Owning ostriches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owning ostriches

My kids wanted a few ostrich at the ranch... i said ok and ordered half a dozen from texas... they are about a yr old. We have 400 high fenced acres in Louisiana. axis, fallow, sika, blackbuck, P david in there. Any downside to this? The person buying them hand raised them and said they are "cool" with kids. kids will not pet them just ride around on four wheelers and look at them... am i setting my self up for something bad? they are not cheap but i figured if it goes bad we can easily get rid of them... thx!

sub'd

Comment

Would they have access to the hunting ground? Last thing you need is freaking big Bird off sesame street ruining a hunt by busting ya. I know they have very good eyesight. They shouldn't be a problem to the other critters though. Keep us updated sounds like fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Whatever happens, please make sure the video camera is rolling.

Comment

Males will get mean. Blue necks are worse than red necks or visa versa. Can remember which. But this shouldn't be of concern on 400 acres. My daughter has a very large male that she can't even give away.
          Last edited by Walker; 11-10-2020, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            Males will get mean. Blue necks are worse than red necks or visa versa. Can remember which. But this shouldn't be of concern on 400 acres.
            Man, I have had them chase me/truck in tens of thousands of acres. :-). In S. Africa there were a couple territorial males by the lodge. When going out to hunt in the back of the truck one kept trying to bite the crud out of me and a tracker. I hit it in the head with a castle beer bottle and was glad it got up and I didn’t have to pay the fee. You don’t realize how big they are until they chase you! Good luck!

Comment

I don't know how common this is but a friend of mine was quail hunting with his 80 year old uncle on a place that had a few ostriches on it. The landowner told them one of the males had a bad attitude and to keep an eye out. They were out in a pasture and sure enough this thing came sprinting out of the brush and attacked the old man. My buddy put three loads of birdshot in it's head and neck and it just ran off. The old man had some broken ribs but luckily didn't get spurred.

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJyZcdgMc8s"]Ostrich and Emu attack humans| Funny Vines 2020| Funny Video Compilation - YouTube[/ame]

Who would you sell them to if you need to get rid of?

Comment

They are mean as hell for the most part

Comment

They will probably follow you truck every time you drive the ranch. Their front toe looks like a velociraptor.

Comment

Not a good idea those males are going to get mean.Every time someone goes out there they will need to be on constant lookout for them.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                        Whatever happens, please make sure the video camera is rolling.

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                        I hit it in the head with a castle beer bottle and was glad it got up and I didn’t have to pay the fee.
                        Yall crack me up...I love this place.

Comment

From what I’ve heard and seen on African hunting shows I sure wouldn’t have them around my kids.

Comment

No, would be my vote. It was a good idea until it wasn’t my banker told me that. But 400 acres is a big playground for anything

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
                              This is the content I’m here for

Comment

Working...
                              X