Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-28-2018, 05:09 PM   #151
mcattc
Nubbin' Buck

This was a cow I killed last year at Teniente I shot her while she was looking at me from about 150 yard and she didnít go anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mcattc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2018, 05:23 PM   #152
Texas Kidd
Four Point

Hunt In: Dryden, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
Yes, pretty much what is required in order to harvest the meat before spoiling, especially in such warm temps. Unless your lucky enough to stick one near a road, have a team of people, or get fortunate enough to recover one near sunset and equally fortunate enough to receive vehicle support(don't count on it), after legal hunting hours.
I bet it takes 3 guys just to ruck out a quartered bull. The areas I plan on hunting are not anywhere close to the roads. I guess that sucks for me. lol
Texas Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #153
Birddog66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Heading down on 11/30-12/4, with Pepper, Chief, Sneaky and others. Looking forward to it.
Birddog66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #154
txbonecollector
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

Tagged now. Was drawn for the 11/16-20 and permit purchased. Have a house locked in where I'll be staying. Considering bike but don't mind putting miles on the boots. Will research lightweight packable tri if not, I'll go with brush blinds and a comfy chair. Looking forward to the adventure and harvesting an animal will be a bonus. Excited
txbonecollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2018, 06:44 PM   #155
Texas Kidd
Four Point

Any of y'all hunt LANWR last December? How bad were the rattlers?
Old 08-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #156
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Kidd View Post
Any of y'all hunt LANWR last December? How bad were the rattlers?
Expect rattlers down here all year. Lol
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2018, 09:32 PM   #157
JasonS
Four Point

I stayed in port Isabel last year, plan on staying there this year. Itís not a bad drive.

Has anyone received an email about the 11/16 orientation time changing? The park manager said they planned on changing it from 9am
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2018, 09:39 PM   #158
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

yeah, they sent one out a few days ago... think it is at 3:00 P.M. Said you could scout earlier, but advised against it.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2018, 09:41 PM   #159
JasonS
Four Point

Hmm. Didnít get it. Glad I asked. Thank you
Old 08-28-2018, 09:44 PM   #160
Texas Kidd
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
Expect rattlers down here all year. Lol
Well, then it looks like I'm buying some snake boots.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:17 PM   #161
JasonS
Four Point

I bought snake chaps last year, never wore them. We didnít see any rattlers, though I know a few did. However, ticks are everywhere, little tiny ticks. Thorns! Every bush seems to have thorns. Those yucca plants are the worst, I had a limp for a week after a good stab from them.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:49 AM   #162
mudmauler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Refugio, Tx

mudmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2018, 07:35 AM   #163
TXOUTLAW
Six Point

I hunted there last year rifle.
Thome Park- gate locks, hard to get back in. We had some fishermen leave and we got back in the out side.
If you kill one plan about 5+ hours from ground to cooler
Bring good knives, sharpeners, and a sawzall with a couple of brush blades.
We hunted end of December a couple weeks after the snow. Cold, drizzle,dreary and large rattlers were still seen out, not by us thank God. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
4-wheeler-had a young man with the permit that drug out 5 nilgai one afternoon saying heíd walk the high grass and flush them out. I did not know him but he did not look or sound like there was any handicap by the way he hunted or cleaned the animals he shot. But he did have the permit so guess there was proof of something.
Tough hunt but rewarding. Good luck

TXOUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2018, 01:24 PM   #164
treestandjunky
Ten Point

Hunt In: Basdrop co., Fayette co.

Just curious, I know it says no motorized vehicles, but is that just gas motors they are talking about or what.
Can you get away with an electric bicycle like a quiet cat?
treestandjunky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #165
txbonecollector
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by treestandjunky View Post
Just curious, I know it says no motorized vehicles, but is that just gas motors they are talking about or what.
Can you get away with an electric bicycle like a quiet cat?
Someone said no elec bikes. I asked earlier but have not confirmed with the park office.
txbonecollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #166
JasonS
Four Point

No electric or motorized. Walk or pedal only. This trip is strenuous. Many people have explored options of getting places faster, walk or pedal Is the option. Also, you will be reported if caught entering from campsite ion north side. You must enter from main road and pedal the 5ish miles to back top corner. Game wardens last year were after people entering from camp site side. I also think they were after an electric bike as well. People who bike or walked the miles in, will report those who don’t follow rules. At least that was rules last year. They will cover at orientation.

