Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-25-2018, 10:46 PM   #151
GhostSkull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas n Oklahoma

Got a lead on a couple of super last minute lease openings north of Snow...if anyone is interested or knows someone that might be interested send me a pm
GhostSkull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #152
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Push County Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostSkull View Post
Got a lead on a couple of super last minute lease openings north of Snow...if anyone is interested or knows someone that might be interested send me a pm
Sent a PM

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
arrowslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 01:56 AM   #153
caseys95m3
Six Point

Hunt In: A new place every year

Hey gents! I’ve been bowhunting (almost) exclusively in SE OK the last 9 years, primarily public land. This July the wife and I purchased a property north of cloudy that borders Honobia WMA. I’m shocked I didn’t see this thread sooner or else I would have said hi already. Reading some of your posts of what to expect in the area seem spot on with what I’ve seen in the short time I’ve been around. I’m more familiar with Atoka County so look forward to sharing stories and possibly meeting some of my new fellow neighbors. I’ll be up this weekend for some last minute work and opening day. Anyone heading out this weekend?
caseys95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 09:13 AM   #154
darralld
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiehunter View Post
Just south of Clayton and we have bear, lot of bear, so many bear they tear up what that don't crap on, but just like a lot of other places, they disappear after the acorns start to fall.
Been hunting spring turkeys down there for the last 40 years. Have some good friends that live down there about 10 miles or so south of Clayton. He lives right by the turn you take that takes you up the mountain. Has the big horse arena out by the road. Love hunting that area. Just to far to drive every weekend of deer season. Really want to get down there & do some bear hunting. Just never seem to have the time.
darralld is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 07:43 PM   #155
Okiehunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Push county OK

Quote:
Hey gents! I’ve been bowhunting (almost) exclusively in SE OK the last 9 years, primarily public land. This July the wife and I purchased a property north of cloudy that borders Honobia WMA. I’m shocked I didn’t see this thread sooner or else I would have said hi already. Reading some of your posts of what to expect in the area seem spot on with what I’ve seen in the short time I’ve been around. I’m more familiar with Atoka County so look forward to sharing stories and possibly meeting some of my new fellow neighbors. I’ll be up this weekend for some last minute work and opening day. Anyone heading out this weekend?

Looks like I am going to go Friday night and put out some handcorn and check a few cameras. Got a few new areas we are hunting and not sure what will be going on at them. Not planning to stay and hunt the first, I think I will save vacation days for cooler and closer to the rut. Acorns always seem to screw up the first few weeks (or longer) of season anyway.
Okiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 09:18 PM   #156
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiehunter View Post
Looks like I am going to go Friday night and put out some handcorn and check a few cameras. Got a few new areas we are hunting and not sure what will be going on at them. Not planning to stay and hunt the first, I think I will save vacation days for cooler and closer to the rut. Acorns always seem to screw up the first few weeks (or longer) of season anyway.

Agree with this tactic. Let the girls start smelling right and we will see more daytime activity. My favorite time is late ML season to the first week of November.
Booner Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2018, 05:37 PM   #157
caseys95m3
Six Point

Hunt In: A new place every year

Anyone bear hunting this season?
caseys95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #158
mww982
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseys95m3 View Post
Anyone bear hunting this season?
Another lease member and I have put out a stand for bears. Going to try it this year. Have been baiting weekly up there for the last 3 weeks. Headed up Sunday to restock the bait station, put another barrel out. Check all cameras and head home. Headed up next Wednesday to hunt through the weekend. Hopefully we get a bear or a deer on the ground.
mww982 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2018, 06:12 PM   #159
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Makes me want to be there Monday!🤷🏼*♂️

Old 09-30-2018, 01:06 AM   #160
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post
Makes me want to be there Monday!🤷🏼*♂️

That double main beam is special. Good luck getting on him.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #161
B G
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas, Pushmataha OK

