Loading a boat in a crosswind.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loading a boat in a crosswind.

Well, I just jacked up my right boat trailer fender...jacked up the left one about a month ago. Both happened while loading during a stong cross wind. Suprisingly, I googled this and I guess I'm the only one who has damaged their fenders loading a boat.

It is very frustrating. I'm still green to boat ownership and I'm sure I'll get better w/practice. I've tried everything from coasting letting the wind take me in, to trying to power it in there. With both I come so close then next thing you know I'm sideways on the trailer.

Any tips in loading during a cross wind or protecting fenders. Its a 24ft bayboat, tandem axle trailer. I bought those 6ft guide rails but they didn't help.

You have to play the wind just perfect. If I see it’s not going to work I back out and circle around again. I do this until I feel it’s right and then drive it right on. Don’t get the trailer as deep either. Helps the boat land quicker if that makes sense.

Comment

Sounds like you are putting the trailer in too deep.

Comment

I have a tritoon and the ramp by my lakehouse always seems to have a crosswind. It definitely helps not to have trailer in to deep. Luckily the ramp is not that busy and I can take a couple stabs at it.

Comment

and choose your boat ramp according to the wind if possible

Comment

Yep. Do a shallow load to catch the V of the bow, and then back truck in a little more if you need to get the bow up to the winch.

If you have the ramp to your self you can run it a little diagonal to offset the cross wind.

Finally, playing the wind comes with experience with YOUR boat, they all kind of behave a little diff. So take your time and get a good feel for your rig and how much you have to counter the wind and waves.

Good luck! Better slow than sorry at the ramp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One of those guys you wish wasn't ahead of you at the ramp.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                This is key

Comment

Yup, trailer shallow, then power on!

Comment

My thoughts as well. You don't want to to go all the way op to your winch pedestal. Leave the trailer out enough to have to use your boat motor to push up. Even if it won't push all the way up use your winch to pull it up. Take note of how far your trailer is in the water and adjust it each time until you find the sweet spot.

Comment

This and rig up some PVC pipe guides, I usually keep the fenders slightly out of the water and let the pipes guide me on

Comment

Trailer to deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          One of those guys you wish wasn't ahead of you at the ramp.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                          I know. I don't want to be that guy. As soon as I got my boat, before I put it into the water I practiced backing down the ramp and in the HS parking lot. Also, got my routine down so my boat is in the water and trailer parked asap. Just have problems loading it sometimes. I also will wait to load, if I see someone about to load/unload encase it takes me a couple tries.

Comment

Load real shallow with a bad cross wind.Saw a guy get both legs broke trying to help load bass boats on trailers @ Amistad;several years ago.Careflight,right off the ramp parking lot.

Comment

A good idea is to sink all the bunks(get em wet)Pull up,and run the strap out.Hook it,winch it up.Sucks,but you ain't gonna wreck your fenders.

Comment

Working...
                              X