No announcement yet.

Big Life Decision (Lost on what to do)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can always make more money, you can never make more time. I could easily do something making double or even triple the money if I was okay traveling and being away from the family, but I am not.

Comment

“Do what you love” could also be seen as selfish in the long run.
      Last edited by Johnny44; 05-18-2021, 07:49 AM.

Comment

I got a buddy, who was a pilot in the Air Force for years, flew about everything, was a fighter pilot, cargo plane pilot, then a trainer pilot for many years. So when he started talking about retirement I just assumed he would go the route of being an airline pilot, but he said nope, not doing that. He has created about three businesses, since he retired, all have failed. Being a pilot for all those years, did not seem to help him with owning and managing a small business. I don't know what he is doing now.

I know he went to college or school right after he got out of the Air Force. He went to school to be a stock broker, that did not last long, I had completely forgot about that deal. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I don't know where things went wrong. Just know he only did that for a year or two, then went another direction. Then sometime after he failed as a stock broker, he got divorced. I still think he should have just gone and flown for one of the big air lines or found a job as a private pilot.

I know of another guy, who went on to be a personal pilot for a very wealthy person, who owns a large company. So he flies his boss all over the country, whenever he needs to go somewhere on business or personal reasons. He has a nice job.

I got another buddy, who is in process to retire from the Air Force, at the end of this summer. I am not sure what he is going to do. He has been trying to move up in rank before retirement, but has not been able to do so. He deals with medical paper work, basically. If you ever need any medical work done, and are military or ex military, he is the guy to talk to, he knows his business. I am not sure what exactly his plans are for life after the Air Force, I know we will be talking a lot once, he is done. He wanted to stay in Texas and retire here, but the Air Force did not give him that option. Every option they gave him for his last assignment was some she-ite hole. He has talked about moving back to Texas, once he is done. I don't think his wife wants to, they are near her parents right now.

One of my brother in laws, retired from the Air Force, about 12 years ago. He had been in Iraq, on the ground, guarding convoys. Then wound up security for Bush, for his last assignment, he got out, the same time Bush's second term was over. He got out, of the Air Force, got his master's degree using the GI bill. Then went on to work in the cyber security world. He seems to be making good money.

Getting a master's degree, is usually a very good idea. With 30 years in the military, then a master's degree, you should be able to get a pretty good job.
        Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 05-18-2021, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmill View Post
          Wish i could sit around a drink a cold one with some of y’all to talk about this but that’s not reality right now. (Probably more of a vent than looking for solid advice from the green screen)

So here I sit into my 21st year of service in the Air Force, a position I was planning to retire from prior to COVID. Now I have been given an unexpected opportunity to attend a Masters degree program which comes with basically a 5 year commitment. This would most likely enable me to get at least two more promotions if I stick it out for another 10 years.

Prior to COVID I was planning to retire and get an airline job, was about 3 months from being done with the military.

So now I’m super torn. On one hand, I know the school opportunity comes with basically with a service commitment to 2025/6, 1-2 years of sitting in an office vice flying and 3 moves within 3-4 years. It also would give me a Masters in Operations Mgmt. Also, it would provide me a pathway to make Lt Col and most likely become a commander. I love mentoring and taking care of people and was always my goal before i left the service. It also provides a ton of long term financial stability for my family and a higher retirement pay.

On the other hand the airlines are all hiring and to get in on the leading edge of the next hiring wave would be great. The seniority could provide more in the long run than the added money in the retirement difference. Then again that assumption comes with never losing my ability to fly aircraft for a living and never seeing furloughs like we saw last year.

So now I sit here, being offered a career I dreamed of having, but had given up on, and the alternative of just dropping said opportunity and waiting on a call from the airlines. I can stay in for quite a few years if I don’t go to the school but the school gives me the biggest return on investment for the military promotion and highest probability of becoming a commander.

I know it’s a great problem to have in a way but it’s still a tough decision to make. It was so much easier when the choice seemingly was made for me, when I thought my chances of being a commander were done.