Name:  WGI_0003.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  45.7 KB

Name:  WGI_0004.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  46.2 KB

Name:  WGI_0005.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  46.7 KB

Name:  WGI_0006.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  46.1 KB

Got this guy making a scrape behind one of my stands next to a clover plot. Hoping to see him later this week when I get back up there. Nothing like the camera pull the day before season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_iOSPpAc5k

Dang bear tried again too!
B G is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2018, 01:30 AM   #162
mtnbucks26
Spike

Hunt In: Clay County Tx, Push Co Ok

Hi Everyone! First time posting on this thread ... thought ide join in on the fun!! Guess ill start out by giving you a little background on myself. Grew up in Virginia hunting big timber bucks but not mtns. Currently I'm 26 yrs young. Killed a cpl nice ones over the yrs while growing up there. When I was 11 I was invited to hunt in north Texas clay county specifically. Lots of acres around it not hunted. 16k acres and 22k acres on the other side. Shot about 12 bucks since then ranging from 130-155 inches.

I eventually moved to Texas and have currently been living in the valley ranch area for around 5 yrs. Ive enjoyed my hunting in Texas but honestly its just not the same as being in big timber and its gotten to the point I've lost interest in the Texas rifle hunting. Sitting in a bling with all the comforts you can imagine isn't really hunting its more like killing. It literally got to the point If I can see the deer with binos I can shoot it. Along with these reasons as well as the other long term members I hunted with out there for close to 15yrs expanding there family and basically taking over the entire lease making rules where I can and can't hunt and wanting to hunt my locations I invest time and money but not okay to hunt anywhere else(I bought, ran, and filled all 7 feeders on the lease and maintained all the blinds as they didn't have time). Also, they didn't want me bowhunting anymore as they believe it was unfair since they don't want to bow hunt. Really I think its fear of shooting a big buck lol! Anyways rant over!

For these reasons I started looking for a last minute bow lease in se Oklahoma this year to get back to my childhood roots and get back to playing chess with big bucks in big timber. I've always heard about pushmataha ok and I have seen the quality genetics this county can produce and honestly much bigger than any north Texas buck ive seen that typically cap out around 140 with most much smaller and the occasional bigger one.(not that anything is wrong with a 140 inch deer lol). I also liked the idea of being able to hunt in the mtns and the challenge it poses. So long story short I secured 160 acres in push co about 20 minutes NE of antlers on a creek. I payed for the lease sight unseen. Little did I know how challenging and rugged this terrain is once actually taking a look at the property. I couldnt believe how steep, thick, and rocky the property is. Its been a real challenge trying to learn the property and where the deer travel. Property has a creek running right through it and some bottom land on either side before going straight up with multiple nice benches etc. Lots of rocks oh and lots of snakes!! I've had a camera out for 3 weeks on the top of the ridge with only two does coming in everyday not the very first buck. I'm now learning these bucks don't come to these easily accessible areas at all. Im assuming this is normal?

I picked a cpl last minute stand locations on Sunday hand fed some feed and put out three more cameras at lower elevation and hard to access areas and low and behold I got my first buck pic this evening when I pulled the card after getting skunked on new stand location. (not surprised being so last minute). ill post picture once I figure out how to do that. Everytime I try it says upload failed. Love to share photo as this 3 yr old has a lot of potential. Just needs one more year.

I wanted to thank you all for this thread its amazing and honestly reading through the old ones from years past has helped educate me immensely and speed up my learning process(I still have a long way to go). It also helped me learn about the county and the types of other guys I may get to know from Texas that hunt the area.

Anyone else hunt today? All I saw were two does all day. Ill be up here trying to learn till Thursday before returning to real world(hopefully only temporarily). Im staying at budget inn at antlers. Was curious if other tbh members ever stay here. Unfortunately my place is too rugged and steep for a camper. Sorry for long post and look forward to getting to know everyone! Good luck to anyone else who may be hunting tomorrow!
Best,
Max

Last edited by mtnbucks26; 10-02-2018 at 02:25 AM.
mtnbucks26 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2018, 01:47 AM   #163
mww982
Eight Point

Two of us are headed up there tomorrow, if you are staying in Antlers you must be hunting not too far from where we are. We are 15 minutes east of Antler's. Both of us are focused on bear hunting this weekend, not saying that I wouldn't shoot a deer if I saw one.

