Kill Coyotes or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strike 2 for pigs in trap

Well, no piggies in the trap for 2 days, holding out hope with this rain today. Might of made too much noise playing with our pistols this weekend. Trap still set so we'll see tomorrow or Tuesday. Big ones are on camera so they're getting used to it again and its been a couple months since we shot some in it.

The fawn theory definitely got me thinking on shooting them if I see them now and next few months. This county has doe weekends still and the numbers aren't there to manage, besides don't shoot the does. Now my lease in Fredericksburg is a different story. Went through thousands of pics from 3 cameras and only got 1 more with 2 coyotes. We don't hear them much in the evenings either, maybe once or twice, so I think the local ranchers are keeping them in check.

Also got a pic of a Turkey, 2nd time this year and my BIL said he never seen them on the place in ~20 something years.

Comment

I say kill them only if you have a problem with them killing livestock or if their population is out of control. Love ‘em or hate ‘em, coyotes are carrion feeders that perform a vital function in terms of cleaning up and controlling diseases associated with necrotic detritus.

Comment

Turkeypic

I would've shot him if I seen him
        Attached Files

Comment

I kill everyone of them that give me a shot. They kill anything available.

Comment

All you need to know.
            Attached Files

Comment

I saved this off here a few years ago. It's disgusting.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by alien_scones View Post
                All you need to know.
                Originally posted by Draco View Post
                I saved this off here a few years ago. It's disgusting.
                Coyote to kill and eat deer bad. Human to kill and eat deer good.

Comment

Seems to be a hell of a lot of city folks in this thread.....

I have not killed a coyote since the last time I saw one......

-john

Comment

Helihunt on the ranch this weekend killed 26 yotes and 6 hogs.

Comment

Post 36 is the reason why they need to die

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        Post 36 is the reason why they need to die

I'll kill any and all when given the chance.

Comment

If I see them I put a shot on them.

If its bow season, I take my AR in case I see one out of bow range.

J

Comment

there is a ton of "professional" information out there regarding repopulation efforts by coyotes. I think everyone knows and understand you can't eradicate them. They will replace available coyote habitat. I understand that killing off a huge number of them creates available space, so new litters might have a better chance of survival with more rabbits/fawns/rats per coyote.

I will say that killing them off around the time that fawns drop is going to increase the fawn crop. If I have too many fawns going into the next year, that's fine. Bullets are still relatively cheap. and we also have a ton of buzzards and cara caras to clean up the mess.

Ikeman, your post is very good. I agree with all of that about habitat. But this year with the drought conditions we have, I think our cover for fawns is going to be next to nothing. We have also been working on the strung out fawn crop due to ratio imbalance. That's definitely a real problem. 2 years ago in november we still had some fawns with spots on them. not good.

Comment

Doesn't matter. Kill them if you want to feel better about it, or just like the challenge or sport, but if you think you are making a difference, it is just the placebo effect.

Want a better herd? Kill more Does......
                              Yall farming your Does and only killing Bucks every year wonder why you have no bucks. Get that 1:1 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                                Seems to be a hell of a lot of city folks in this thread.....

I have not killed a coyote since the last time I saw one......

-john

Even us country boys can educate ourselves a little about how an ecosystem works. Just like deer... if there is an overpopulation, bring them in check. Take a few here and there for a little recreation. But, it is always better to look at the ecosystem practically, and as a whole, instead of basing management decisions on antiquated thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X