I am a carb counter now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a carb counter now

I reckon I jam no different than most of you guys on here. I like cold Shiner, hot woman and meat cooked with mesquite or fried. Add some of my sister Sarah's bacon gravy and I'd fight you for the last spoonful.

Well I hit the age where the pendulum has swung. My body can't process all that any longer. I got the blood sugar problem. I also have to pass a physical agility test every year and it "aint a gimme".

So I am on a 21 day 21 pound loss, hammer down the sugar, three a day workouts. I also started dreaming up ways to change how I prepare food. I am not giving up jalapeno poppers or other foods I love to eat. So I got to work and found ways to change the way they are prepared. I have attached a couple recipes here. For you guys in the same boat as I am, give it a try and you might be surprised.

Shrimp Linguine

HEB has tofu linguine- you will need at least a pack per person.
    1 pound gulf brown shrimp on sale right no for 6 bucks a pound
    1 medium onion
    regular Alfredo sauce
    Greek no/low fat yogurt
    mushrooms
    4 Garlic toes cut thin

Rinse the linguine, place in a bowl, microwave until hot.

In a skillet add a tablespoon of olive oil, sliced onion, mushrooms and garlic and start to change the onion color, add the peeled de-veined shrimp.

While that is cooking add 50/50 ratio of Alfredo sauce and no fat yogurt in a bowl and stir together well. When the shrimp are done add your 50/50 sauce to the pan. Stir it in and let all that get married together good. I season it further with black pepper and a little salt.

Use about half of the sauce you would normally use. That would be 75 % less fat and carbs from the sauce because you mixed the yogurt cutting the mix by half and then used half of that. Add black olives if you like.

Jalapeno poppers

Do exactly as you would with cream cheese. Just replace the cream cheese with soft tofu. We had it last night and it is a guiltless scrumptious popper. Just have to be careful on the bacon.

A large jalapeno has .5g carb and a .5g dietary fiber. Take the dietary fiber and subtract it from the carb, the number remaining is the true carb. So the jalapeno has 0 carbs (.5g minus .5 g =0g carbs) so far as a diabetic is concerned. The tofu has almost nothing so far as a carb but loaded with protein. I believe a 328 g serving has 43% of your daily protein. Tofu is relatively tasteless but takes on the flavor of whatever its cooked with. My wife went back for seconds, something she never does and she is an extremely picky eater. The bacon is certainly a fat but if you cook them on a drain rack you will get rid of a tremendous amount of fat.

I hope somebody tries these and like it. Enjoy.

Low carb here also. Lost 33lbs in 3 months and have been holding that weight for 6 weeks with a couple of cheat days a week. Am now off all BP and Cholesterol meds. Hang tough my friend. Feeling great at 60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I need this, can you all elaborate on what you can and can’t eat.

Comment

Here is rule #1. If the wife diets everyone in the house loses weight. If the husband diets no one loses weight. Gotta make it a family effort.

Comment

i just quit eating bread/noodles/rice and quit drinking sodas. Water, gatorade zero, and coors light now. I lost 14 pounds in 2 weeks.

Comment

as a type 1 diabetic I can tell you that the food your cooking is much better but you need to reduce sugar as well jar stuff is full of it .

Eating healthy is costly for sure .

Sprouted grain breads much more healthy yes still have carbs , but drop soft drinks , store pre packaged food , chips , beer etc..

you can have one once in a while but its a life style for me for sure .

Snap peas, celery salad with balsamic and vinegar dressing etc .

Lettuce burger bun really good , no nitrates , as well .

liquor and a non soda drink I do gin and diet tonic , as well for each drink 1 glass of water .

Being on the pump is a mother for sure but after a few years you get used to it I am almost 50 and no one believes me I still get carded HA HA

Comment

If you have FB. I follow The Skinny Couch Potato. It’s pretty good.

Comment

I started into keto 10 days ago...it's darn tough especially at work where we frequently go to lunch with clients and they always want to go to places without any low carb options.

Comment

i did this diet about 4 months ago as i was slacking a bit and was about 20 lbs over my 160 where I feel the best . GF was doing it so I joined in how I feel eating this way is amazing .