Good luck!
Old 10-02-2018, 02:08 AM   #164
monsterspike
Eight Point

mtnbucks, i was hunting for a paragraph, hoping you have better luck than me. hahaa looking forward to pics! lots and lots of pics!
monsterspike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2018, 02:09 AM   #165
mtnbucks26
Spike

Yea the deer movement seems to be mostly at night unfortunately! Im not too far from antlers about 20 minutes North. Ide be interested in trying the bear hunting I've never done it before. Maybe next year as this year was so last minute . The guys that leased property before me apparently only hunted like 3 times in 3 yrs(who knows if thats true) story is they own a bunch of companies and had no time. but they had left a camera out there and abandoned it basically ... cool thing was it had been taking pics for like 8 months, had big bear on it 8/22 ill try to post pic. made me want to get a license . Good luck tom! Hope you get into them! I better get to sleep or I won't want to wake up!
Old 10-02-2018, 02:14 AM   #166
mtnbucks26
Spike

monsterspike, hahah paragraphs would have probably been appropriate lol! I'm trying to post the ones I have , but it keeps saying file upload failed. Not sure why? Ill try again tomorrow !
Old 10-02-2018, 02:22 AM   #167
monsterspike
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbucks26 View Post
monsterspike, hahah paragraphs would have probably been appropriate lol! I'm trying to post the ones I have , but it keeps saying file upload failed. Not sure why? Ill try again tomorrow !
it sounds like a gnarly piece of real estate, and i imagine it truly whooped those corporate suit and tie boys. the bucks are there. think like a deer, get it done.
monsterspike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #168
B G
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mww982 View Post
Two of us are headed up there tomorrow, if you are staying in Antlers you must be hunting not too far from where we are. We are 15 minutes east of Antler's. Both of us are focused on bear hunting this weekend, not saying that I wouldn't shoot a deer if I saw one.

Good luck!
Three of us! And ****it kill that bear that keeps messing with my feeder. Deer only for me this year. Bear tag wasnít in the budget.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:41 PM   #169
mtnbucks26
Spike

monsterspike hahah thats too funny one of the trail cam photos snapped a shot of them and they looked pretty defeated , heads sunk and leaning up against feeder. Then they never returned or came back for one stand, game camera, and two feeders. Hunted this am and had a boar come in just before light . He ate corn for 30 minutes and left literally just as I got ready to shoot. Literally needed 5 more minutes. He must have knew it too! No deer movement but noticed a fresh scrape nearby on my way out that was not there a cpl days ago. The pictures I'm trying to upload are jpeg anyone have any idea why it keeps failing to upload?
Old 10-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #170
mww982
Eight Point

Quote:
monsterspike hahah thats too funny one of the trail cam photos snapped a shot of them and they looked pretty defeated , heads sunk and leaning up against feeder. Then they never returned or came back for one stand, game camera, and two feeders. Hunted this am and had a boar come in just before light . He ate corn for 30 minutes and left literally just as I got ready to shoot. Literally needed 5 more minutes. He must have knew it too! No deer movement but noticed a fresh scrape nearby on my way out that was not there a cpl days ago. The pictures I'm trying to upload are jpeg anyone have any idea why it keeps failing to upload?

Staying at the budget tonight, holler at me this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2018, 09:57 PM   #171
Vantage Point
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cottle Co., Antlers, OK., Salem, Mo.

I think many of us hunt in a tight proximity.

