Headed to Alaska-Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
    The wife and I booked a vacation to Alaska for late July, early August.

We land in Anchorage late on July 27th and cannot check into the fishing lodge until Friday afternoon. We are using Tower Rock lodge on the Kenai River. It is about a 3 hour drive from Anchorage to the lodge.

We have 2 1/2 days to kill and wanted ideas from the Green Screen. We were considering doing the Denali area, but it is a bout a 9 hour drive from there down to the lodge, so we have ruled that out. We are thinking about Homer.

Any thoughts?
    When do you guys leave? We are potentially arriving in the area on the 3rd or 4th.

Comment

Originally posted by bdubb View Post
      See if there’s any outfits that can take you to the Knik glacier on the 4x4 trails outside of Palmer. May just be locals and not commercial though, not sure.
      There are at least 2 commercial outfits that go out to the glacier https://youralaskavacation.com/
      Join us for the best Alaska ATV tours! See wilderness, wildlife & glaciers on a quad or UTV side-by-side. Book our day tours, over-night adventures or multi-day camping excursions.

Comment

Originally posted by blackfoot1 View Post
        Any of you guys coming up have any questions or run into last minute problems, feel free to give me a shout. I’m in the tourism industry on the Kenai Peninsula, and have contacts from Seward to Kenai to Homer. I’ll help my fellow Texans out. If you’re traveling thru Ninilchik stop by!
        Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
          When do you guys leave? We are potentially arriving in the area on the 3rd or 4th.
          We leave on July 27th and return on August 5th. We would love to connect with you guys if possible.

Comment

These were on the drive from Anchorage to Kenai on an overcast foggy day. Just joy ride. Beautiful country. Wish I was there for more than just work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

The color of the Kenai river is amazing, pics dont do the place justice.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                Make sure you dont skimp on wet weather gear.........it can make or brake your trip to one of the GREATEST fisheries on earth!
                I hope my rain gear is up to speed!

Originally posted by blackfoot1 View Post
                Any of you guys coming up have any questions or run into last minute problems, feel free to give me a shout. I’m in the tourism industry on the Kenai Peninsula, and have contacts from Seward to Kenai to Homer. I’ll help my fellow Texans out. If you’re traveling thru Ninilchik stop by!
                This is really helpful! Thank you!

We leave on July 27th and return on August 5th. We would love to connect with you guys if possible.
                We will be wearing TBH gear! Easy to recognize!

Comment

One thing I’ll add I haven’t seen anyone mention... take binos if you have the chance. The drive from anchorage down onto the peninsula there is a good chance to see sheep feeding in the mountains. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve been fishing the kenai or Russian for salmon, taken an hour break just to watch sheep through binos up on the mountain sides.
                  Also a decent chance to see mountain goats when you get down to Seward.

Comment

Cant say enough good things about Seward, and like mentioned above bring good rain gear you WILL need it. Also 2nd the binos all kinds of critters up there to look at. Be prepared to eat good as well. Best seafood I have ever had was in Seward.

Comment

Originally posted by Hughiam View Post
                      Juneau is the capital and has lots of touristy things for the cruise ships. But you can only drive so far as its land locked. And it rains....ALOT.

Anchorage is like most big cities but leans towards tourists downtown. Good restaurants, shops etc.
                      Thanks for the input. I will be going to Anchorage. First time in Alaska and look forward to it. Not much time to sight see.

Comment

We could try to meet up on your last night there and our first night in. Looks like we will be arriving on the 4th.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
                          We could try to meet up on your last night there and our first night in. Looks like we will be arriving on the 4th.
                          Great. I know we will have time to kill. Our flight leaves at 1:30 in the morning.

Comment

Moose’s tooth in anchorage

Comment

Working...
                            X