Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7mm-08 all day

Comment

Another vote for the 7mm-08. I got my wife one and plan on loading some 160g Sierra Gamekings for it to see how it shoots. But any 140-160 quality bullet will be sufficient at your ranges. If I cannot get it to shoot well then I can see some form of a 140g bonded bullet, i.e. Accubond, Fusion, etc, or a solid copper Barnes.

Comment

.22 long rifle. Ease up close & pop it right in the ear hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

How are you going to be hunting? 270 WSM or 7mm WSM. Can't have all three...elk cartridge,light mountain rifle,and low recoil

Comment

7mm-08. I’ve also killed them with 270.

Comment

I love my 300 WSM on Elk. Actually have two of them. One with brake and one without.
              Without a brake is like shooting a 30/06. With a brake is like shooting a 243.

With a 30 caliber 180 grain Accubond you have lots of margin for error versus a smaller cartridge.

Comment

My wife kills them with a .308

Comment

308 with 165 grain nosler accubonds. My 12 year hunts with that set up here in Colorado. Inside of 350, all the medicine you will ever need.

Comment

Whatever you buy, cut it down to fit and add a better pad.
                    Then practice with light loads.
                    My small wife shoots a .270 well that fits her.

Comment

My other half is a small gal also. We are also huge elk hunters. Shes shot up to 338's but anymore shoots a 300wm. Currently a APR 300wm flinging 215 bergers. Obviously muzzle broke. For me the key is she almost never shoots the "big" ones unless at an animal. They dont know the difference this way. The adrenaline excitement etc. Masks all of the recoil and noise. We shoot a ton but with trainers and smaller calibers. The biggest she shoots for practice is now a 6.5prc since its a mini twin to the 300wm. If they weren't painted differently she wouldn't know the difference. Lol

If your only interested in something smaller maybe 7-08, 6.5 prc, 308, 280al etc.

I just am not a fan of lightish bullets and elk. They are beyond tuff and if the shot isn't perfect you will potentially have issues with the lighter ones. Big ones buy alot of forgiveness.
                      Last edited by OSU Fisher; 12-06-2019, 08:24 PM.

Comment

338 federal.

Comment

7mm08 is a good choice, 270 has too much recoil, enough that I don't like that caliber

Comment

Somebody's wife probably shoots a 375 H&H, so Ima say that's probably a good one

Comment

the 7mm-08 in a light weight mountain rifle is about as ideal a gun as you can find for a women, or a man,,,, enough bullet, enough velocity, enough range to do it all and not be under gunned in any area,,,

243, can work but a poor choice for elk, period!

270 can work, but requires a long action, try to reduce the weight to make up for that and you get noticeable recoil

30-06 great for elk, again long action and increased recoil along with added weight

6.5 creedmore bullet weight is not it strong suit ,, but certainly can work

any of the magnums for a woman?, some can handle it but not a real good choice

308 would be my second choice for a woman, (but they do tend to recoil harder than a 7mm08),,, but it does have the rest of the same good qualities as the 7mm08...

Comment

Another note for the .280ai here. Pick/build a rifle with a good stock and brake and with the correct bullet you’ll be set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X