• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not just add your son to yours?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      Why not just add your son to yours?

He is on mine and can legally be in possession of my can but that doesn’t allow him to own is own does it?

Comment

Yes. It’s owned by the trust not the individual. He can pay for it and put it in the trust.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          He is on mine and can legally be in possession of my can but that doesn’t allow him to own is own does it?
          He can buy whatever he wants and put it on the same trust. Anyone on the trust can possess it anytime they want.

Comment

Bass law firm did mine. he's turns it around fast
            christopherbass01@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
              Yes. It’s owned by the trust not the individual. He can pay for it and put it in the trust.
              Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
              He can buy whatever he wants and put it on the same trust. Anyone on the trust can possess it anytime they want.
              What these guys said!

Comment

Jim Willi did mine. He's a super pro.

True about your son and being able to put it in a trust.

The ability to add and remove trustees at will makes navigating the fingerprint process very easy. Remove everyone-- acquire NFA item-- add them back. If they are not responsible persons at the time of the transfer printing doesn't apply to them. It's the little things that make the pros worth it. Hopefully even canned trusts from shops are covering the big things.

Comment

I used Cole as well. He is a great dude, very helpful. If you are local to ft. Worth he is one of the best in town.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                    Jim Willi did mine. He's a super pro.

True about your son and being able to put it in a trust.

The ability to add and remove trustees at will makes navigating the fingerprint process very easy. Remove everyone-- acquire NFA item-- add them back. If they are not responsible persons at the time of the transfer printing doesn't apply to them. It's the little things that make the pros worth it. Hopefully even canned trusts from shops are covering the big things.

I had mine revised to where I am the only RP. Everyone else is either a limited trustee or beneficiary.

The only reason more more than 1 RP is so they can add or remove items. Otherwise if that will never happen (my wife) then setting them up like that is perfectly fine. They can still legally have access to the items, they just can’t add to or remove from the trust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Gun trust ?

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      I had mine revised to where I am the only RP. Everyone else is either a limited trustee or beneficiary.

The only reason more more than 1 RP is so they can add or remove items. Otherwise if that will never happen (my wife) then setting them up like that is perfectly fine. They can still legally have access to the items, they just can’t add to or remove from the trust.

Your trust may well be set up differently than mine, and I’m sure you had good counsel and there is some reason for that in your circumstances. In my case I can add/remove trustees at will and they can have, or not— my discretion, the power to add and/or remove items from the trust.
                      One thing you say above sounds not quite right— anyone who can legally possess items in the trust is a responsible person under the law. So there is no case where, at the same time, there is only one responsible person but more than one person who can possess, as you seem to suggest.
                      Last edited by meltingfeather; 03-02-2020, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                        Your trust may well be set up differently than mine, and I’m sure you had good counsel and there is some reason for that in your circumstances. In my case I can add/remove trustees at will and they can have, or not— my discretion, the power to add and/or remove items from the trust.
                        One thing you say above sounds not quite right— anyone who can legally possess items in the trust is a responsible person under the law. So there is no case where, at the same time, there is only one responsible person but more than one person who can possess, as you seem to suggest.

I also can add/remove as I want.

As to the role/definition of a RP, I was told by my counsel that a RP was someone who could change disposition of items within the trust. I was told limited trustees could posses but since they were not considered an RP fingerprints/photos were not required.

Comment

For anyone that has used either Cole or James....once all of the initial paperwork is submitted how long does it usually take for a trust to get set up?

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
                            For anyone that has used either Cole or James....once all of the initial paperwork is submitted how long does it usually take for a trust to get set up?
                            Once you properly execute it it is done.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              As to the role/definition of a RP, I was told by my counsel that a RP was someone who could change disposition of items within the trust.
                              Jim Willi on the topic:
                              "In the gun trust context, the ATF has attempted to define a “responsible person” as an individual with one or more of the following powers: (1) the power to direct the management and policies of the gun trust, which normally includes the power to alter, amend, modify, revoke, or terminate the gun trust and the power to add or remove co-trustees; and (2) the power to receive, possess, ship, transport, deliver, transfer, or otherwise dispose of a firearm for, or on behalf of, the gun trust.
                              link

The Silencer Shop:
                              "In the simplest terms, a responsible person is someone who is listed on your trust and has the authority to be in possession of the NFA item(s) that are registered to that trust."
                              link

I suppose it may be a conservative interpretation, but I ain't going to be the case law where they hash this out!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                                i believe he can buy under that trust you just have to be present when purchasing and maybe picking up I believe.

Comment

Working...
                                X