Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a set of Rattle Horns for my Son for Christmas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a set of Rattle Horns for my Son for Christmas.

Hey guys- my young son loves to rattle so I’m going to make him his own set of rattlers for Christmas. Looking for advice on:

1) where to buy strips of leather so that I can wrap the handles and connect them

2) some sort of instructional guide or directions on how to best braid and wrap(?) those handles so that it looks nice and lasts.... as much as the abuse a 5 year old will give to them.

I have a general idea in my head of what i want it to look like- just don’t know exactly how to do it. Thanks guys appreciate the help.

Hobby Lobby or Michaels will have spools of the leather strap material in the craft area. Paracord could also be used. I find when the leather gets wet, it stains your hands whatever color the leather is dyed.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
      Hobby Lobby or Michaels will have spools of the leather strap material in the craft area. Paracord could also be used. I find when the leather gets wet, it stains your hands whatever color the leather is dyed.
      I’d tend to agree with this. Leather dye can be brutal about stains. If it’s for show and not for hunting then it’s beautiful. I’d tend to agree with para cord for now and once he is old enough to cherish them as a display, change to leather. But what the hell do I know.

Comment

YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Boss Buck View Post
          YouTube
          Here
          I like paracord over leather

Comment

tagged

Comment

The leather on the laces on a spool at Michaels or Hobby Lobby work great and give a great look to them.

Simply braid 3 laces and tie an knot on the end of them through a drilled hole at the base of each antler.

Mine are just long enough to hang over my leg so that the horns rest on either side of my leg...super easy to do and looks great.

I have never had any troubled with staining.

I also cut off the tips of the G3 antlers to reduce the frequency of knocking the heck out of my knuckles

Comment

I made my son a pair. Had a 128 inch 8pt that the skull cap broke on. I cut and smoothed the brow times and drilled a hole in the base and epoxied in stainless rifle sling swivel studs. I then weaved a strap from black and brown para cord. He still has them and uses them till this day.

Comment

I have been real tempted to go this route. Expensive, but cool.

Be the envy of the campfire! Choose the size horns you would like, or select Mail-In if you are providing them. The remaining options will be in a form at checkout. Price includes custom rope, leather, stitching, and engraving. There are three (3) categories of antlers available offered at an addi

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	C1B1CAE0-19A6-4BA5-B669-46316BD9CA31.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	24637746

Here are mine maybe the can help you. I bought these off here several yrs ago and can’t remember who. Best sounding rattling horns I’ve owned. Riley won’t hardly hunt any other way
                    Last edited by BrandonA; 11-18-2020, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
                      I have been real tempted to go this route. Expensive, but cool.

http://www.southtexasbangers.com/sho...-horns-leather
                      Please don’t spend that much on such a simple project. Drill bit, leather from Tandy and you’re food to go. Send me horns and I’ll do it for $75, super simple. Nice gift. Just rattled in a beautiful 12 point last week too - so exciting!!

Comment

I would add that def cut off the brow tines and smooth that out.....and don't feel like the horns need to be huge, small ones pack easier.

I would also fashion some type cord to lash them together or get a bunge cord so that you can tie them together when packing.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys- BrandonA kinda what I have pictured....

That site is neat but no way I’d ever pay that much.... that’s nuts....

I will cut off brows and sand in general so they are smooth in the hands.

Leon nice offer thank you but I really want to make them myself- took the horns off a buck my FIL shot so wanted to keep it as something we made and had from us.

Really just looking for a place that may have instructions on how to do one of those braid designs- I can figure it out trial by error but there are always tricks that if you had known would make the process much easier and the finished product look better....

Oh and will def attach them with a cord or braid or something.

Comment

Just typed “braid leather around a handle” into YouTube, and there are several videos of different styles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                              Just typed “braid leather around a handle” into YouTube, and there are several videos of different styles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Good deal thank you sir- had not started looking yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X