Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 06-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #51
Txfire409
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmCrusher View Post
Txfire I really appreciate the offer. Not many people in the country would do that for a stranger and your only a few miles away. If you want we can go the range and shoot the bows and guns. I've never shot a Glock and I'd love to shoot a 10mm. Unfortunately I would have to decline your offer to borrow it as I already bought my bear pistol before I saw your post.
Youre welcome. Believe me when I say that tbh is the only site I would offer to do that on. There are some really great people on here.
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 12:25 PM   #52
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Hunter View Post
Texas hunting buddy was Moose Hunting up in Kenai area in the early 80's, he has family up there, and they stopped in a local hideaway bar in the middle of nowhere. He was showing off his Rugger 44 mag and my comment above was the response he got from the locals at the bar. I found the comment pretty humorous and have never forgot it... I have another friend that actually lives in North Pole Alaska and he takes a 12 gauge on a sling with buck shot & slugs as a constant companion when in the bush.

I knew you meant it as humor but some may not.

If I’m ever in bear country I’ll carry bear spray but you can bet I will still have the largest handgun I can comfortably control as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #53
Still Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico

Statistically the bear spray is a far more effective repellent.
Still Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 03:22 PM   #54
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Quote:
I just want to thank everyone for taking your time to give me your advice and stories to help me decide on what to use to protect my self and my family on what I hope to be an awesome vacation.

After listening to everyone's advice and talking to the AK game officer, I decided to bring the 12 gauge and get a .44mag. Did some research and decided I'd get a 6.5" Smith & Wesson 629 and called my local gun shop first and he had a used one. Turns out it was his buddy's who used it for competition shooting. Custom trigger and hammer, S&W Performance Center trigger job, smooth cylinder, ported up top at the 6" mark, plus 150 rounds of ammo. Beyond awesome gun, and I got it for $800. Couldn't be happier or luckier ( probably should have bought a lottery ticket after that).

Thanks again
Awesome revolver!!
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 03:44 PM   #55
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Hunter View Post
Statistically the bear spray is a far more effective repellent.
Those statistics are from a study done by Dr. Smith, I would take them with a grain of salt. This quote is from an article comparing the effectiveness of spray vs firearms
"In Tom Smith’s bear-spray research, just 10 of 72 bear-spray incidents involved charging bears. Most incidents involved curious or non-aggressive bears. In contrast, his gun study examined bear attacks only. Comparing the two studies is like comparing the injury rate for people picking up apples to the injury rate for people picking up live hand grenades."

This quote was taken directly from Dr. Smith's paper.
"In 62% (31 of 50) of brown bear incidents bears were either acting curious or searching for food or garbage before being sprayed. Of these bears, 13% (4 of 31) were acting aggressively with respect to obtaining food; 87% (27 of 31) were not acting aggressively. In 77% of incidents (24 of 31), one bear was involved, but in the remaining incidents females with cubs made up 10% (3 of 31), large males 7% (2 of 31), and a pair of siblings 7% (2 of 31) of bears involved. In 100% (29 of 29; G1¼32.8, P , 0.001) of these incidents, use of bear spray stopped the undesirable behavior of the bears involved. In 17% of incidents (5 of 29; G1 ¼ 13.5, P¼0.001), the bear returned after being sprayed. In 68% (13 of 19) of black bear incidents, bears were either acting curious or were searching for food or garbage. Of these bears, none acted aggressively toward people while in pursuit of human foods"

Last edited by Phillip Fields; 06-01-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 04:54 PM   #56
wdtorque
Eight Point

Practice with your new pistol and have fun. I don’t shoot a pump shotgun worth a toot so I’ll be the old guy in the tour bus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wdtorque is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2018, 05:00 PM   #57
Tom
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocky Mountains, Africa

you most likely will never need a gun but good to have none the less. I run a glock 40 with some hard cast lead hot bullets that are close to a 41 mag as far as ballistics. What I like about it as I can unload quickly and accurately. The brown bears in Alaska never made me nervous as they are generally well fed!

have fun on your adventure.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #58
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

Quote:
I just want to thank everyone for taking your time to give me your advice and stories to help me decide on what to use to protect my self and my family on what I hope to be an awesome vacation.

