Training a Gundog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training a Gundog

I've got an 9 month old black lab that I've been working on since December, thanks to a fellow TBHer on here. I've been following the advice of a few sources, as well as some friends that gleaned some knowledge from the $500/week school they sent their dog to, and feel like I've got a pretty decent retriever so far.

What I'd like to know are some resources, books, videos...whatever...that I can go off of to work on a consistent plan (when to do what and how; what to expect, etc...). My dog will retrieve, heel, do some directional stuff, and gets in the water, but isn't too fond of just plunging in head first and swimming across the lake. I'd like to continue working on making him a better gundog, but I don't want to force too much and then turn him into a dog that's apprehensive.

So, what does everyone recommend?

Water dog & Gun Dog by richard wolters. Good reads as well as good training guidance.
    Last edited by Dirt_Dance; 08-06-2018, 05:03 PM. Reason: Left off author of books

Comment

Oh boy we are dealing with this now. Sons Charcoal lab became all gun shy July 4th. Tried working with the dog yesterday using blanks from 100 yds away and the dog ran back home up on the deck cowering. We tried it twice and we gave up. Didn't want to push the dog. But he seems real gun shy now. Dog is about 5 months old now.
      I have a lot of reading to do. Swims great, fetches great, but is gun shy. Grrrr.

Comment

I had an awesome chocolate lab that turned gun shy on me. I didnt want to torture him so now he is my mother in laws lazy lap dog. If he even smelled a shotgun he was booking it back to the house and you could find him in the bathroom peeing on the floor.

I just started over and have a 3 month old expensive yellow english lab, ive been tossing those pop snap things around on the patio at random and he doesnt notice them anymore. Im hoping that helps

Comment

Go on youtube and search gundog training, that’s what i did. My 8 month old yellow lab is the smartest dog ive ever had. He has picked up so much very quickly. But if he is gun shy it wont matter a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt_Dance View Post
            Water dog & Gun Dog by richard wolters. Good reads as well as good training guidance.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt_Dance View Post
              Yep yep! Old school but great. Did mine a great job!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

The best $60 a year that you can spend on a duck dog. Freddy king has hundreds of videos to help you out once you are a member. He has a couple of pups that he has videoed the training session every day from day one so you can get an idea of the progression. Very helpful and well worth the money in my opinion. He has some samples on youtube.

Also, Find your local Retriever Club. That's how I got started. I didn't have a clue about training until I started attending club events. You will most likely find a welcoming group of people who will help you out with anything you need. send me a PM if you have any questions about clubs. I have a state club directory somewhere around here. Good luck and remember to keep it fun, otherwise both you and the dog will suffer.

Comment

Originally posted by Festus View Post
                  https://www.theretrievertrainer.com/

The best $60 a year that you can spend on a duck dog. Freddy king has hundreds of videos to help you out once you are a member. He has a couple of pups that he has videoed the training session every day from day one so you can get an idea of the progression. Very helpful and well worth the money in my opinion. He has some samples on youtube.

Also, Find your local Retriever Club. That's how I got started. I didn't have a clue about training until I started attending club events. You will most likely find a welcoming group of people who will help you out with anything you need. send me a PM if you have any questions about clubs. I have a state club directory somewhere around here. Good luck and remember to keep it fun, otherwise both you and the dog will suffer.

This is excellent advice even more so if you have trained dogs and know the general things. His videos will fill the gap.

Remember most dogs can do anything. It’s the owner that makes the dog have limitations. Go slow, keep training short, fun and positive. If you run into areas that you can’t train and your serious about having a well trained dog, you can use a trainer (pay) to get over that “hump”.

Comment

I took my golden out too early and she got gun shy...went under the truck every chance she got. I thought I had ruined her for life. So I started taking my B.B. gun out to our practice field where we threw a frozen bird. Every time I threw that bird in the air I would dry fire the gun. Eventually she learned that the B.B. gun meant retrieving and would get excited at the sight of it. And eventually after that she forgot she was gun shy. Hope that helps...stay positive, think about it, and build a plan to make it fun for the dog!

Comment

Remember training is a marathon not a sprint.

Smartworks by Evan Graham is also a good program that is amateur friendly.

Will also highly suggest/encourage joining your local retriever club. You can get a ton of help there.

Comment

Got another pass today, hopefully Pearl does good tomorrow and earn a seasoned title.

Comment

In on this. I am in the same boat just a few months behind on age with my lab. My last one I trained to do everything I wanted but I would like to learn the fine tuned things. Watching and listening for recommendations as well. Good thread hopefully!!

Comment

Bill Hillman, Without a question. He's a Texas guy, has the most derby points of any trainer, and has a Radicaly different way of training.. I've been going through some of his dvd's/online courses in preparation for my upcoming Boykin pup.

Comment

X2 for the retrievertrainer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X