Any military/airline guys out there? Thoughts?

Do what you love and make less or do something you would be ok doing (not necessarily excited) and make quite a bit more (to the tune of 40-60k per year, yes airline pilots make good money)?

I’m struggling with this decision more than any decision I have ever made in my life. My family will support me regardless and are up for the challenge. My wife is retiring from the military this summer regardless so we don’t have to worry about her ability to work. She’s just going to enjoy mom life.

We have prayed together, alone and generally I feel peace with either route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Praying about it as a family and individually as you are already doing is a must and glad to see you have taken that approach. If you feel at peace with either choice, then I would ask myself some other questions. I'm not sure how old your children are but I can tell you that they grow up fast. Either path is sure to provide for your family financially so I would base the decision purely on which would allow me to spend the most quality time with them and allow me to just be Dad. Your wife is going to enjoy just being a Mom. Though either path will still require you to work, one may allow you more quality family time which you can never get back once it's gone. The numbers on a pay check and rank are all temporal but one day in the future you don't ever want to regret doing everything you could to pour into your kids lives as much as humanly possible. We only have a short time to do so.

Comment

"I love mentoring and taking care of people and was always my goal before i left the service."

This is what you find the most satisfaction with, guaranteed. The airlines will always be hiring!

Thank you immensely for your service and teaching the future leaders of America.
            Last edited by JayB; 05-18-2021, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Get out, make some Private Sector money to stash away before retirement, gain another pension, enjoy more time off with family, no more brain washing on Tranny's in Military, Extremism, White Supremacy in Military, etc.

Comment

My father-in-law had 30 years in the Army and has a very GOOD retirement. Wouldn't be a bad thing for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by wsteffen View Post
                  My father-in-law had 30 years in the Army and has a very GOOD retirement. Wouldn't be a bad thing for sure.
                  The Military uses our best years. Getting out and finding a job at 50 plus ain’t always easy.

If its economic, one punches at twenty.

Personally I think only a “lifer” (afraid of change) would start this thread. If your humanitarian aspects (mentoring) were a real concern those can be applied anywhere.

Furthermore, if the government bean counters didn’t think it to their long term advantage to squeeze up to ten more years out of you by dangling a carrot…They would never give you the option.

I may have missed it but are they giving you and substantial bonuses or insensitive pays?

Its a scary proposition leaving the military.
                  Last edited by Johnny44; 05-18-2021, 09:07 AM.

Comment

I wish I would have stuck it out after 4-years in the air force. But I was in security forces, not quite what that dang recruiter told me in 1978.

Daughter just started her 19th year in air force and loving it. She will turn 39 this year and wants to put in 25. She has worked hard and currently has 2 master degrees, and I told her she needs to work on her PhD.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

The concept of “retirement” ain’t an easy one for most folk. Everyone has different objectives.

Myself, I value my freedom above all else even if I have to drink Miller Lite and live in a cardboard box.

There is no right decision

Comment

Originally posted by mfarmer View Post
                        Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life.
                        And if it doesn’t pay a lot of money you’ll be broke all your life. That sounds cute but go for the money. Money can’t buy you happiness but it can **** sure rent it.

Comment

My Dad jokes about the feel good “do what you love…” thing. When did we become that?

Comment

Originally posted by randtx View Post
                            Airlines are starting to hiring and make a come back. But who is to say the next "pandemic" that shuts the world down isn't just a year or 2 away? Then you are out looking for a job again. I would stick with the military for a guaranteed career, plus it is something you love.
                            ^^^This if it were me

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by randtx View Post
                              Airlines are starting to hiring and make a come back. But who is to say the next "pandemic" that shuts the world down isn't just a year or 2 away? Then you are out looking for a job again. I would stick with the military for a guaranteed career, plus it is something you love.
                              ^^^This if it were me.
                              Too much uncertainty in the private sector these days.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ll say this…If your life is going according to plan, then something is bad wrong. And, God has a sense of humor.

Life itself is “uncertainty”

“Get busy living, or get busy dying”

Comment

Working...
                                X