After listening to everyone's advice and talking to the AK game officer, I decided to bring the 12 gauge and get a .44mag. Did some research and decided I'd get a 6.5" Smith & Wesson 629 and called my local gun shop first and he had a used one. Turns out it was his buddy's who used it for competition shooting. Custom trigger and hammer, S&W Performance Center trigger job, smooth cylinder, ported up top at the 6" mark, plus 150 rounds of ammo. Beyond awesome gun, and I got it for $800. Couldn't be happier or luckier ( probably should have bought a lottery ticket after that).

Thanks again
They are awesome guns. My dad gave me his 6.5” ported 629 last year and the thing is super easy to shoot accurately, the trigger in single action mode is truly a “hair trigger” that shames all of my 2 lb bolt guns, and with the weight and porting even full power loads aren’t bad.

It is still a pistol cartridge, but a .44 carries over 3x the energy of a 9mm.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 10:34 AM   #59
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX

Bear spray doesn’t work if the wind in swirling and in your face.

My son lives, hunts, hikes and shed hunts in griz country. Statistics go out the windiw when your mechanic had to shoot a sow in self defense and there’s at least 2 mauling victims gone to the liocal hospital in the past few years.

He always carries a Redhawk 454 Casul with Buffalo Bore loads in a chest holster. It’s not a plinking gun, for sure.

Bill in San Jose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2018, 10:27 PM   #60
Stevotary
Eight Point

Hunt In: Somerville wma, Columbus tx, SHNF Huntsville Tx, Vowells Mill LA, Laredo, Tx, Montana, Wyoming, CO

What ever pistol you pick it is best to take off the front sight.

That way it won't hurt as bad when the bear shove that pistol up your ***.
Stevotary is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2018, 11:00 PM   #61
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

In the heat of the moment heavy recoil can be your best friend. It'll yank you back to reality and help you focus.

That being said, at the range it is not your best friend, and you need range time to get comfortable.

I like my 44 a lot, but if I was buying a new gun just for that purpose I'd get a Ruger Alaskan in 454.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 07:19 PM   #62
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX

I was in bear country in Montana in September carrying my XD45 with Buffalo Bore 255 grain +P, and going through woods in the dark I decided when I move there next year I’m getting a Ruger 454 Casul like my son carries.

Bill in San Jose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 08:51 PM   #63
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Have any of y’all run anything like a Bill Drill just so see how fast (or slow) you can put rounds on target with these bear guns?
Old 11-08-2018, 09:34 AM   #64
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
Have any of y’all run anything like a Bill Drill just so see how fast (or slow) you can put rounds on target with these bear guns?
It's only fair if you measure it as ft/lbs of force applied on target.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 11:20 AM   #65
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
It's only fair if you measure it as ft/lbs of force applied on target.
That works too!
Old 11-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #66
tdwinklr
Eight Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the great advise. The reason I am deciding between the .357 and the 10mm is I already own the .357. On the 10mm I've talked to people who currently live on the Kenai who talk to the rangers and conservation officers. They all carry 10mm. They say its for the better control of the gun = more rounds fired off. Also lighter to carry around. I originally thought about getting the .44mag or bigger, I'm not saying that a .44mag or bigger wouldn't do the job just considering the new info I have gotten. I would carry a 12ga but I think it would be difficult to comfortably hike/fish and be able to quickly put the gun on target and get a round off. I could be wrong and over thinking it.
IMO, the .357 is too light for this trip. Would seriously consider a larger caliber revolver, more power and less likely it jamming on you in a bad situation.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 06:01 PM   #67
meat>horns
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill country, New Mexico, Colorado

The Scandium frame 44's smith makes are really cool they are pretty popular up there. One problem with bear spray is the cans are so highly pressurized they end up being fragile and can rupture if your not careful with them. That would ruin your day. The old joke goes if you spray the bear and it doest stop him, spray yourself so the bear gets indigestion.
meat>horns is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #68
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

10mm double stack
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #69
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pleasanton

Quote:

Thanks again
Awwwwe!!! You suck!
Nice pistol!
Brute Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #70
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pleasanton

Learn to shoot that thing like Jerry Miculek!
Brute Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top