Put turkeys to bed....now what???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put turkeys to bed....now what???

So I’ve got my 11 year old with me at the ranch in Sonora trying to get him a bird. We were on 3 gobblers this evening but they were hanging up just out of range. Finally they walked off about 100 yards and flew up in a big oak tree. This was right at dark. We want to get back on them in the morning but I’m not sure what time we need to be there? When do turkeys fly down from the roost in the morning?

Get close before daylight and be quiet. Don’t use a light if you can get by without it. Set your decoys out and if you call at all, just make a couple soft yelps about daylight. They will be awake and they will hear you. Patience is a virtue in this scenario. Good luck !

Comment

First time I unknowingly hunted in an area with turkeys, I climbed up in my treestand before sun up and started waiting. About 15 min after first light they started clucking in the trees around me and realized I was surrounded. I had never heard them before but was surprised they weren’t spooked.

Comment

Roosted ain't roasted.....

Slip in EARLY. If they are by themselves then you should be able to kill them without much issue. Refrain from calling too much while they are in the tree regardless of how much they gobble. Couple of soft yelps as day breaks and they will know where you are. I like to hit them with an aggressive yelp or cut as soon as their feet hit the ground, then be patient. They will tell you what to do from there

Comment

This has worked for me several times. Sneak in about 30 minutes before daylight very quietly. Place a decoy or 2 about 15-20 yards away not directly in front of you but off to the side from the direction of the trees they are in. At daylight use some soft tree yelps followed by some fly down cackles to simulate the hens hitting the ground. You should get some gobbles. If you do they know exactly where the hens should be. Maybe a few more soft yelps and wait for them to come.

Comment

Enjoy the fly down. My favorite part.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
              Roosted ain't roasted.....

Slip in EARLY. If they are by themselves then you should be able to kill them without much issue. Refrain from calling too much while they are in the tree regardless of how much they gobble. Couple of soft yelps as day breaks and they will know where you are. I like to hit them with an aggressive yelp or cut as soon as their feet hit the ground, then be patient. They will tell you what to do from there
              ^^^^^^^^^ This right here

Comment

Good luck. I struck out this week, but we just didn’t have any mature Tom’s on the property near Junction.

Great advice above.

BP

Comment

Official sunrise here is at 7:30 in the morning. I’m going to assume that means first light around 7. Y’all think being set up by 6:45 will be ok? It’s gonna be high 30's low 40's we dis bring some warm cloths but the boy ain’t gonna last long sitting still on the ground if it’s in the 30’s.
                  Last edited by ColinR; 04-01-2021, 09:08 PM.

Comment

If your son can't tolerate the cold or it doesn't happen fast enough, look at hunting later in AM. Some of the best calling action can be later in the morning or afternoon after hens have separated to go nest.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                      Official sunrise here is at 7:30 in the morning. I’m going to assume that means first light around 7. Y’all think being set up by 6:45 will be ok? It’s gonna be high 30's low 40's we dis bring some warm cloths but the boy ain’t gonna last long sitting still on the ground if it’s in the 30’s.

6:45 is too late assuming you’re getting right to the roost. They’ll be on the ground around 7

I’d be setup no later that 6:30

Comment

Hope you are awake and go get em. Good luck. Put out a few good calls and both of ya sit very still.

Comment

Good luck, I'm taking my 10 yo son on his first
                          Turkey hunt Tomorrow at my Dad's Ranch... He's super excited, We
                          Are covered up in birds .I hope I can make it happen!!
                          No pressure lol...
                          Last edited by BigOh!; 04-02-2021, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Good
                            Luck!!!

Comment

What color is his skeeping bag or how anout a blanket, take that and wrap him up enough to keep the chill off.

Comment

Working...
                              X