• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Efren View Post
    Let me know when you're going. I'm interested as well
    PM sent

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
    how much deer movement did you see?? Any luck out there besides deer driving "hunters"??

There are some young bucks that almost seem to want to start chasing does around. Have seen lots of scrape activity. Going to try some mock scrapes and see what happens. I spotted a nice 8 two days ago that appeared to be "cruising" mid day.
    Saw zero deer, and two Aoudad. I had my 12 year old son with me so we did not hunt the mornings and I think with that super moon they just were not moving in the evenings. My boy wanted to fish way too much so we weren't walking in to hunt until around 3pm. I think if we hunted the mornings and mid-day we would have done much better. We did run off a buck on Saturday afternoon getting to our spot, and again on Sunday afternoon which was within 20 yards of us. Also had something walk up on us Saturday evening but vegetation is so dense we couldn't see squat. I'm trying to learn Area 2 so when I go down by myself this weekend I'll be spending a lot of time in there.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
      PM sent

Saw zero deer, and two Aoudad. I had my 12 year old son with me so we did not hunt the mornings and I think with that super moon they just were not moving in the evenings. My boy wanted to fish way too much so we weren't walking in to hunt until around 3pm. I think if we hunted the mornings and mid-day we would have done much better. We did run off a buck on Saturday afternoon getting to our spot, and again on Sunday afternoon which was within 20 yards of us. Also had something walk up on us Saturday evening but vegetation is so dense we couldn't see squat. I'm trying to learn Area 2 so when I go down by myself this weekend I'll be spending a lot of time in there.
      Cool... Did you guys get into any strippers?? I hear they are schooling near the 277 bridges in the evenings. Might yak out there and try to get into them if the wind is slack later today or tomorrow.

Comment

Cool... Did you guys get into any strippers?? I hear they are schooling near the 277 bridges in the evenings. Might yak out there and try to get into them if the wind is slack later today or tomorrow.
        If there are a bunch of strippers hanging out there then I might be interested as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dc1986 View Post
          If there are a bunch of strippers hanging out there then I might be interested as well.
          I meant striped bass but you can see where my mind was last night

Comment

No we were mostly out over by the 90 bridge area then back in the coves near Spur 406 camp and outside Area 2. Caught a lot of small bass. I'd *love* to learn to find the Stripers out there though. I'm heading down tomorrow and I'll have the boat, if you wanna go chase them let me know. I'll probably be rolling in kinda late so most likely setup camp and out to hunt but I'll be alone til Friday so after the morning hunt and midday I may go run over there either way. People looking for birds in the Fall or pitching or trolling crankbaits or what?

Originally posted by dc1986 View Post
            They hitting on the greenbacks? I better stock up on those just in case I find a good school running around.

Comment

^^^^
              Most of the time when the wind is slack (not often on Amistad) you can find them under birds. Usually any flats with vegetation close to deep water seem to be the best spots. Right now from what I understand they are schooling by the 277 bridges(highway bridge and the old flooded out bridge). Not really sure for the reason but it maybe there is a lot of bait in those areas due to all of the recently flooded vegetation. I will be working evening shift Friday or I would join you.

As for baits, rattle traps and spoons should be good. My go to bait for schooling fish are the Rapala X-rap. I like the glass ghost color in the four inch model but matching your lure to the bait the fish are hitting is obviously best. Only down fall to the xrap is that it will only go so deep. There are some similar model of lures that dive deeper but I have no experience with them. Additionally, it's been my experience that smaller fish will take the bait shallower so you will have more bites but smaller fish. Any similar type slash bait should work well.

I might be out hunting area 1 Thursday afternoon. Where are you going to set up camp??

Comment

Thanks for the heads up I'll put that info to good use.

I usually camp over at Spur 406 but I had a little issue with some late night footsteps around my tent last time, no mistaking footsteps of a two-legged critter. That and it's pretty far from where I launch so I'm thinking I'll just hit San Pedro this time. Look for the blue Ram and the Boatright attached. I'm planning to launch and hit the back of Area 2 on Thursday if you'd rather do that you're welcome aboard.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up I'll put that info to good use.

I usually camp over at Spur 406 but I had a little issue with some late night footsteps around my tent last time, no mistaking footsteps of a two-legged critter. That and it's pretty far from where I launch so I'm thinking I'll just hit San Pedro this time. Look for the blue Ram and the Boatright attached. I'm planning to launch and hit the back of Area 2 on Thursday if you'd rather do that you're welcome aboard.
                  I appreciate the offer but I am going in early to work on a ground blind and to make a mock scrape. I will swing by San Pedro afterwards. I got a lure you and your son can try on the stripers. Good luck on the afternoon hunt.

Comment

I appreciate the offer but I am going in early to work on a ground blind and to make a mock scrape. I will swing by San Pedro afterwards. I got a lure you and your son can try on the stripers. Good luck on the afternoon hunt.
                    Tried to send you a PM but your box is full.
                    Gonna be camping at Spur 406 with a few friends Tuesday through probably Sat/Sun or so. Figured I'd drop you a line and see how things have been. We'll most likely be hitting Area 2 a lot I think.

Comment

I have been wanting to hunt out here for many years. I plan on setting up one or two weekday hunts for next year. Ya'll have some good info. Tagged to continue to follow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Anybody going December 20-23?

Comment

@ justletmein: I'm really interesting in going! I'm from Eagle Pass and have been wanting to go for a while. I know the rut is on this part of Texas..

Comment

Originally posted by rola0414 View Post
                            @ justletmein: I'm really interesting in going! I'm from Eagle Pass and have been wanting to go for a while. I know the rut is on this part of Texas..
                            PM sent

Comment

Anybody going December 20-23?
                              I will be.

Comment

I will be.......... stuck at work .! Yall Should do a live hunt .!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X