Vantage Point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2018, 06:58 AM   #172
B G
Six Point

Quote:
Megapixel is to high on the pics. Email them to yourself at a lower resolution, save them from the email to saved photos on the computer, them try to upload them to TBH. I have to do that with my higher megapixel cam photos.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:51 PM   #173
mtnbucks26
Spike

mww982 sorry I missed you last night. Was exhausted once I got back to hotel and didn't check the forum. Im staying here tonight as well. I'm in room 133.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:59 PM   #174
mtnbucks26
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by B G View Post
Megapixel is to high on the pics. Email them to yourself at a lower resolution, save them from the email to saved photos on the computer, them try to upload them to TBH. I have to do that with my higher megapixel cam photos.
B G thank You very much for advice! I will do that today and try posting again! Got 50 photos of that really nice three year old last night all between 11pm and 430am. He might be tempting if he came past in daylight even with his spindly horns. Was skunked last night and this am. Seems like a lot of the deer activity is at night. Checked my other trail cam which is deepest and hardest to access near spot with large rub and only had one photo on it and the deers head is down! Thing that interests me most is that it was a single deer making me think maybe a buck and in daylight. Going to move it further back on another tree and put more feed out this afternoon before the evening hunt. Good luck to anyone out there today! So far I sure am getting beat up by these deer, but I guess I should expect that with these temps.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:59 PM   #175
chocolatelabs
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseys95m3 View Post
Hey gents! Iíve been bowhunting (almost) exclusively in SE OK the last 9 years, primarily public land. This July the wife and I purchased a property north of cloudy that borders Honobia WMA. Iím shocked I didnít see this thread sooner or else I would have said hi already. Reading some of your posts of what to expect in the area seem spot on with what Iíve seen in the short time Iíve been around. Iím more familiar with Atoka County so look forward to sharing stories and possibly meeting some of my new fellow neighbors. Iíll be up this weekend for some last minute work and opening day. Anyone heading out this weekend?
I also hunt near there. Watch out for your cameras. I had 4 stolen last fall...
chocolatelabs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2018, 01:20 PM   #176
mtnbucks26
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatelabs View Post
I also hunt near there. Watch out for your cameras. I had 4 stolen last fall...

Yea I was worried about that very worried but I'm landlocked on all sides and its very rugged terrain. And I'm not near the kiamichi wilderness which I understand is where a lot of the problems occur. edit*Sorry just realized you are talking about a different area to a different member.

Last edited by mtnbucks26; 10-03-2018 at 01:24 PM. Reason: wrong person
Old 10-03-2018, 06:13 PM   #177
arrowslinger
Ten Point

I will be up Thursday night for the weekend. There have already been some great deer taken in Ok this week. Hopefully we see some movement with the rainy weather this weekend.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:19 PM   #178
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hi Everyone! First time posting on this thread ... thought ide join in on the fun!! Guess ill start out by giving you a little background on myself. Grew up in Virginia hunting big timber bucks but not mtns. Currently I'm 26 yrs young. Killed a cpl nice ones over the yrs while growing up there. When I was 11 I was invited to hunt in north Texas clay county specifically. Lots of acres around it not hunted. 16k acres and 22k acres on the other side. Shot about 12 bucks since then ranging from 130-155 inches.

I eventually moved to Texas and have currently been living in the valley ranch area for around 5 yrs. Ive enjoyed my hunting in Texas but honestly its just not the same as being in big timber and its gotten to the point I've lost interest in the Texas rifle hunting. Sitting in a bling with all the comforts you can imagine isn't really hunting its more like killing. It literally got to the point If I can see the deer with binos I can shoot it. Along with these reasons as well as the other long term members I hunted with out there for close to 15yrs expanding there family and basically taking over the entire lease making rules where I can and can't hunt and wanting to hunt my locations I invest time and money but not okay to hunt anywhere else(I bought, ran, and filled all 7 feeders on the lease and maintained all the blinds as they didn't have time). Also, they didn't want me bowhunting anymore as they believe it was unfair since they don't want to bow hunt. Really I think its fear of shooting a big buck lol! Anyways rant over!

