New Ranch Criteria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Ranch Criteria

If you were going to buy a ranch, what criteria would be on your checklist when looking at ranches and/or what questions would you ask. I don't want to give a lot of details but this isn't hypothetical (i.e. I won the lottery and money is no issue). But a little info, we are selling our current place which is just shy of 500 ac and are looking for an all around upgrade. Here is what I have so far as far as criteria & questions:
    • Better hunting than current place (bigger deer or opportunity to grow bigger deer)
    • Same or more acreage (preference would be more acreage but would rather have 400 ac wooded vs 1000 ac open land)
    • Less than a 3 hr drive from home factoring in traffic
    • Upgraded living quarters/cabin or opportunity to upgrade (i.e. no cabin but price is right to build one like we want)
    • Water - Meter or well
    • Electricity
    • Other water - tanks, creeks, etc.
    • Hf or how big are the neighbors (Trying to get away from attitude of if we don't shoot him our neighbors will even though we don't shoot them)
    • Cover - trees & brush
    • Roads - truck vs atv, when it rains, how rocky, etc.
    • Leases on property - Wind, oil, etc.
    • Ask type of hunting last 5 yrs - lease, family, day lease, etc.
    • Request pics of deer shot last 5 yrs
    • Request TC pics of deer last few years
    • What are deer numbers and are they all native
    • Other game besides deer: Turkey, dove, quail, pigs, exotic
    • Is place ag exempt or wildlife exempt and for how long

So, what else would you want as criteria or something you better find out before buying a place? Thanks in advance.

Antler restrictions? Exotics?

Comment

I think your biggest problem right now is going to be finding ANY property. There are a few super high dollar places that may fit the bill for what you want.

Comment

Good Fences and water and close electricity are extremely important

Comment

good neighbors

Comment

Best advice I can give would be to hire a Realtor who specializes in Ranch Sales.

Comment

Fences, water, neighbors, native grass

Comment

Holler at my buddy Brandon Azuelo - No Fences Land Co. 972-800-7773

Tell him what you want, let him do the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                  Best advice I can give would be to hire a Realtor who specializes in Ranch Sales.
                  LOL, I know. It sucks being the black sheep of the family sometimes...

Comment

We talking powerball lotto or scratchoff lotto?

I could come up with all kinds of things I would like that would affect the budget drastically.

Comment

Honestly, based on most of your criteria, I would look for land in Iowa. You can buy way more land, bigger animals, and way more of them. The land has way better carrying capacity as well, and supplementation is not necessary. Plus you got pheasants, turkeys, grouse, and monster deer.

So if money was no object, as you state, I would buy a plane, get my pilots license, and hunt in Iowa.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                        We talking powerball lotto or scratchoff lotto?

I could come up with all kinds of things I would like that would affect the budget drastically.
                        I don't think I was clear. I'm not saying if I won the lotto. I'm saying we have a fixed budget of let's say $2.5 million. The criteria would definitely change if we were talking lotto type money. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row for the next 6 mo...

Comment

I would stay clear of the border. Those poor ranchers down there are living in H E L L.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
                            I would stay clear of the border. Those poor ranchers down there are living in H E L L.
                            Agreed. That is a very big reason we are selling our current place. We are W of Uvalde and it's only going to get worse. Our kids can no longer hunt alone or drive to fill up feeders alone. What's the point of having a place if this is how you have to treat it?

Comment

Your list is very similar to mine, also:

Climate (annual rainfall,etc.)
                              Landscape, views
                              Proximity to a town
                              Proximity to medical facilities

Comment

Working...
                              X