Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why you always pull hard before driving off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why you always pull hard before driving off.

Not me!!

This is the reason why when you hook up, you make double sure your hooked up. Luckily the trailer was empty and
    only some scratches and maybe a new mud flap needed. Don’t know if they will drug test him or not. He made it about 50-60 yards before the trailer tried to past him on the turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve seen it happen many a time! I started off with very old 60’s models trucks in the 80’s and I took the time to remove the fifth wheel , clean them up, re-groove the grease Cross grooves on the pivot shaft and replace the actual latch if needed!

Be safe out there!

Comment

Never done that but I did pull out from under one once without dropping the landing gear. Just plumb forgot. No damage but cranking that loaded trailer back up was a chore.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
        Never done that but I did pull out from under one once without dropping the landing gear. Just plumb forgot. No damage but cranking that loaded trailer back up was a chore.
        Ever leave your glad hands connected and rip your air lines off ?

Comment

Saw a guy loose a flat bed full of brand new sucker rod. Lost the trailer and then the load spilled across the intersection. It happens but not if you always check if you're locked!

Comment

I’ve seen many a King pin with the complete weld broken- that pin will stay in the trailer for a little while due to downwards pressure but eventually it will rip out so take the extra time to check those every time you hook up !

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
              Ever leave your glad hands connected and rip your air lines off ?
              No sir but I seen it done.

Comment

A couple weeks ago, I saw a ag truck/dump truck, I think and end dump. He seemed to have not gotten the pin all the way in the right landing gear. It was dragging for miles. I kept waiting for him to hit a transition to concrete or some other step up, I turned off after following for about three miles. Seen a few end dumps, that the trailer was up, as the truck was going down the road. Did not want to be around when that hit something or it rolled on a corner. I don't know how you could not notice that, while driving.

I have seen one truck drive out from under his trailer, don't know if he forgot to put the landing gear down or was not fully hooked up. Just thought, that has to be a pain, to get back up high enough to get the truck under it. I grew up around the oil field trucking and oil field. The company my step father worked for had many pole trucks and winch trucks. They typically sucked the bed up on the back of the truck with a winch. For years, I thought it was dumb that not all trucks had winches, to pull the trailer up on the back of the truck. Still think those big 40 ton Mack and Autocar pole trucks are cool stuff, those things are beasts.

Comment

Second time he has done this in 2 months. First time was in a rental truck that I was driving. It would not automatically lock when you backed under. He pulled out from a loaded trailer at another shop. They drug tested on that one. Still waiting to see if they will on this one.

Comment

It’s happened to me once. I always check the jaws and they looked locked in. When I pulled out they let go and trailer came in hooked. I noticed it happening a little to late but did catch it on the frame of truck and was able to lift it back up. From that moment on I pull hard and check them jaws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
                      Second time he has done this in 2 months. First time was in a rental truck that I was driving. It would not automatically lock when you backed under. He pulled out from a loaded trailer at another shop. They drug tested on that one. Still waiting to see if they will on this one.
                      Unfortunately, there are too many drivers out there that should never be in a Big Truck - but that’s with most everything in this day and time!

Comment

He should be terminated, ASAP, with extreme prejudice.

If he didn’t learn the first time, only a matter of time till he has a major lawsuit for negligence against the company.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                          He should be terminated, ASAP, with extreme prejudice.

If he didn’t learn the first time, only a matter of time till he has a major lawsuit for negligence against the company.

I understand, company didn’t learn the first time he worked for them about 6-7 yrs back. They rehired him since they need drivers but don’t want to pay anything worth a ****.

Let’s just say I am a minority here when you count drivers, warehouse or production employees. ( 1-W, 1-B, 13-H just in drivers )

Comment

Whenever I hook up my trailers, its a routine.

I couple, I then do a tug test.
                            After hooking up the airlines and pigtail and raise landing gear, I check to make sure the fifth wheel handle is all the way in.
                            After my pretrip inspection, I release the brakes and gently idle forward and pull on the trailer brake handle for a final tug test.

What almost always happens is you get distracted by either a phone call or somebody talking to you.

Comment

Best one I’ve seen was a guy didn’t lock in his trailer tandems after scaling. Took a 90 degree turn and the dolly, axles and wheels stayed put while him and the trailer went dragging down the road about 50 yards. His dry van looked like a frac tank going down the road

Comment

Working...
                              X