Wife surprised me with a lab pup. Looking for recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife surprised me with a lab pup. Looking for recommendations

So my wife has heard me talking about getting a lab for a while now. My dad bought property a while back with a ~40 acre "lake" on it. Been duck hunting on it and just retrieving birds with a kayak or waders.

So with a bunch of her criteria being met, my wife decided to surprise me with an 8 week old female black lab. I really wanted a lab for my son to grow up with and eventually start hunting with my dad and me when he's old enough. He's the first grand child so my dad is really excited.

I've got two working line German Shepherd, so I'm no stranger to the time it takes to train a dog, but I haven't worked with bird dogs before. The breeder recommended Best Retrievers Inc., who is 1.5hrs away from me, luckily. Found a few positive posts about them on the GS and nothing negative so far. So right now, I'm planning on taking her to them at 12 weeks for some "imprinting." That is unless someone really wants to suggest otherwise.

I've read just about every thread on the GS about retriever training the last few days. The most common recommendations are:

Water Dog
    Gun Dog
    Smart Works
    Ten Minute Retriever
    Bill Hillman's DVD/YouTube
    E collar (already own)
    buy different color bumpers
    train daily, 10-15 min, 1 or 2 times a day

Any other inputs? Any experiences with Best Retriever's Inc.?
    Attached Files

She’s a cutie

Comment

Cute pup for sure

Comment

Keep it fun in the puppy stage...there will times she just wants to play & not interested in learning.

I've always broke my dogs at the skeet range...start a couple hundred yards out & just play while you 'slowly' start working your way towards the shooting while watching reactions.

If you are going to use an e-collar, do not even turn it on in the beginning...put it on before going out / training / play time, etc. They will eventually associate the e-collar with a good vibe.

Comment

Best Retrievers is an awesome facility with outstanding trainers, I went there a few weeks back and everyone was easy to talk to and they will help you out any way they can. I do believe they take pups at 6 months old due to not having anymore puppy teeth. Every dog I seen them run did great and if I wasn't training my myself that's where I would take my dog.

Comment

Most dont start training until 6 months. The training can be costly but definitely worth it if you want a good dog. Not saying you cant do it yourself, you just cant take days off. If you have never done force fetch then I would get a pro to at least do that part if you are planning on doing the other training yourself.

My pup(just turned a year) is in Mississippi at Maple Ridge Retrievers

Comment

Rody Best at Best Retrievers is among the best out there. He truly loves the dogs.

Cute pup! Lab pups are always among the cutest.

Comment

Always make it fun. A lot of water dog skill is already there. Just needs to be honed.

Comment

Ridiculously cute pup. Any ideas on a name? Good luck to you on the training.

Comment

Cute pup. Looking forward to the progress in the training.

Comment

Check out Robert Milners Duck Hill kennels. He has written several articles and books on Retriver training. He uses the English way of training. Totally different from the American way. Have 2 English breed labs trained the britt way

Comment

Good looking pup. He has some good size feet.

Comment

Cute pup!

Comment

My lab was trained at Best and it was a very good experience. They are patient, and did an awesome job. She came home an amazing hunter and a well behaved family member. The facility is first class, and they do a good job keeping you updated on progress during the training. I'll send all our dogs there from now on, maybe one of the kids if they would take them!

Comment

Best retrievers is ok. His trainers are good, he has alot of dogs. There are a few other places to take her to that will yield the same results if not better in the same driving distance.
                              If you can teach her to sit, stay and heel before you take her, it'll save you some money.
                              If you really want to get a good idea on trainers. Go to the next hunt test your willing to drive to. Go to the finished or master hunter testing. Lots of trainers running clients dogs.
                              It's a very fun atmosphere with lots of knowledge running around. Heck if you find something let me know, I'll roll with ya. I'm looking at getting a dog soon. My female died in November. She got her HRCH at 11months, was a wonderful dog. I need to get another around the house soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X