Hit a snag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hit a snag

Looking to see if some of the more knowledgeable trailer folks can help me out with a dilemma. I inherited a 16 ft trailer from my wives grand father. He last had it registered in 1986. I re did the whole thing. I went today to have it inspected by the regional tdmv vehicle crimes task force to get a form 68A. I thought it would be easy to get that form because I was told by my county office they could just register it as a homemade trailer and I’d be good to go. WRONG! It was obviously a manufactured trailer so now I need to figure out the year and make of the trailer before they will give me that form. If not it sounds like a pain in e arse to get it registered as I will have to appear in district court and hire an attorney to get it all sorted out. Here are the issues I can’t find any paper work on it and when they run the vin or the plates it comes back with nothing. It’s been 35 years since it’s been registered. I’m planning on using it on my farm and will be getting farm plates for it if I ever can. Here is a look at the before and after a in the picture. Any advice? Or does anyone know what brand of trailer it could have been. I’m pretty sure it’s an 1984 judging by the stickers that are on the plate.
    Attached Files

Here is the before picture.
    Attached Files

Comment

You need to tell the county office you were mistaken that it is home made. I think they were trying to help you get it registered.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Next time, don't use those helium filled boards/tires....makes the trailer float upside down.

Comment

Yes sir that’s what I was trying to do. But when I took it to have it inspected for that form 68A the officers wouldn’t register it like that because they said no it’s a manufactured trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
            Next time, don't use those helium filled boards/tires....makes the trailer float upside down.
            Lmao 😂

Comment

OMG< i went through this and it was a Pain in the Arse! They had to do a title search, then I had to go get it weighed, then I had to order some dies to put a trailer code on frame in a certain place, then I needed to register it. PIA

Comment

Yes! I’m living it right now! Already got all of the weights and what not done.

Comment

Just thinking out loud but If it has a VIN and they run it and come up with nothing then make up a manufacture date and name and go with it. How they gonna its not real?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Just register as homemade and call it done.

Comment

Should have registered as a homemade. In and out in 10 minutes. Go register at a different office now. Unless they have multiple clerks, go to a different one.

Comment

Could you randomly assign a year model and manufacturer? 1984 Big Tex for instance?

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                          Just thinking out loud but If it has a VIN and they run it and come up with nothing then make up a manufacture date and name and go with it. How they gonna its not real?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
                          That actually has crossed my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
                            Should have registered as a homemade. In and out in 10 minutes. Go register at a different office now. Unless they have multiple clerks, go to a different one.
                            I believe you have to register it in the county you live in. At least Montgomery County that's the rule. And their is only one place in Montgomery county to get it inspected. I'm not sure what county the OP is in.

Comment

Originally posted by kurt68 View Post
                              I believe you have to register it in the county you live in. At least Montgomery County that's the rule. And their is only one place in Montgomery county to get it inspected. I'm not sure what county the OP is in.
                              Yes sir that’s correct. I live in Wilson county but have to have it inspected in San Antonio. I guess I could go to corpus or Austin.

Comment

Working...
                              X