No announcement yet.

Oil changes and dealerships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya, or strip a plug from overtightening so it blows out and dumps all your oil at 70 mph

Comment

Go say hi - if youre not comfortable, then dont leave the car.

I got some free changes at the dealership, and when that ended, I went to a shop where I knew the Mgr. Id say go with what gets you to sleep easy.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
        I just went to Christian Brothers. They were reasonable and quick. Looked professional enough compared to Kwik lube.

I’ve been there as well. They do a good job but I wasn’t impressed when they recommended having the oil changed every 3,000 miles. Toyota recommends 10,000 miles. This isn’t 1985 and I’m not driving a Chevy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't take your vehicle to Granbury Nissan for service, it will cost you later.

Comment

I let don hewlet do my 2018 Silverado. $79 for an oil change. Car wash. Tire rotation. Takes about an hour. I walk around and look at trucks LOL.

Mazda dealer does my commuter car. I’d rather do it myself. But it’s a royal pain in the *** on such a little car. So they get to do it.

I do get bothered when they say to change that high dollar synthetic oil every 5k. Owners manual clearly says a lot more miles than that!

I finally got em to quit asking me if I wanna do all the extra crap. I did have the Chevy place drain my tranny fluid and change the filter in my truck. NOT flush it. Bout all I’ll have em do.

Comment

Originally posted by sandhillhunter View Post
              I’ve been there as well. They do a good job but I wasn’t impressed when they recommended having the oil changed every 3,000 miles. Toyota recommends 10,000 miles. This isn’t 1985 and I’m not driving a Chevy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              The one in Leander said they checked all fluids to see if any need changing. They at least acted like other places want to change fluids when they don't need changing but they only change when needed.

Comment

I let the dealer do it while it’s still under bumper to bumper. Don’t know if that’s a must but seems to make sense to me. Check everything before I get in the car. After that I do it myself. I changed oil and tires at a Walmart for a few years; it’s amazing what people can screw up… to name a few: double gasket the filter, strip the pan, double fill, fill washer fluid with oil, drain the tranny instead of the motor, leave the plug out/filter off, sit in the car with greasy clothes/hands… could go on.

Comment

I use the dealer. They sell a "service contract" for three oil changes and rotation for $99. I can't buy the 7 qts of synthetic oil/filter for that. They make up the difference when they are able to upsell all kinds of services you don't need.....like a brake fluid flush. If I get there first in the morning the wait is usually only 30 minutes or so, and I don't have buckets of oil and filters to haul to o-reilly's.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunteraudit View Post
                    I let the dealer do it while it’s still under bumper to bumper. Don’t know if that’s a must but seems to make sense to me. Check everything before I get in the car. After that I do it myself. I changed oil and tires at a Walmart for a few years; it’s amazing what people can screw up… to name a few: double gasket the filter, strip the pan, double fill, fill washer fluid with oil, drain the tranny instead of the motor, leave the plug out/filter off, sit in the car with greasy clothes/hands… could go on.
                    I use take 5 oil change in boerne
                    But when I lived in Houston Mac hyke Chevy, for some reason drained my transmission, then filled it with motor oil , when it had its first oil change

Comment

I have her take that Range Rover back lol.

Comment

after a couple mishaps from so-called professionals, I still do my own changes.
                        Is typically cheaper and I know what I put into it, not going on someone else's word.

Comment

The dealership stripped my oil drain plug and also left the oil cap off. Thankfully it didn’t fall out on the way home.
                          That was the first and last time I let a dealership do something as simple as change the oil.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                            For a Range Rover? Take it to the dealer. The techs are more experienced in RR's, they look at things that are typically problematic, and generally just do a better job. I notice this when I take my wifes Lexus in.

The same can't be said for a domestic dealership. I took my Hellcat in for an alignment, and they almost had the most junior guy do the alignment. I made them get the Viper/SRT Tech over to do the alignment. Their response was, well it's just an alignment. Yes, on a car that can do 196 mph. Get a qualified tech or I am leaving.

Not saying they are all bad, but you gotta be careful.
                            What’s Not problematic on a Range Rover? I’m not a hater but those things are a PITA!

Comment

I drove through the back of a Mercedes dealership and they use cases of mobile synthetic. Toyota same thing. Cases of it. I know they have the drums of bulk oil but they def have cases of mobile one behind both. I am particular on my oil filters. I only like the Toyota filters. They do it for 80 bucks. I let them do it.

Comment

I used to change the oil myself on mine and my wife’s vehicles, but the Ford dealership will pick up our vehicles from our house or my wife’s school, service them and bring them back. The time savings alone is worth it to me now to let them do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X