No announcement yet.

Buck Forage Oats...Success? Maybe??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I participated in the planting and research studies of Buck Forage Oats as well as collecting data on the growth rates and preference of deer when compared to other oat varieties such as BOB, Jerry, and other "forage" oats. I can say this, the Buck Forage Oats outside the exclusion cages stayed browsed down to a couple inches, where the BFOs that were in the cage were sometimes up to 12" tall. The other oat varieties would show on average the same growth outside the cage as they did inside (meaning the deer were not browsing them much if at all). Lots of research went in to developing them at LSU which is well known for its agricultural plant research.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
      I participated in the planting and research studies of Buck Forage Oats as well as collecting data on the growth rates and preference of deer when compared to other oat varieties such as BOB, Jerry, and other "forage" oats. I can say this, the Buck Forage Oats outside the exclusion cages stayed browsed down to a couple inches, where the BFOs that were in the cage were sometimes up to 12" tall. The other oat varieties would show on average the same growth outside the cage as they did inside (meaning the deer were not browsing them much if at all). Lots of research went in to developing them at LSU which is well known for its agricultural plant research.

Some more good info there.

Comment

Get some clover & turnips & broadcast where you didn't put any seed down. You don't need to cover it.

Comment

Originally posted by goldtip5575 View Post
          Dr. Kroll was the biologist on a Central Texas lease I guided on. Buck forage was planted in numerous plots across the ranch, and the deer hammered it. We had some cattle panel hoops set up in each plot so you could see how much it was being grazed. When they can't get to it, it really is thick and plush inside those rings. James is an ok guy.
          Mustang Creek?

Comment

Last year it looks like I bought 300 pounds of Turner Seed Fall Mix and 500 pounds of 20/10/10 Fertilizer. The guys at Turner know my farmer to my north fence and this was their suggestion for my dirt. I had great success with the plot.

Am I to assume I can buy the same fertilizer combo, but switch the seed from Turner Fall Mix to Buck Forage Oats and have my tractor guy get after it?

Would you add any type of clover in it or just the oats?

Comment

I've had good luck with the buck forage oats
              trying to do a 3 acre plot with buck forage oats, chicory and clover this year if I can get it broke up.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                Threw it by hand and tilled it in. The end.
                If you have enough seed, finish what you started on the partial plot. Its looks like its gonna be a game changer.

Comment

I use a LSU developed blend, it has oats in it, wonder if they are the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                    Last year it looks like I bought 300 pounds of Turner Seed Fall Mix and 500 pounds of 20/10/10 Fertilizer. The guys at Turner know my farmer to my north fence and this was their suggestion for my dirt. I had great success with the plot.

Am I to assume I can buy the same fertilizer combo, but switch the seed from Turner Fall Mix to Buck Forage Oats and have my tractor guy get after it?

Would you add any type of clover in it or just the oats?

Yes on the first part. On the clover, it all depends what type of soil you have. Some clovers do better in certain soil types than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mustang Creek?
                      Yes sir

Comment

Originally posted by goldtip5575 View Post
                        Yes sir

Cool. I went out there a couple times with Kroll and helped fill doe tags and do necropsy studies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Buck Forage Oats...Success? Maybe??

This little odd group is showing up pretty regular.

Comment

Hi Jeff, good seeing you the other day at CCR at the Shoot. we plant BFO every fall. Usually 10-25 acres. I’ve used two types of other oats and they couldn’t handle the browse pressure or the cold. I’m in atoka ok. This year we are doing 10 acres-planted yesterday. I love the stuff and so do the deer. The stuff is so strong that I will have a full stand in spring and I’ll have to brush hog it just to let the clover/chicory come up and take over. I’ll take some pics of it over the next few weeks

Comment

Originally posted by BIG BONE View Post
                              Hi Jeff, good seeing you the other day at CCR at the Shoot. we plant BFO every fall. Usually 10-25 acres. I’ve used two types of other oats and they couldn’t handle the browse pressure or the cold. I’m in atoka ok. This year we are doing 10 acres-planted yesterday. I love the stuff and so do the deer. The stuff is so strong that I will have a full stand in spring and I’ll have to brush hog it just to let the clover/chicory come up and take over. I’ll take some pics of it over the next few weeks
                              Good to see you sir and thanks for the info above. Sure hearing a lot of good things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                                This little odd group is showing up pretty regular.

Oh yeah, they liking it.

Comment

Working...
                                X