For these reasons I started looking for a last minute bow lease in se Oklahoma this year to get back to my childhood roots and get back to playing chess with big bucks in big timber. I've always heard about pushmataha ok and I have seen the quality genetics this county can produce and honestly much bigger than any north Texas buck ive seen that typically cap out around 140 with most much smaller and the occasional bigger one.(not that anything is wrong with a 140 inch deer lol). I also liked the idea of being able to hunt in the mtns and the challenge it poses. So long story short I secured 160 acres in push co about 20 minutes NE of antlers on a creek. I payed for the lease sight unseen. Little did I know how challenging and rugged this terrain is once actually taking a look at the property. I couldnt believe how steep, thick, and rocky the property is. Its been a real challenge trying to learn the property and where the deer travel. Property has a creek running right through it and some bottom land on either side before going straight up with multiple nice benches etc. Lots of rocks oh and lots of snakes!! I've had a camera out for 3 weeks on the top of the ridge with only two does coming in everyday not the very first buck. I'm now learning these bucks don't come to these easily accessible areas at all. Im assuming this is normal?

I picked a cpl last minute stand locations on Sunday hand fed some feed and put out three more cameras at lower elevation and hard to access areas and low and behold I got my first buck pic this evening when I pulled the card after getting skunked on new stand location. (not surprised being so last minute). ill post picture once I figure out how to do that. Everytime I try it says upload failed. Love to share photo as this 3 yr old has a lot of potential. Just needs one more year.

I wanted to thank you all for this thread its amazing and honestly reading through the old ones from years past has helped educate me immensely and speed up my learning process(I still have a long way to go). It also helped me learn about the county and the types of other guys I may get to know from Texas that hunt the area.

Anyone else hunt today? All I saw were two does all day. Ill be up here trying to learn till Thursday before returning to real world(hopefully only temporarily). Im staying at budget inn at antlers. Was curious if other tbh members ever stay here. Unfortunately my place is too rugged and steep for a camper. Sorry for long post and look forward to getting to know everyone! Good luck to anyone else who may be hunting tomorrow!
Best,
Max

Good write up, Max. Welcome. Push county has a tremendous amount to offer. Stick with it and put in the scouting effort and it will pay back in spades! I look forward to following along on your adventure.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:03 PM   #179
mww982
Eight Point

Quote:
mww982 sorry I missed you last night. Was exhausted once I got back to hotel and didn't check the forum. Im staying here tonight as well. I'm in room 133.

You awake?

Old 10-03-2018, 10:44 PM   #180
B G
Six Point

Made the evening hunt today, had 2-3 does slink through in the young pines on the edge of a small food plot with mineral sight and oak tree that is almost done dropping acorns. Stand is in the oak tree and they never came out into the plot before dark. First hunt of the season but couldn’t get it done. Gonna hunt a different plot in the morning, just not sure if it should be the clover where the 8 made the scrape or the oats/last bite mix.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:11 AM   #181
mtnbucks26
Spike

Okay Lets see here come the bomb of photos. Ill try as best as I can to clarify whats what. Ill start out with the first buck thats showed up on camera. He first showed himself on camera evening of 9/30. Then last night he was there from 11pm to 430am . Literally 20 yards from the tree I'm hunting in! How old do you guys think he is? I'm thinking 3.5 yrs old ? Heck of a good looking buck lots of potential. Cant imagine what he would look like next year. The owner of the property said he has some photos of his dad from a cpl years ago. Ill post if he sends them to me.

Name:  IMG_0350.jpeg
Views: 298
Size:  35.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0348.jpeg
Views: 294
Size:  33.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0347.jpeg
Size:  34.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0322.jpeg
Size:  33.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0321.jpeg
Size:  36.9 KB
Old 10-04-2018, 12:12 AM   #182
mtnbucks26
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mww982 View Post
You awake?

Still awake. I didnt finish dinner at Mexican place till about 930
Old 10-04-2018, 12:18 AM   #183
GhostSkull
Ten Point

That deerís older than 3 1/2....
Old 10-04-2018, 12:21 AM   #184
mtnbucks26
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by B G View Post
Made the evening hunt today, had 2-3 does slink through in the young pines on the edge of a small food plot with mineral sight and oak tree that is almost done dropping acorns. Stand is in the oak tree and they never came out into the plot before dark. First hunt of the season but couldnít get it done. Gonna hunt a different plot in the morning, just not sure if it should be the clover where the 8 made the scrape or the oats/last bite mix.
B G thanks for help with photos that worked ! I was skunked again at a new stand location I hunted. I hiked way back into the timber... maybe too far lol and basically did like a hang and hunt type deal with my climber. Had to trim some branches with hand saw and made some noise ... probably didn't help the cause either. But man it looks like a good spot ! I hope you have better luck than I have been having! Im sure its only a matter of time before you get into them! Here is a cpl pictures from my stand tonight. Wanted to get higher in the tree, but I didn't pick a very good tree to climb.

