Hail damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hail damage

Got a question for the green screen. We had a hail storm a few days ago. I replaced the roof about 6 years ago because of the last one. I have a very steep roof and the damage will most likely be minimal. I'm sure I can get it replaced by insurance but I don't really want to pay the deductible right now. They've made it harder for roofers to find loopholes to cover those. If I don't file a claim and in 5 years another hail storm hits, can my future insurance company deny the claim because of old damage? If so, how common is that really? If I do file a claim, do I have to replace the roof? If I don't, can my future insurance company deny the claim? Thanks in advance.

Yes adjuster’s can identify old damage vs new, my experience is they generally don’t.
    If you file a claim and are issued a “1st check” it is your obligation to make the repairs.

Call a reputable roofer, have them assess the damage and show you images of the damage. They will be able to tell you yes it’s totaled, partial (damage to certain slopes only) or not enough to worry about.

Comment

They cannot deny it, but they can back date it

You can have any roofer come look at it for free. Without having insurance look at it or know about it

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'm definitely going to have a few roofers look at it. I'm pretty confident this will happen again in the next 0-7 years and I don't really want to have to keep shelling out my deductible every time it happens out of fear of it affecting the coverage of the next storm. What does back dating a claim do?

Comment

I don't see why they would back date it honestly. But I know they can

Yes I agree no way I would keep filing a claim. Insurance premiums will rise and then you keep shelling out the deductible, with no major defects(water leaking, etc)

Comment

You do not have to file a claim, that's up to you. If an insurance policy is in-force, the policy will cover the damages, whether old or new. It's the burden of the insurance company to not insure roofs with existing damage to begin with. If you file a claim, and you are paid, then you have a total of 18 months to replace the roof, and then file to get any recoverable depreciation paid. Recoverable depreciation is the amount the insurance carrier holds back from paying you until the roof is replaced. If you don't replace the roof, then it's at the insurance company's discretion to non-renew your business. They would do this to keep from having additional claims in the future, like water leaking through your roof and causing interior damage to the home, due to you failing to replace the roof.

Comment

Do you have hail dings on your fence, gutters, window frames etc?

If not, the hail wasn't bad enough to cause a roof replacement IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by chadt1234 View Post
                Got a question for the green screen. We had a hail storm a few days ago. I replaced the roof about 6 years ago because of the last one. I have a very steep roof and the damage will most likely be minimal. I'm sure I can get it replaced by insurance but I don't really want to pay the deductible right now. They've made it harder for roofers to find loopholes to cover those. If I don't file a claim and in 5 years another hail storm hits, can my future insurance company deny the claim because of old damage? If so, how common is that really? If I do file a claim, do I have to replace the roof? If I don't, can my future insurance company deny the claim? Thanks in advance.

Hey Chad .

I live in Tomball and can come take a look for you. I’m replacing my entire street’s roofs here in Creekside soon. As a correction, they’ve made it illegal and fraudulent to shave deductibles.

As far as coverage, you should have up to two years to file a claim on a known storm event.

If you do file the claim, yes you need to replace the roof. If you don’t, they will: 1. hold the depreciation until you submit proof of completion. After a few years, most companies will not pay that back if you wait too long. 2. Any future insurance changes will see that you made a claim and that you didn’t replace. They’ll absolutely deny coverage at that point. Once you file that claim, time is ticking.

If you swap policies, you start over. Most companies won’t check prior to insuring you unless of course a big storm just came through and wiped out the area. However, you run the risk of the roof deteriorating until the next storm hits. Hail can rot a roof fast if you let it go, especially in Texas. If it’s damaged, I’d replace it. If not, even better.

Shoot me a pm If you have any more questions. I’m here to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

From what I can tell. No obvious damage to gutters or garage door (garage door faces the direction the door came from. To me it looks like if I wanted a new roof I could get one but I dont think the damage would be close to enough to actually warrant it. And I also feel like I'll have another shot at it way before the life of the roof is over.

Chuy, I'll send you a note if the couple of guys I have looking at it give me a reason to think anything may be troubling.

Comment

Originally posted by chadt1234 View Post
                    From what I can tell. No obvious damage to gutters or garage door (garage door faces the direction the door came from. To me it looks like if I wanted a new roof I could get one but I dont think the damage would be close to enough to actually warrant it. And I also feel like I'll have another shot at it way before the life of the roof is over.

Chuy, I'll send you a note if the couple of guys I have looking at it give me a reason to think anything may be troubling.

Sounds good Buddy. I’m in Creekside so whenever you are ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X