Last edited by JasonS; 08-29-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:14 PM   #167
hound dog
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Bring band aids for your foot and heel blisters. Lots of walking at Laguna. Bring a bottle of New Skin to repair those blisters. Then suck it up and keep on hunting.
hound dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2018, 03:20 PM   #168
treestandjunky
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
No electric or motorized. Walk or pedal only. This trip is strenuous. Many people have explored options of getting places faster, walk or pedal Is the option. Also, you will be reported if caught entering from campsite ion north side. You must enter from main road and pedal the 5ish miles to back top corner. Game wardens last year were after people entering from camp site side. I also think they were after an electric bike as well. People who bike or walked the miles in, will report those who donít follow rules. At least that was rules last year. They will cover at orientation.
Sounds like I better get my fat butt in shape!

Thank you for the info!
Old 08-29-2018, 03:22 PM   #169
JasonS
Four Point

Padded bike seat!!! I’m not a bike rider, I became one for the trip. My butt was sooo sore, i didnt get gel seat till 2nd day. life was waaaay more bearable

Last edited by JasonS; 08-29-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:27 PM   #170
Reaper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the woods

Quote:
I got drawn for 12/7 to 12/11. Anyone gonna walk it in instead of taking a bike? Thinking about doing that to challenge myself a bit.
I'll combo bike and walk, last time I biked several miles in, then walked from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHunter View Post
Same dates, I’ll be walking the whole way. Does a bike actually make it easier? I feel like carrying a bow and other gear a bike would make it difficult lol

A bike definitely gets you in farther. I added a couple gun mounts to my handle bars to hold my bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
rattling antlers? You get picked for the late hunt? I'll be there 12/7 as well
me too, me too, I can't wait!!
Reaper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2018, 03:30 PM   #171
Reaper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the woods

Quote:
Hope to meet some fellow TBH'ers on 12/7.
Quote:
x2.

I'll be there too, look for a grey 2012 crewmax tundra
Reaper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2018, 03:31 PM   #172
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I'll be there too, look for a grey 2012 crewmax tundra

Will do! Iíll be in a listed 2014 grey Silverado

HighwayHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2018, 12:08 AM   #173
Fargus
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt

For those that have hunted out there before, where was the parking area? Were you allowed to drive as far as the osprey overlook or will we be parking at the ranger station?
Fargus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2018, 12:16 AM   #174
jakefromtx
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
For those that have hunted out there before, where was the parking area? Were you allowed to drive as far as the osprey overlook or will we be parking at the ranger station?
There is a parking lot that you have to park in if you're hunting unit 1. Other wise you are able to park off the side of any road within the refuge as long as you are not on or blocking the road.
jakefromtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #175
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedmoreOutdoor View Post
My group got drawn for the hunt between 11/30 through 12/4. We attended the exotic archery hunt last year. We stayed in Harlingen last year in a hotel, this year we are thinking about staying at Adolph Thomae County Park. Has any of yíall stay at the park in the past, if so what are the amenities like? Such as shower and bathroom facilities, rv sites and tent sites. All help is appreciated, will help us to make our decision.
The facilities at the park are super nice, the attendant when we were there was super chill, we were running 3 tents in our spot and he was cool with it but ymmv
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2018, 10:34 PM   #176
Huntindad
Pope & Young

I don't know what the county park availability is. We've decided to split the cost of a house close by and will cancel my county park RV spot. if they are full & you need a spot...let me know & we'll coordinate cancelling and you picking it up.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:26 AM   #177
NeedmoreOutdoor
Spike

Hunt In: South East Texas and the Texas Hill Country

Thanks for the offer Huntindad. We ended up booking a hotel in Harlingen today. Didn’t want to pull the trailer down and wasn’t looking forward to staying in the tent in the off chance that there were a lot of partiers at the camp grounds that week. It only added about 8 to 10 minutes to our commute to hunt.
NeedmoreOutdoor is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2018, 03:39 PM   #178
mgperez
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Hope to meet some fellow TBH'ers on 12/7.
See ya there! Myself and three others will be staying at the campground.

STOKED!
mgperez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2018, 08:46 PM   #179
countryrebel
Four Point

Hunt In: East TX piney woods

This will be my first trip back since they decided to had the permitting over to TPW, but we have always stayed that the executive inn. It’s the closest to the refuge, there is a stripes on the way for breakfast tacos, and super affordable. Now it is not the Marriott, but for $300 including tax for 7 days with double beds it’s an works for us. The sheets are clean and the bathroom is clean. Other than that after humping it between 6 & 10 miles a day. Shower dinner and bed is all I am looking for. Already booked mine for Nov 30-Dec 4.
countryrebel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2018, 10:22 PM   #180
mgperez
Nubbin' Buck

Hey Manuel,

I just typed you a rather elaborate pm but I couldn’t send it being a nubbin’ buck and all..