Name:  IMG_0365.jpeg
Views: 299
Size:  50.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0368.jpeg
Views: 300
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0367.jpeg
Views: 300
Size:  52.7 KB
Old 10-04-2018, 12:25 AM   #185
mtnbucks26
Spike

Was looking at the pictures I got off the abandoned trail camera on the property and came across this buck that looks like the buck I am getting photos of now. Let me know your opinions. I also found the left side shed to this buck on Sunday while walking around for new place for my climber.

Name:  IMG_0355.jpeg
Views: 294
Size:  30.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0354.jpeg
Views: 292
Size:  26.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0353.jpeg
Views: 293
Size:  33.4 KB
Old 10-04-2018, 12:36 AM   #186
mtnbucks26
Spike

Quote:
That deerís older than 3 1/2....
Thats why I wanted your opinions . Would be a heck of a deer to pass on with that width and drop tine . He just seems pencil horned to me. Ill post another photo of him with a side view . There is quite a difference in size in those two bucks I posted so if it is the same deer its quite a jump from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2. And like you said I'm not sure he isn't older. Its unusual for a young deer to have trash like that around the bases.

Name:  IMG_0349.jpeg
Views: 290
Size:  34.1 KB

Name:  unnamed-7.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  14.6 KB

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  24.9 KB Ill also post a picture of the shed I found.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:40 AM   #187
GhostSkull
Ten Point

I can’t make 5 1/2 out of him, I’m thinking 4 1/2...but I’d let him walk and wait for that double main beam to show..
Old 10-04-2018, 12:44 AM   #188
mtnbucks26
Spike

Here is one more from the side. You can see he almost has a sticker coming off his g3 . Just not seeing the mass like I would think on an older deer and his neck seems small to me. But I could be wrong new to the area and what the deer look like here. You all should tell me he is very old so then I can shoot him without feeling bad about what he would have been! Very interested to hear all your opinions!! Thank you!

Name:  unnamed-8.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  6.7 KB
Old 10-04-2018, 12:45 AM   #189
mtnbucks26
Spike

Quote:
I canít make 5 1/2 out of him, Iím thinking 4 1/2...but Iíd let him walk and wait for that double main beam to show..
Yes, he has some neat genetics working for him and ide like to see what he turns into!
Old 10-04-2018, 12:47 AM   #190
mtnbucks26
Spike

Hoping to get an inventory soon on whats all on the property since this is the only buck on camera thus far.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:22 AM   #191
Vantage Point
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cottle Co., Antlers, OK., Salem, Mo.

Mtnbucks26 Iíd shoot that deer. Iíd guess 4 year old at least. Feeding protein to help with putting mass on him is a real gamble, general the bears find it. It can get expensive feeding the bears. The deer is mature and heís a good one. Good luck this season!

Vantage Point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 08:50 AM   #192
Deathrow Jethro
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX in a High Fence

Mtnbucks, I also think that buck is 4.5 and he is certainly a good looking one. Welcome to the "Green Screen".

I bet ya that you put out the feed & maybe a food plot & those bucks will be all over you. They probably haven't had feed at there leisure so they are travelling to a food source. Just an idea though, not telling you what to do by any means.

