Replacing corn with Acorns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing corn with Acorns

Apparently god decided to do that for us this year. Went to the ranch the week of Thanksgiving. Hunting was incredibly slow, especially for the hill country. Had deer come in for water and not even sniff the corn. Same with turkeys except they had to pick up a few kernels. Didnt see a hog one and thay was with 4 hunters moving around on 6000 acres. How does that happen....well it looks like it snowed acorns. We still had fun and I got to hunt with my wife and kids some.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Looks like the kids had fun anyways. Better luck next time.

Comment

Acorns are killing us all this year

Comment

I don't think we have any deer left at all on our place. Gone Notta Zilch

Comment

Looks like you had a great time anyway. Killin stuff is a bonus. Keep at it.

Comment

Nice family Brett

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice looking bunch...Acorns are great to hunt just gota find trees Deer are feeding on..Just because there's acorns on ground don't mean there gona be there...Deer are picky on acorns.Either its taste/variety/quality/cover/quanity and they will hit those trees hard and almost exclusively tell they decide to move to another.
              My best way is scout for lots of FRESH Deer Poop under acorn tree is always a good sign with acorns too

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                ... We still had fun and I got to hunt with my wife and kids some.

Sounds like a successful weekend. God bless you and yours.

Comment

I feel your pain. Our lease in brownwood is 90% oaks. Deer travel is low and unfocused because they have cover and food everywhere.

Comment

Our deer are still keeping the corn cleaned up even though we are covered in acorns. There is literally thousands of acorns in the fed pen alone lol

Comment

Good stuff Brett. Glad y’all are well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hill country was super slow over thanksgiving. We usually have at least 10-12 does at the feeder area. Thanksgiving week, nada. Hopefully it picks up in the next few weeks before Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparzo View Post
                          Good stuff Brett. Glad y’all are well.

Thx Jacob. Are you still hunting up in buffalo? How is that going? I see yall are doing well. You still working a lot?

Comment

If you will fertilize a few of the oaks that are producing you will know exactly where to hunt !

Comment

Well---our custodian at church cleaned off the courtyard today and bagged the leaves and the big red oak acorns. So, I loaded the 7 bags up and drove to my hog place and my deer place and spread the wealth around.

Comment

Working...
                              X