Who fishes Trout in the surf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who fishes Trout in the surf?

Do you catch em? I’ve seen em swimming in the waves before and I throw big spoons. I’ve had something break off once/spooled me but I’ve never “ caught” one in the surf. I here when the water temp hits 70+ it’s on and I want to get some. Any advice welcome. I’m thinking about starting in Port Mansfield and heading to SPI next.

It's all about timing. You can't plan it. When it's right,you just go

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
      It's all about timing. You can't plan it. When it's right,you just go

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
      This. And when it’s on it’s ON and they will bite just about anything. With that said, on slower days you can throw live croaker or shrimp and usually still catch a few. I like it best when the clean water makes it up to the beach.

Comment

Go when it's right and you can catch 'em on anything you want to use. Live bait, soft plastics, topwaters, etc are all good. Catching the surf right is the hard part, then locating them. Once you find them catching them is easy.

Comment

My best days of trout fishing were in the surf. One day (unmatched since) me, my brother and my dad caught a three man limit at least three times over. It was insane. As others have said, it’s all about timing. We came back the day after and had only a fraction of the luck as the day before and the day after that, nothing. Usually when the blue water makes it closer to the shore and the mornings are rough, top waters will work. The closer we got to noon we bounced spoons off of the bottom on a swivel and leader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

About three more weeks or so till the surf cooperates. They out there.

Comment

We don’t target them in surf at any time other than June when wind lays. Topwater, silver spoons, or live mullet work well. Sure they are there almost year round but we mostly fish for reds, pompano, sharks. Early October was always awesome for trout with red head white body mirrolures. 52mm was model I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                This. And when it’s on it’s ON and they will bite just about anything. With that said, on slower days you can throw live croaker or shrimp and usually still catch a few. I like it best when the clean water makes it up to the beach.
                Where are you fishing? Upper middle lower coast?

Comment

First 2 days the surf gets green can be lights out, after that it can get tough if water stays too clear and live bait will be the go to after it has been slick and green for 3+ days. The first 2 days a bone or chrome super spook, she dog top water lures can be awesome. Norton Sand eels in glow, black chart, or purple chart can be great with a 1/8 ounce jig head.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                    Go when it's right and you can catch 'em on anything you want to use. Live bait, soft plastics, topwaters, etc are all good. Catching the surf right is the hard part, then locating them. Once you find them catching them is easy.
                    How about you call me when “ it’s right”....🤪. I need about a 3 hr head start I think 🤔

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                      Where are you fishing? Upper middle lower coast?
                      I’ve done well both upper and middle. Never fished the surf down south.

Comment

Don't wait for "perfect" conditions. Some of my best days were in dirty water with rough conditions. If its wadeable, go fish. Spoons will work. I like the Johnson sprite

Comment

You gotta go when you can go and hope the weather, waves are cooperating and they are biting. Always have a plan B in your back pocket on a trout surf trip

Comment

If the water is off color get after ‘em with rattle traps! If the waves are tough I use ‘em with single hooks instead of trebles to keep the hooks out of my hands!

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                              If the water is off color get after ‘em with rattle traps! If the waves are tough I use ‘em with single hooks instead of trebles to keep the hooks out of my hands!
                              That's old school. Good safety tip on the hooks. We were using Rattle Traps back in the 80's... Shallow diving crank baits, made for bass, work great too. KVD SexyShad is a good color..
                              Have you tried the Mirrodines?
                              Last edited by PondPopper; 05-24-2021, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X