Last edited by Deathrow Jethro; 10-04-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Deathrow Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #193
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Mtnbucks I would say 4.5. The mass comes in at 5.5+ in my opinion. He is a shooter to me.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:59 PM   #194
mtnbucks26
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner Sooner View Post
Good write up, Max. Welcome. Push county has a tremendous amount to offer. Stick with it and put in the scouting effort and it will pay back in spades! I look forward to following along on your adventure.
Thank you for the warm welcome! Glad to be part of this community. I love that I can hunt vicariously through you all when I am stuck working lol! One thing I have figured out is that it is definitely always an adventure hunting push, which I love. Had to head back to Dallas today after the morning hunt. Skunked again. I expect things to pick up in the next few weeks. Hoping to make it back in next week or so! Anxious to see what I pick up on the new cameras I put out.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:07 PM   #195
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thank you for the warm welcome! Glad to be part of this community. I love that I can hunt vicariously through you all when I am stuck working lol! One thing I have figured out is that it is definitely always an adventure hunting push, which I love. Had to head back to Dallas today after the morning hunt. Skunked again. I expect things to pick up in the next few weeks. Hoping to make it back in next week or so! Anxious to see what I pick up on the new cameras I put out.

The best time to be in the woods in Push county is still yet to come. You are good.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:08 PM   #196
mtnbucks26
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage Point View Post
Mtnbucks26 Iíd shoot that deer. Iíd guess 4 year old at least. Feeding protein to help with putting mass on him is a real gamble, general the bears find it. It can get expensive feeding the bears. The deer is mature and heís a good one. Good luck this season!

Maybe he will be put on the hit list ! I am sorta curious what he would turn into next yr, but never know could go ghost on me. Was thinking about feeding protein in off season to see if that helps. Cant imagine what he would look like with proper amount of protein. Do they eat the protein out here? In Texas the deer on my ranch didn't like the protein pellets but I had really good luck feeding corn and roasted soybeans . Has anyone used that combo in push co? I put some out and I can't tell if the deer are just eating the corn and hogs eating soybeans. Was going to set up bear proof feeders .... bought everything I needed to do it but ran out of time before season started and didn't want to make too much commotion running everything off property so close to season. Will set them up post season I guess. Its just me out here doing all the work as my dad likes to hunt with me, but not as much when I was younger and he lives out of state now.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:17 PM   #197
mtnbucks26
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrow Jethro View Post
Mtnbucks, I also think that buck is 4.5 and he is certainly a good looking one. Welcome to the "Green Screen".

I bet ya that you put out the feed & maybe a food plot & those bucks will be all over you. They probably haven't had feed at there leisure so they are travelling to a food source. Just an idea though, not telling you what to do by any means.
I want to put in food plots but I am not sure how easy that will be with the rocky terrain. I think I could clear an area in the bottom... it appears to have some decent soil and less rocky . Or just till up the logging road and give it a try, but don't know if that would be large enough to make a difference. Could be a good kill plot tho. What do you recommend planting? I know with the right amount of fertilizer and lime and lots of lime I could get something to grow just a matter of avoiding all the roots and rocks.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:20 PM   #198
mtnbucks26
Spike

Quote:
The best time to be in the woods in Push county is still yet to come. You are good.
Booner when do you typically see the best rutting activity? Im used to nov 7th typically being close to peak
Old 10-04-2018, 11:23 PM   #199
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Booner when do you typically see the best rutting activity? Im used to nov 7th typically being close to peak

I think you are about right. The most pre-rut activity Iíve seen in the mountains of Push county is the last 10 days of October to the first week to 10 days of November....give or take a few days. That chase phase is magical.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #200
mtnbucks26
Spike

Quote:
I think you are about right. The most pre-rut activity Iíve seen in the mountains of Push county is the last 10 days of October to the first week to 10 days of November....give or take a few days. That chase phase is magical.
Trying to plan out a week to ten days I can take off at the end of October beginning of November. Maybe the 28th to the 7th or something like that. Will try and get my dad to commit to those dates as well. Ive heard the bucks rut super hard up there and looking forward to my first time experiencing it. Im sure that drop tine buck will be on his feet in daylight looking for does. Ive left the main creek bottom alone this past week as I am trying to save it for the rut. I didn't want to risk bumping anything out of there. Figure you never know what may show up... as I would think bucks will follow creek potentially very far checking the bottom land for hot does