Young or Really Old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young or Really Old?

At first glance I thought we had a really nice up and comer but the more I look at him the more I'm leaning towards post-mature. Thoughts?
    Attached Files

I would lean towards post mature. His hocks are awful stained up for September. He's knock kneed and sway backed with a lot of white belly showing even though he has ribs showing as well.

Comment

Man that’s a tough one. Somewhat deep brisket, longer snout, big belly. I can see some old traits but it’s hard to tell. A video would really tell the story. I have one on camera that at first glance he looks like a 3.5 yr old but in video he could be post mature, it’s hard to tell. Same situation as this deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s a mature deer and great typical set of head gear!

Comment

He looks older for sure. It can be tricky judging from a pic. There’s a certain point where as a nurture deer declines he can take on some traits that make him appear younger at first glance.

Comment

He looks young to me just maybe a little malnutrition. Could have gotten sick or hurt. Not much for a brisket and no calluses on his knees. Years of seeing a certain deer is the only true way to determine the exact age of a deer. Old deer generally look old in the face
            Last edited by Mexdeer19; 09-15-2020, 01:27 PM. Reason: Add info

Comment

I'm on the not post mature crowd.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Young.

Comment

3 young, 3 olds and an unsure...

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
                    I would lean towards post mature. His hocks are awful stained up for September. He's knock kneed and sway backed with a lot of white belly showing even though he has ribs showing as well.
                    ^^^^^^^^ Good observations... I learned something.

Comment

Originally posted by jt400 View Post
                      3 young, 3 olds and an unsure...
                      One marker that never changes is the head/face. His body does look post-mature.

This buck has the look of a young deer in the face: long, narrow skull and nose. A post mature buck will have a body like that and have a short nose and a wide, blocky skull. Of course there are exceptions and this buck could very well be one.

Do you have any history with this deer?

Edit: he also has no sag in his brisket and no dimple in his flank.

Comment

I'm going young...no calluses on his knees to show a post mature buck and virtually slick on his bases. Typically an older deer will show calluses and burred bases.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                          One marker that never changes is the head/face. His body does look post-mature.

This buck has the look of a young deer in the face: long, narrow skull and nose. A post mature buck will have a body like that and have a short nose and a wide, blocky skull. Of course there are exceptions and this buck could very well be one.

Do you have any history with this deer?
                          I'd add that most post mature deer don't have spindly symmetrical antlers. They tend to have more mass more kickers and less symmetry and smaller frames...Based on my observations.

Comment

Young vote from me

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
                              I'd add that most post mature deer don't have spindly symmetrical antlers. They tend to have more mass more kickers and less symmetry and smaller frames...Based on my observations.

Great point. I agree 100%.

Comment

Working...
                              X