Trophy Hunting is Expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
    Nope but they do eat way better than a big ol testosterone filled buck. I exclusively hunt public land. I got away from leases a while back. Got tired of dumping money on the same old boring hunt guarding a corn barrel. Some folks do it year in and year out and that's great if they're enjoying it. I just never could justify the money spent just to be able to pound my chest about shooting a buck that slept within a hundred yards of said feeder and came in like clockwork. I'm happy fighting the crowds and having to outsmart the Deer and the other hunters I share the forest with. The point I'm trying to make is do what YOU enjoy, that's why I changed it up. If I ever do get a 160" buck in range I'll know I paid via sweat and many miles put on my boots along with a blister or two. Y'all keep growing them and I'll keep hunting them.
    Yeah. Those 160s come easy on a lease over a feeder LOL!

How many did you kill?

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
      You have more than an opinion........ Don't be playing the victim card now! You don't walk in a bar and tell everyone their beer sucks. They should all drink your beer or they are dumb and be sarcastic!
      Yup this guy drinks Zima!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
        Yeah. Those 160s come easy on a lease over a feeder LOL!

How many did you kill?
        All of them! Just felt like stirring the pot, this stuff tastes funny though.

Comment

Nope but they do eat way better than a big ol testosterone filled buck. I exclusively hunt public land. I got away from leases a while back. Got tired of dumping money on the same old boring hunt guarding a corn barrel. Some folks do it year in and year out and that's great if they're enjoying it. I just never could justify the money spent just to be able to pound my chest about shooting a buck that slept within a hundred yards of said feeder and came in like clockwork. I'm happy fighting the crowds and having to outsmart the Deer and the other hunters I share the forest with. The point I'm trying to make is do what YOU enjoy, that's why I changed it up. If I ever do get a 160" buck in range I'll know I paid via sweat and many miles put on my boots along with a blister or two. Y'all keep growing them and I'll keep hunting them.
          Exactly how I feel. When I hunted my old E. Texas lease that had way too many rules and way too few big bucks I was yearning to go back to SHNF. Ended up buying some acreage on Toledo Bend, dropped the lease, wife hunts our land, I hunt SNF. I enjoy it so much more.

Comment

Daang bet that's expensive! Good on yall though, what are their names?!
            Here's a few I had named... sure fun killing these giants.... keep talking you ain't hurting my feelings.

Big deer are like beautiful women and lifted trucks, they ain't cheap but sure are fun.

Sounds like you might be more of a hood rat low rider type of dude? To each their own!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
              Here's a few I had named... sure fun killing these giants.... keep talking you ain't hurting my feelings.

Big deer are like beautiful women and lifted trucks, they ain't cheap but sure are fun.

Sounds like you might be more of a hood rat low rider type of dude? To each their own!

I never even addressed you but those sure are some nice deer. Sorry if you or others felt attacked I'll move along I guess. The safe space has been restored, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                Exactly how I feel. When I hunted my old E. Texas lease that had way too many rules and way too few big bucks I was yearning to go back to SHNF. Ended up buying some acreage on Toledo Bend, dropped the lease, wife hunts our land, I hunt SNF. I enjoy it so much more.
                Glad you didn't feel attacked by my personal perspective. If you hunt the East side I'll buy you lunch sometime this season.

Comment

I never even addressed you but those sure are some nice deer. Sorry if you or others felt attacked I'll move along I guess. The safe space has been restored, lol.
                  Lol... dude I was jacking with you. I could care less what you or anyone else thinks about my hunting.... and there's not too many safe spaces in Mexico but I'll go check.

Comment

In the prices everyone is listing does that include the $70K truck, $20K SXS, Trailer, Feeders, Fiberglass stands, $200 per trip for food and gas?

Comment

Glad you didn't feel attacked by my personal perspective. If you hunt the East side I'll buy you lunch sometime this season.
                      Sounds great. I look forward to that.

Comment

i do know one thing... i grew up hunting in east texas grimes and walker county and i will tip my hat to those that kill big deer in the pines. its hard hunting and takes a lot of patience and those older deer are hard to even see.

i moved down to coastal plains and hunted here for years - it was very different. when i was about 35 years old i was invited to south texas- and so the biggest addiction in my life began. im 50 now and i cant do without it- its like crack or something and i dont apologize to anybody for it. haa my .02

Comment

Ain’t nobody attacking nobody lol. Lots have thrown hate towards leases and feeder hunters when I’d bet the vast majority just can’t afford it so they hate on it. I can’t afford a big trophy lease. And since I did kill a monster of a buck I’ve slowed way down with my drive. I’d smoke another in a heartbeat. And I don’t shoot deer at a young age unless they are trash bucks. But I simply don’t hunt hard like I did before that. I let the inches overshadow the experience on some hunts and regret it. Some very good deer I let walk I probably shoulda shot lol. But hey. I have a good time and I’d rather let one walk and regret that than regret killing a buck that did bring me joy. Culls are always in great danger though

Comment

I guess youre either lucky or pay to play. At this point in my life I’m happy I have a place to hunt and it’s with people I like. Occasionally a 140-150 pops up and someone will shoot it. Almost a gamble, oddly enough that’s part of the fun for me. But where we hunt we aren’t at liberty to intensely manage and allowed to put in a ton of extra money or labor to attempt to grow deer. Maybe that’s a saving grace for us. I feel like a lot people bust *** year in and year out and hunt diligently just to get robbed. It’s rough to see that. I’m just glad to have a place to hunt at all.

Giving it consideration though, if I decided to focus solely on trophy hunting I would probably just save my pennies and do my research on ranches and pay for one. That OR spend my money on a more adventurous hunt and the whole experience would be the trophy.

Comment

I cannot for the life of me understand the mindset behind wanting to emulate the season structures of other states (long archery, short rifle). We don’t have a season structure problem, we have a too-many-tags problem in some areas. I’m all for dropping the spike rule in AR counties and make them one buck, but to prioritize archery over firearms is ludicrous.

You take rifles out of people’s hands for 3 years or whatever and watch the number of current and future deer hunters plummet in the span of one season.
                              Last edited by Etxbuckman; 06-28-2021, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hillwhacker View Post
                                You describe the lease that I just lost due to sale of the property….
                                ****...hate to here this Ed! you and Dawn are going to have to take the road trip hunts with us.
                                Last edited by Tom; 06-28-2021, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X