X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Selfbowman View Post
    I just built a 44# selfbow . 174 FPS . 466 gr. Arrow
    Arvin

I’d sure like to see that one shot thru a chronograph!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Myself !!
      My 45# laminated shoots 465s at 147 fps.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Comment

Bisch I have hit in the 180s with 450 gr thru 48#. Come over and we can see what yours does. I have not seen you in a while anyway. Arvin

Comment

I see you are also on the Tradional Archery Facebook page.

I will comment here, what I wouldn't comment in that forum:

I have no idea!

I stopped bothering with chronos when I stopped shooting a compound and didn't have a reason to go into a bow shop. I know I could use the calculator, but it'd be a guess. I assume I am in the 170s somewhere... but could be in the 160s or 180s.

I assert that arrow speed isn't where the rubber meets the road per se. Because at the end of the day, it is a calculated value based on other things. And those other things are calculated values based on arrow speed. Arrow speed is only important based on how you aim, and how you hunt.... with in my opinion, the former being more important than the latter. fast arrows let you have some forgiveness in judging distances because the arrow drop is less between distances than a slow arrow. That is single most important aspect of arrow speed that I have been able to realistically see. I have shot light arrows that were fast... but couldn't knock down a jack rabbit... whereas the bow kept the same (the limbs as you put it) I used a heavier arrow and knocked em down just fine. Where "how you hunt" comes into play really is about what you are hunting and the amount of time a critter has to react to sound, etc. I'd argue that the difference between 170 and 160 is likely negligible. I might be wrong in some cases, but I'd argue it anyways

I've killed everything that should have died with my 160/170 ish fps arrow at 540gr... can't say the same for a much faster 440gr arrow.

Oh and I absolutely stink at 3D... especially the really far off critters.

Comment

Big River recurve 630 grains 174 fps
            MOAB LB 650 grains 178 fps
            Big River LB ??? looks and feels faster than MOAB
            Kota LB have not shot yet!!!

Comment

Great topic I was wondering about arrow speed for a while. I’ve never check mine I shoot a 52 # recurve at 58 “ . I’ve never had my real draw length checked so I’m sure I’m not getting the full 52#s . I plan on getting a bob lee and going to the shop to get fitted properly from their guys.

Comment

Finally chrono'ed Sarrels Blue Ridge 67#@28 longbow recently with 680-grain arrows at 165 FPS.

Similar weight Jeff Weathers recurve shot same arrow the same speed.

Note: my drawlength is closer to 27 inches.

To Swampy's point: speed is mainly helpful in getting a little flatter trajectory as well as quicker arrival to the quarry! Still need the adequate "punch" of momentum from weight to do the job. I've been shooting the same weight arrows through a progression of bow weights from 50# up to the current 67# to get the hunting speed and trajectory I want.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                  I see you are also on the Tradional Archery Facebook page.

I will comment here, what I wouldn't comment in that forum:

I have no idea!

I stopped bothering with chronos when I stopped shooting a compound and didn't have a reason to go into a bow shop. I know I could use the calculator, but it'd be a guess. I assume I am in the 170s somewhere... but could be in the 160s or 180s.

I assert that arrow speed isn't where the rubber meets the road per se. Because at the end of the day, it is a calculated value based on other things. And those other things are calculated values based on arrow speed. Arrow speed is only important based on how you aim, and how you hunt.... with in my opinion, the former being more important than the latter. fast arrows let you have some forgiveness in judging distances because the arrow drop is less between distances than a slow arrow. That is single most important aspect of arrow speed that I have been able to realistically see. I have shot light arrows that were fast... but couldn't knock down a jack rabbit... whereas the bow kept the same (the limbs as you put it) I used a heavier arrow and knocked em down just fine. Where "how you hunt" comes into play really is about what you are hunting and the amount of time a critter has to react to sound, etc. I'd argue that the difference between 170 and 160 is likely negligible. I might be wrong in some cases, but I'd argue it anyways

I've killed everything that should have died with my 160/170 ish fps arrow at 540gr... can't say the same for a much faster 440gr arrow.

Oh and I absolutely stink at 3D... especially the really far off critters.

Arrow speed is just a variable and I’m not saying it’s anything but that...but it’s A variable and that’s why I put my arrow weight on there for context.

I mean, I’ve got some wood arrows that weigh in at around 750gr and they hit like a freight train, but they’re not terribly fast. In my experience, most of us are shooting between 500 and 550 in our hunting rigs, so I was just curious where my speed compared to others. There are plenty in the heavy arrow club, but many times, I think that added weight hits the law of diminishing returns. I mean, a kill is a kill and I don’t know that it’s worth an extra 300gr to make the arrow so slow it’s easy to duck and you have to lob because it can’t shoot flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Arrow speed is a trajectory thing for me. As long as that is manageable at hunting distance I'm good.

Gary

Comment

Obsession evolution approx. 380gr arrow set up, 316 fps

Comment

Never shot traditional. How does it compare to compounds?

Comment

SLOW

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Hayek'sPupil View Post
                            Never shot traditional. How does it compare to compounds?

Generally a touch over half speed, but much heavier arrows and a very different dynamic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am of the heavy arrow club. I guess. 12 gpp is about my norm. I know the trajectory and it hits hard. At shoots my arrow is most times the hardest to pull. I’ve killed a boat load of deer with a fast compound. I don’t think it matters how fast or slow your arrow is. They can jump it at 310 FPS so I don’t think that’s even a factor. I personally can control a slower arrow better. My recurve is anything but slow even at 12 gpp. To me, key word ME, speed matters none. Don’t get me wrong, you speed demons have your reasons and that’s awesome. I don’t wanna sound combative, just how I feel after all my experiences.

Comment

509gr at 242gps

Comment

Working...
                                X