#1 New York Times Best Seller Eat more food. Lose more weight. Haylie Pomroy has helped thousands of clients lose weight – utilizing the healing power of real, whole food. Hailed as "the metabolism guru," Haylie reminds us that food is not the enemy, it's medicine needed to rev-up your sluggish, broken-down metabolism

Comment

I’m down 25 since April

Comment

Originally posted by pure lefty View Post

I follow the Keto diet. Not for everybody but the only diet I found that I can follow. Works for me. Just google it. Oh and it definitely helps that my wife does it with me. She does great with Keto recipes. All the meat, eggs, greens, pork rinds I want. Save enough carbs during the day if I want a Michelob Ultra or two in the evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm trying to go do it like Cameron Hanes, and doing the run, lift, shoot method, along with eating clean.

I'm only 33, young for sure, but was seeing the signs of high bad cholesterol, low good cholesterol, and a bunch of other crud. I started running at least a mile or two every day even if it's in the middle of the night or at 4am. Going to the gym at least five times a week. I'm on the Keto diet now, and have dropped five pounds in one week. Hoping to keep it up.

Cam has been really inspiring for me, a guy that can outlift pro football players (17 reps of over 200 pounds on the bench press) and still run 100 miles in 26 hours at 45 years old, and bowhunts! ****. I have some catching up to do!

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by antiparadigm View Post
                          I'm trying to go do it like Cameron Hanes, and doing the run, lift, shoot method, along with eating clean.

I'm only 33, young for sure, but was seeing the signs of high bad cholesterol, low good cholesterol, and a bunch of other crud. I started running at least a mile or two every day even if it's in the middle of the night or at 4am. Going to the gym at least five times a week. I'm on the Keto diet now, and have dropped five pounds in one week. Hoping to keep it up.

Cam has been really inspiring for me, a guy that can outlift pro football players (17 reps of over 200 pounds on the bench press) and still run 100 miles in 26 hours at 45 years old, and bowhunts! ****. I have some catching up to do!

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
                          Nothing replaces a good work out routine. I am unbelievably lucky. I have had to take this physical agility rest for 11 years. Always stayed in policy and passed the test. The cycle ended September 30 and I was unable to finish because of an arthritic knee.

So my job assigned me to training until you take the test again Oct 23. So get this. I get to work out 8 hours a day. I have full access to any equipment in the gym, access to personal trainers ect. I alternate a run walk for 6 miles a day, 185 bleacher steps, 7 minutes on a 2000 meter row machine, treadmill and stationary bike. I am taking full advantage and doing a 21 day 21 pound challenge for myself. I got a lot more to go but that's ok. 1 pound is all I have to lose today.

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                            as a type 1 diabetic I can tell you that the food your cooking is much better but you need to reduce sugar as well jar stuff is full of it .

Eating healthy is costly for sure .

Sprouted grain breads much more healthy yes still have carbs , but drop soft drinks , store pre packaged food , chips , beer etc..

you can have one once in a while but its a life style for me for sure .

Snap peas, celery salad with balsamic and vinegar dressing etc .

Lettuce burger bun really good , no nitrates , as well .

liquor and a non soda drink I do gin and diet tonic , as well for each drink 1 glass of water .

Being on the pump is a mother for sure but after a few years you get used to it I am almost 50 and no one believes me I still get carded HA HA

I am completely anti sugar. I dont drink sodas, I dont use sweeteners. You will be surprised at the lack if sugar in the sauce i bought. Each 1/4 has 1 sugar. Half that with the non fat Greek yogurt and i used half if that per serving over the tofu noodles. There is really not a sugar to be counted there.

To be honest, I am completely convinced the food industry in this country uses wayyyyy too much sugar. Sugar is in everything. It's not their responsibility that I am fat, its mine. All I needed to do was care and get educated.

Comment

Originally posted by pure lefty View Post
                              All you have to do is read that package, count the carbs, subtract the dietary fiber number from the carbs. The remaining number is the true not good carb.

So say there is a tablespoon of sugar and there are maybe call it 30 carbs (guessing here for example purposes). There are zero dietary fibers in processed sugar. So 30 - 0=30 bad carbs.

Now take a bowl of oatmeal at 30 carbs. Say it has 25 dietary fibers. 30-25=5 total carbs. That falls into place with a daily carb budget.

Comment

Working...
                              X