family.

Comment

Praying for the family

Comment

Wow. That's good he's doing better. Prayers for your family and all involved.

Comment

Working...
                              X