Highlights were:

•Bull was killed North of Raymondville
•I’ve preffered patterning and sitting on trail versus a stalk
•Heavier tackle, I shoot 340/125 grain
•Extremely elusive, beyond keen senses!
•Shot placement and be ready ALL day

Matt
mgperez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #181
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

So after watching videos of guys trying to shoot nilgai with a bow Iíve come to the conclusion I need to be ready to take a 60 yard shot. It looks almost impossible to get within 30 yards of a nilgai without a lot of luck

Old 09-04-2018, 11:21 PM   #182
returning egret
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Camo

Quote:
So after watching videos of guys trying to shoot nilgai with a bow Iíve come to the conclusion I need to be ready to take a 60 yard shot. It looks almost impossible to get within 30 yards of a nilgai without a lot of luck
Last year I was there for the exotic only archery hunt. The most enjoyable 5 days I've ever spent hunting. Had a family unit of cows & calves trot by at 70+ yds. Just a matter of luck, if they had come around the other side of the brush I was set up in, they would have been 15 yds. Later I set up in a funnel and had a nice bull trot by at 20 yds. Unfortunately, he came from behind me and I had my bow laying down. You can bet I spent the next days with bow in hand and looking at the close cover not the big field. My bad.

There were some big herds feeding out in the open areas, but they were a long way from any usable cover. Note the theme, trotting. Just about every Nilgai there close to brush was moving with so many hunters wandering about, but use that as an opportunity. Find your self a natural funnel, set up, and stay alert for a quick shot at a moving target.

I drew again for the early Dec archery hunt. Will be getting excited for it soon. Right now I'm excited for the Aransas hunt I also drew. Fun times!
returning egret is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2018, 11:30 PM   #183
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by returning egret View Post
Last year I was there for the exotic only archery hunt. The most enjoyable 5 days I've ever spent hunting. Had a family unit of cows & calves trot by at 70+ yds. Just a matter of luck, if they had come around the other side of the brush I was set up in, they would have been 15 yds. Later I set up in a funnel and had a nice bull trot by at 20 yds. Unfortunately, he came from behind me and I had my bow laying down. You can bet I spent the next days with bow in hand and looking at the close cover not the big field. My bad.

There were some big herds feeding out in the open areas, but they were a long way from any usable cover. Note the theme, trotting. Just about every Nilgai there close to brush was moving with so many hunters wandering about, but use that as an opportunity. Find your self a natural funnel, set up, and stay alert for a quick shot at a moving target.

I drew again for the early Dec archery hunt. Will be getting excited for it soon. Right now I'm excited for the Aransas hunt I also drew. Fun times!

Iím also in for the early December hunt. Think Iím gonna train to potentially make a 70 yard shot but work to set up in funnels and try to catch one slowly moving. From what it looks like people shoot big white tails out there but everyone forgets about them once they see a nilgai lol

Old 09-05-2018, 11:08 AM   #184
mudmauler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Refugio, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by returning egret View Post

Very good explanation of what to expect out there.

mudmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #185
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Cotulla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
I got drawn for Laguna Atascosa 11/16 -11/20. This will be my first time down there. Gonna start getting preparations in order.

Any advice / suggestions are all welcomed and appreciated. Gonna try to scout next month with bike, But hunt utilizing 4 wheeler.(i have the medical release). Wanna see what the backside of unit 1 looks like and maybe the west side of 3.

Iím drawn for the same hunt/ same dates. Just seeing this so I have lots of reading to do. Will be back if questions are not all answered here. Hopefully we can meet up.

Jen-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #186
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
The orientation was the evening before the first day of hunting last year. Itís at 9:00am this year the day before?

So, 9am on the 15th. I read conflicting reports. One said day before and other said on 1rst day...?

Old 09-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #187
gemini2759
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mostly public

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen-Man View Post
So, 9am on the 15th. I read conflicting reports. One said day before and other said on 1rst day...?

You should have got an email. Orientation is 3 p.m. the day before the first day of the hunt.
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #188
Rchr
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmauler View Post

I shot a nilgai with my bow in that angle and it never went down. Aim at it on that spot but shoot only if its quartering away. On the nilgai vitals are between the shoulders not behind the shoulder .
Rchr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #189
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2759 View Post
You should have got an email. Orientation is 3 p.m. the day before the first day of the hunt.

Thanks, didnít get it or missed it.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #190
Jen-Man
Ten Point

So it looks like I will be bringing my bike. Looking for my old wheeled tripod I used years ago at Aransas. And booking a room somewhere. Why did I put in for this hunt solo? Looking forward to meeting yíall on the 15th. Also glad someone finally mentioned WT. what are numbers and quality like?

