Outboard Motor Overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outboard Motor Overheating

I have a 94 Evinrude 88 SPL. The engine hot alarm (whistle) has been an issue for years if I go much over 30mph. I finally had the impellor replaced 3 months ago and have always thought it was the problem. I was on the water last week and going about 34 mph and it went off again. I stopped , put it in neutral and raised rpm`s slightly till alarm went off(about 20 seconds). I went to Whitney this week and went across lake over 5 miles @ 28-30 mph and engine alarm never went off. I can run less than 30 mph and troll for 3-4 hours and never have a problem either. I believe it is time to replace the thermostats. I bought boat new and it has never been replaced. What say you?

Originally posted by tpack View Post
    I have a 94 Evinrude 88 SPL. The engine hot alarm (whistle) has been an issue for years if I go much over 30mph. I finally had the impellor replaced 3 months ago and have always thought it was the problem. I was on the water last week and going about 34 mph and it went off again. I stopped , put it in neutral and raised rpm`s slightly till alarm went off(about 20 seconds). I went to Whitney this week and went across lake over 5 miles @ 28-30 mph and engine alarm never went off. I can run less than 30 mph and troll for 3-4 hours and never have a problem either. I believe it is time to replace the thermostats. I bought boat new and it has never been replaced. What say you?
    This happened to me. I changed everything on my motor still happened. Pulled the heads off and the water jackets were corroded causing it to over heat. Cleaned them out problem solved

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
      Did you replace the impeller housing also?

Comment

If you been running that engine for years with the overheat alarm going off, you ain't gonna hurt it now....
        There's several things it could be though....clogged jackets likely as said....or impeller housing (internal spinning), gasket stack, or thermostats. I'd go there first, they're cheap and easy.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Is your intake staying in the water at higher speeds?

Comment

Originally posted by PeePaw on Fork View Post
            Is your intake staying in the water at higher speeds?
            I assume it is, but I do not know. I run the boat tilt/trim the same today as I did when it was new and I never had a problem until it was 9-10 years old. I also ran it at faster mph and had no issues.

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
            Did you replace the impeller housing also?
            I took it to a boat mechanic and he bought some kit to install. I did not do the replacement.

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
            If you been running that engine for years with the overheat alarm going off, you ain't gonna hurt it now....
            There's several things it could be though....clogged jackets likely as said....or impeller housing (internal spinning), gasket stack, or thermostats. I'd go there first, they're cheap and easy.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
            It has probably gone off 6-7 times the life of the engine. I also know not to drive it fast so it will not overheat as well. I have never been to concerned since the alarm goes off after stopping and running in neutral and I assumed it was the old impellor causing the overheating. Probably gonna call my boat mechanic and have him replace the thermostats before deer season. It want hurt to run it a little longer, I`ll just have to baby it.
            Last edited by tpack; 07-11-2021, 11:25 AM.

Comment

I had A Johnson 175 that sat up for a couple of years.I did a clean up and tuneup and it would throw an alarm if I ran to fast.I wound up replacing the thermostat and smooth running wide open after that.

Comment

Sounds likemaybe the popit valves. They need to open up at throttle. Unfortunately they are a pita to get to. If you go that route change the t-stats while you're in there.

Comment

Working...
                X