No announcement yet.

Diabetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried the low carb, high fat diet along with metformin. I wanted to get off of metformin and I just followed the "Mastering Diabetes" guideline for the most part. I eat tons of fruit daily, brown rice and beans, sweet potatoes, and vegetables. I'll usually throw in the meat food twice a week. Breakfast is usually a bowl of steel cut oatmeal with chopped bananas and blueberries and ground cinnamon. I don't take metformin any more. On the low carb diet, my morning readings were usually 180's and up before even eating. Now it's usually 80's or 90's. You just have to dive into it and go at it this plan. Your blood sugar will go up at first, but you'll be amazed at the results once it cycles in. More energy for one, and much steadier low glucose readings. Here's the link.. and there's a video on the page along with reading info, recipes, and so on. I eat tons of fruit (carbs) daily.
    https://www.masteringdiabetes.org/re...-presentation/

Comment

There are plenty of us on here to lean on. I was diagnosed probably a little over 10 years ago. The hardest thing for me was giving up Dr. Pepper's. For a while it will take you a while to learn how to grocery shop because you have to read every label. I am certainly not the poster child for eating correctly, but moderation is your friend. If you completely cut out the things that are bad for your diabetes you come to want them more. I was originally put on Glimepiride (sp), Metformin (1000 mg twice a day), and Januvia (100 mg once a day). A few years later my internist put me on Lantus Solostar injections (worked my way up to 80 units per day) and took me off the Glimepiride. About two years ago my internist put me on Invokana to try to help lower my A1c, which it has but it does make you have to pee more. A few months ago, my internist and me talked about my meds and she asked me if I was open to trying something else. She got excited when I said I was open to anything and she put me on Ozympic- I am sure you have seen the commercials on tv. She explained that almost all her patients she has put on it have responded well and most have lost weight. It is also more organ friendly. I have been on it for about two months and it has helped stabilize my fasting blood sugar to around 110 every morning and I have actually lost about 14 pounds so far. I have also quit taking the Januvia (doctor suggested this once my blood sugar stabilized) and have also reduce my Lantus to 50 units per day. My next A1c test will be interesting. It took me a while to find a soda that I could stand- Diet Coke and Diet Mt. Dew have become my go to sodas. I drink lots of tea and we switched to Splenda as a sweetener at home, mainly because it is basically a 1:1 replacement for regular sugar when cooking. Good luck to you and PM if you have any questions.

Comment

Since October 1st, I have learned more about T1D than I ever wanted to.....

My 12 year old son was diagnosed with T1D and we got to spend 4 days in Texas Children's. That place is a special place with very good health care professionals. We received a 1st class education on DIabetes while there and even had to take a test.

Comment

Metformin is not meant for long term use !!!! Cut out starches as well.

Comment

Ketogenic diet. You need to increase you insulin sensitivity and what better way to do that than to drive your insulin levels to the floor. None of the internet bro ketogenic diet either. Check out content from Dr. Jason Fung.

Comment

Do as I say and not what I do! JK. It will really affect you in your later years if you don't get it under control. No sugar, pasta, and control your carbs.

Comment

I was type 2 for several years, I would do my best to cut carbs and sugars and start losing weight asap. Go with vegetables and fruits for your sweet cravings. The meds will make you thirsty most of the day and you will have to take a leak several times a day. This really sucks when on long trips. You will most likely start having neuropathy in your feet and start affecting your vision. I did the whole meds etc trying to control my type 2. You will eventually start feeling pain in your feet, this is neuropathy starting. You will also experience numbness at times in your feet. You will have to be careful and watch for infections, you will need to inspect your feet for problems pretty much on a daily basis when neuropathy starts. All it takes is one bad infection and you could lose that limb. My insurance kept changing my meds and made it difficult to keep my sugars A1C in check. I eventually had a gastric bypass done. I lost over 150lbs, I am no longer a diabetic, no more high blood pressure. My nerve damage in my feet will never go away, but it will not progress anymore as long as I keep my weight and diet in check. There are days my feet feel like they were "asleep",..like 100's of needles in your feet. Then days where I have no pain, just a numbness feeling. Some days I could walk barefoot on pavement in July and never feel it. I approached type 2 as joke, I thought the Dr's were full of it. I would really take it serious and lose weight as fast as possible. Check with your Dr to find out who puts seminars on how to read labels on food so you can try to keep everything in check. Type 2 is not a fun ride by any means, its serious stuff. I really wished I had taken it more serious in the beginning stages of being diagnosed.
                Last edited by brushtrooper; 12-06-2019, 09:33 PM.

Comment

I had watched my wife and a couple of friends dealing with metformin, so when the doc tried to prescribe it to me I said no. We talked about why and he put me on glyburide. After a year, I had gotten my weight down and was exercising, and diabetes wasn't an issue anymore, neither was cholesterol, in fact my sugar levels were getting too low, and I had to keep up with it to keep from crashing, low sugar is bad news. Finally got off any sugar meds completely. with the cancer, and being a lot more sedentary, sugar is a problem again. I now take a weekly injection of Bidureon, and it keeps my sugar levels in check, and I almost eat what I want. With one of the immunotherapy drugs I take, they don't want sugar to get out of whack, but I cant remember whether it is the cabometyx, or the Opdivo.
                  The biggest help early on was diet change and exercise. I started riding trails on a mountain bike.

To add, my sugar originally was in the 170 to 200 range. It now stays mostly between 80 and 140, and I am happy with that.
                  You can get a handle on it, do it while you are young, its way harder to do when you get older.

Comment

I did the metformin for a couple years it was the worst thing ever.

I've been to about every endocrinoglist in DFW for them to run test and give there opium and they are all amazed that not only does my body not make insulin it don't except it very good. I took 7 shots a day for years and years until I got on a insulin pump.

Comment

If one can do it, can fasting bring down the numbers relatively quickly?

Comment

Originally posted by awry View Post
                        If one can do it, can fasting bring down the numbers relatively quickly?
                        Low numbers are worse than high numbers. Extremely low will kill you. My wife has been a diabetic for 25 years are so. She eats about 6 times a day and checks blood sugar every few hours.

Comment

Was meaning bringing the numbers in normal range

Comment

I keep the glucose tablets with me all the time. My Diabetes is not real bad but when my numbers get under 80 I don't feel right and eat a little. I would hate for that to happen in the woods and not have anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                              I keep the glucose tablets with me all the time. My Diabetes is not real bad but when my numbers get under 80 I don't feel right and eat a little. I would hate for that to happen in the woods and not have anything.

Mine hit 35 a few nights ago, lowest I’ve ever had in 36 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Check into the keto diet to control typeII, and before anyone loses their mind (including your dr) there's a difference between keto-acidosis and ketosis! Your a grown up, fully capable of making up your own mind, just wanted to put it out there for you check out before you crawl into that dead end maze of chemically controlling your disease.

Comment

Working...
                                X