Weed eater repair help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weed eater repair help

My weed eater ran fine the other day. It's a troybilt 4 stroke. I haven't had any trouble out of it, other than cleaning the carb. It wouldn't crank the other day.
    I already had a new carb for it, so I put new lines, carb and filter on it and a new plug. Won't crank.

I checked to see if it's getting spark, it was. I checked the switch. It was good.

Any ideas?

How old is the gas?

Comment

Fresh.

Comment

Following. Been having a problem with my Poulan Pro. New fuel lines, new carb, new plug and new fuel. Finally got it running with the choke on, but it won't idle. Adjusting the idle screw didn't help.

Comment

Low oil?

Comment

Originally posted by RS3 View Post
            Following. Been having a problem with my Poulan Pro. New fuel lines, new carb, new plug and new fuel. Finally got it running with the choke on, but it won't idle. Adjusting the idle screw didn't help.
            I never had a weedeater that after 6 months old, that I could run with choke off

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
              I never had a weedeater that after 6 months old, that I could run with choke off
              Had it about 4 years....

Comment

check the fuel line coming from the tank. Maybe dry rotted

I see u have changed them now

Comment

my small engine repair guy told me about some stuff called mechanic in a bottle he said pour it in your tank pum p the bulb so it gets in the carb and try and start it, much to my surprise it tried to mstart like he had told me it would but he said to let it soak for about 20-30 minutes .after that topped it off with new gas and it ran like brand new. this was on my buddy's echo chainsaw that he let sit from last year with old gas worked like a charm hope it helps. by the way ebay is cheapest place to buy small engine carbs

Comment

Are you positive you have the lines in the correct spots?
                    Is there a vent line?
                    Is there a screen on the muffler? If there is take it off and. Either leave it off ot clean very good. Does it have a primer bulb, is it cracked
                    Any little crack in a line or bulb will cause it hard to start and run

Comment

How much is your time worth? $100/hour? Spend $200 on an Echo trimmer with a 5 year home owner warranty from a commercial equipment store (not HD or Lowes, or internet). Only run Echo ($8/qt) or bulk VP pre-mix at about $4/ quart. It will start and run every time until it doesn't. When the warranty runs out, run the trimmer till it dies and replace it.

This allows you to run a five minute tidy-up trim session every now an then without the drama of the full rinse and full drain at the end to fight the ethanol.

Comment

Check the oil level. My parents found that model weed eater at the house they bought a few months ago. We replaced the missing fuel line, put fresh gas and tried to crank it with no luck. We then added a little fresh oil and it started after a few cranks I let it run awhile and now it starts on the second pull.

Comment

I added some oil, simply because i thought maybe it could be an oil level issue. I've had no problems with it other than cleaning the carb once. I might put the old carb back on there this week. I ordered a ignition tester for $7. I don't mind working on it some. I wouldn't own an echo. We have some at work, and I hate them.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                            Are you positive you have the lines in the correct spots?
                            Is there a vent line?
                            Is there a screen on the muffler? If there is take it off and. Either leave it off ot clean very good. Does it have a primer bulb, is it cracked
                            Any little crack in a line or bulb will cause it hard to start and run
                            this ^^^^^^. If it is losing pressure anywhere, it will not run right.

Comment

Originally posted by krisw View Post
                              I added some oil, simply because i thought maybe it could be an oil level issue. I've had no problems with it other than cleaning the carb once. I might put the old carb back on there this week. I ordered a ignition tester for $7. I don't mind working on it some. I wouldn't own an echo. We have some at work, and I hate them.
                              OIL ???????? Am I missing something here . Just where do you put oil in a weedeater unless you are mixing it with your gas . I've owned a number of weedeaters and never had one that took oil . Just thinking.

Comment

Working...
                              X