No announcement yet.

Lightning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to have no fear of lightning, what are the chances of getting struck by lightning, supposedly very low. So far, I have been zapped at least once, but it was not by the full strength of the lightning, just enough to really get my attention. I was standing in about a foot of water, when a lightning bolt struck a telephone pole about 30 yards away. That knocked the crap out of me, enough to get my attention. Then almost got zapped inside a pole barn one night. Lighting shot up from the concrete and then down from a chain and intersected right in front of my face. Then we had lightning hit a high line pole out in the bay, about 75 yards from us, my buddy got a good jolt from that one.

I have seen multiple vehicles, trees and other things that have been hit by lightning. You really never know what type of damage it will do, till it strikes. Sometimes, there is only minor damage, other times, the damage is truly amazing. Hard to understand some of the things I have seen. Trying to predict what lighting will do when it hits something is not a gamble I am really willing to take. Being in a elevated blind, with a metal stand Not something I would do, ever. **** sure would not stay in a elevated stand with my wife and child in the stand. There have been multiple stories of lighting striking a group of cattle or other animals and killing all of them. I don't mind getting wet, when hunting. If I had a choice of getting soaked by heavy rain or struck by lightning, I would go for the rain any day.

Lightning is way too unpredictable to take a chance with a high risk situation, basically taking a chance with something that greatly increases your chances of getting hit, by lighting.

Comment

Here is some lightning safety tips. The graphic is telling, lightning can be hotter than the suns surface, it isn’t just the electrical charge you have to be worried about.

If there is thunder there is lightning. Thunder is the result of air being super heated by lightning and expanding, similar to the sound a guns make

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
        It is unknown what would happen. It didn’t so that is the good thing. Lightning strikes do very strange things to people and objects. If you could have got into vehicle and sat it out that is one of best places. uTV is fine. Those tires should protect you from the current by theory
        This ! Lightening is totally unpredictable, you just can’t tell where it will strike or where it’s going from there. Glad y’all made it through. I imagine it was scary.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          It is unknown what would happen. It didn’t so that is the good thing. Lightning strikes do very strange things to people and objects. If you could have got into vehicle and sat it out that is one of best places. uTV is fine. Those tires should protect you from the current by theory
          This. I personally would have gotten out of the stand and away from the metal stand. Glad y'all are safe.

Comment

Originally posted by BeetleGuy View Post
            So last night the storm blew in on us pretty quick. I had my wife and two kids in
            Two questions did I make the right decision?

What would of happened if lighting hit the box blind?
            what would happen really

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
              what would happen really
              You don't know either.

Comment

I think you made the right decision considering you would have all been soaked to the core in the itv and if it hit you, you would have been toast being wet. Tires or not.

Leave earlier next time if possible.

Comment

If I hear thunder, I am done.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                    Different situation. The tree was the high point but cattle conduct electricity better than the tree so the electricity jumped from the tree to the cattle. Metal conducts electricity better than either so it would take the electricity straight to the ground. That is how a lightning rod/arresting system works.

I'm not advocating hunting in a blind during a lightning storm but if he had to get the family across an open field the family would be better under the blind than in an open field. The better answer is to leave before anyone gets in that situation.

Good to know.

Didn’t know that

Comment

You did your family wrong putting them into that danger......doesn't matter what you were in, lightning is dangerous.

Comment

If the frame had gone to the top of the box, then you would have probably been OK. The lightening would have followed the metal to ground. Lightening hit the end of an all metal loafing shed I built several years ago. There were 7 horses in it. The people I built it for seen it hit the building on one end. It did not kill a single horse as the lightening followed the metal right into the ground around the horses.

Comment

Glad yall are ok. I was sitting by my back patio in my la z boy with the door open listening to it rain. It got really hot my hair on my arms stood up and lightning struck a 70 ft tall pine tree 35 yards from me. It was louuud. I had to change my underwear and clean my chair. 5 days later it happened again! Lightning and im OUT!

Comment

I was going 75 miles an hour down 59 southbound and my car took a direct lightning strike. I am terrified of light ing as the exact spot it went through the car was 2 feet from my head. All this crap you read about "get in a car because the rubber tires" ect ect ect. Read about lightning. It kills more people every year than tornadoes and hurricanes. Literally you can be sitting on your couch and take a hit. This isn't 110 v electricity that has to follow a wire. It can ride the atmospheres looking for a ground connection. A ground connection rises up from earth and they connect making a full blown lightning strike. That ground connection doesnt have to follow metal. You could be suspended in air and still take a hit. I dont like lightning.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                              Ya'll are alive I guess it was the right decision.
                              agree

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                                Ya'll are alive I guess it was the right decision.
                                agree Next time ya might play it safer

Comment

Working...
                                X