Old 09-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #191
Rchr
Ten Point

Like some 1 else said, if its raining, going to rain, or there is a chance of rain, leave your bike and walk it in. The dirt turns into clay and you will be carrying your bike.
Been there and done that!
Chiggers, and ticks are everywhere.
Rattlesnakes are out there, get some snake boots or snake chaps and keep your eyes open.
Aluminum tripods are worth every penny.
Game carts; get one or get a friend that has one, you can leave it at the truck if you want and go get it once you killed something but have one handy, just in case. At the moment of truth they are worth their weight in gold.

MOST of all BE mentally ready for the idiots! Lots of them out there. Had a few of them walking around at prime time, trying to sneak in on deer. That happened a bunch of times to me last time I was out there. I had deer feeding near me and getting closer. Suddenly somebody (on 3 different occasions, guys & at one point a woman also) trying to sneak in, they had not seen me. Deer was about 50 yds from me and they were further out they were sneaking in and had a two of them take some hail mary shots. Who knows maybe the high cost of registering for the refuge hunts now has helped to keep them away.
Rchr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2018, 02:36 PM   #192
HighwayHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen-Man View Post
So it looks like I will be bringing my bike. Looking for my old wheeled tripod I used years ago at Aransas. And booking a room somewhere. Why did I put in for this hunt solo? Looking forward to meeting yíall on the 15th. Also glad someone finally mentioned WT. what are numbers and quality like?

Pictures of two bucks from last years hunt (found on old thread) hoping I can find something like these myself. Think Iíd like to take one of these a little more than a nilgai Name:  IMG_2183.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  108.6 KBName:  IMG_2184.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  71.8 KB

Old 09-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #193
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Quote:
Pictures of two bucks from last years hunt (found on old thread) hoping I can find something like these myself. Think Iíd like to take one of these a little more than a nilgai Attachment 923219Attachment 923220

Yep, Iíd be happy with that! Looking forward to getting down there.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #194
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rchr View Post
Like some 1 else said, if its raining, going to rain, or there is a chance of rain, leave your bike and walk it in. The dirt turns into clay and you will be carrying your bike.
Been there and done that!
Chiggers, and ticks are everywhere.
Rattlesnakes are out there, get some snake boots or snake chaps and keep your eyes open.
Aluminum tripods are worth every penny.
Game carts; get one or get a friend that has one, you can leave it at the truck if you want and go get it once you killed something but have one handy, just in case. At the moment of truth they are worth their weight in gold.

MOST of all BE mentally ready for the idiots! Lots of them out there. Had a few of them walking around at prime time, trying to sneak in on deer. That happened a bunch of times to me last time I was out there. I had deer feeding near me and getting closer. Suddenly somebody (on 3 different occasions, guys & at one point a woman also) trying to sneak in, they had not seen me. Deer was about 50 yds from me and they were further out they were sneaking in and had a two of them take some hail mary shots. Who knows maybe the high cost of registering for the refuge hunts now has helped to keep them away.

Thanks, ok, get ready for idiots. Mmmm thatís a tough one. Just hope being my first trip I donít end up being one of those. Lots of good info. I will be as prepared as I can. Thanks again.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #195
txhoghunter73
Ten Point

Hunt In: Henly TX, Kerrville TX, and Blanco TX.

I know we cannot bait, and cannot install trail cams. Can we use scent attractants? Or cover scents?
txhoghunter73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2018, 07:20 PM   #196
treestandjunky
Ten Point

I keep reading that people who have done this before use aluminum tripods, but I can't seem to find an actual aluminum one anywhere on the market.

So who makes them and where do you get them?
Old 09-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #197
gemini2759
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mostly public

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
I know we cannot bait, and cannot install trail cams. Can we use scent attractants? Or cover scents?
Yes.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2018, 10:27 PM   #198
Squattingcoyote
Spike

Hunt In: Waller, Harris, Robertson, Goliad, Lavaca, Presidio Co.. Public also

Quote:
I keep reading that people who have done this before use aluminum tripods, but I can't seem to find an actual aluminum one anywhere on the market.

I have the Millenium T-100 and it's a fine tripod. I've used it in LANWR as well as other places. Easy to transport over the shoulder, sets up quick and quiet. There are 4' leg extensions available if you wanted to get up higher somewhere else.
Squattingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 06:52 AM   #199
RGV Hunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can go legally

Quote:

There are people who sell them on facebook market place. Look them up in RGV Market Place in face book.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
RGV Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 11:48 PM   #200
Huntindad
Pope & Young

how big or how many ice chest do you need for a medium size bull or cow? I have 2 coleman 120's I was gonna bring.