Chevrolet Colorado diesel question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chevrolet Colorado diesel question.

Looking at buying a ZR2 diesel.A little 2.8 duramax.Anybody got any feedback.Pros/cons.Problems you've had,etc.Thanks for any/all input!

dad's got one and loves it. Gets 30-32mpg highway back and forth to work and says it pulls better than the half ton he traded on it. Hadn't heard him complain about anything yet.

Comment

Sit in one first. They are tiny inside. My wife's rav4 was bigger inside than the 2019 Colorado I sat in a while back. As far as the motor goes, be ready for really expensive oil changes and fuel filters. Beyond, that, I don't have much. It will probably run to 300k if you treat it right.

Comment

Good deal!

Originally posted by fulmer34 View Post
        dad's got one and loves it. Gets 30-32mpg highway back and forth to work and says it pulls better than the half ton he traded on it. Hadn't heard him complain about anything yet.
        Man,that's what I wanna hear! Thanks!

Comment

Yes sir.

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
          Sit in one first. They are tiny inside. My wife's rav4 was bigger inside than the 2019 Colorado I sat in a while back. As far as the motor goes, be ready for really expensive oil changes and fuel filters. Beyond, that, I don't have much. It will probably run to 300k if you treat it right.
          I've always had diesels.Since '99,anyway.I change my own oil,filters;most of the time.That ZR2 is really calling my name,but I don't want a gasser.I sat in one the other day,and it fit me pretty good,I ain't very big to begin with.The def crap will come off at some point,I hope.Just wondering if there's been any mechanical problems early on.I can handle repairs after the warranty runs out.Just wanna be forewarned about any early on probs..If it's a pia,I'll just buy another powerstroke,but a single cab.I gotta get a shorter truck,asap.

Comment

I'm 6'2, 270#s. Been driving 3/4 ton diesels since 07 (still have one).

The ColoRAYdo is impressive, though small. Roomy enough, but noticeably smaller than full size.

I pull a 12' trailer w a gate, loaded down w pro fxt mule & gear. No issues. Pull my 24' toon as well. Gets 30+ mpg hwy, bout 27-28 city. 18-20 mpg trailering.

I bought it for a huntn rig. KS trips mainly.

40k mi so far, so good (knock on wood).

Free oil changes for life (SW Paul's Valley, OK).

With all that said....My wife LOVES it!

I prefer my 04 goat.

Comment

Originally posted by Hart8 View Post
              I've always had diesels.Since '99,anyway.I change my own oil,filters;most of the time.That ZR2 is really calling my name,but I don't want a gasser.I sat in one the other day,and it fit me pretty good,I ain't very big to begin with.The def crap will come off at some point,I hope.Just wondering if there's been any mechanical problems early on.I can handle repairs after the warranty runs out.Just wanna be forewarned about any early on probs..If it's a pia,I'll just buy another powerstroke,but a single cab.I gotta get a shorter truck,asap.
              My dad is 5'9 and 180lbs not very big, I am 6' 240lbs little larger. It is not a big vehicle, but if you are buying it you know that. I will say though no bigger than it is, it is fairly comfortable, he has a crew cab mind you. I drive an f350 so I am used to plenty of space. It is small but not uncomfortable. Dad put a leveling kit and upsized the wheels and tires slightly. He has had it a little over a year and it has served him well. He does his own maintenance also, so not sure what the cost difference is in the diesel vs gas.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                Maybe I'm missing something, but the oil filters are 10 bucks and it takes less than 6 quarts. The fuel filters are 30 bucks.

Comment

My BIL had one. He didn't have it very long and said he wouldn't buy another one.

He didn't go into detail and I really didn't care, for whatever that's worth.

Comment

Yeah.

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                    Maybe I'm missing something, but the oil filters are 10 bucks and it takes less than 6 quarts. The fuel filters are 30 bucks.
                    And pretty sure there's only one fuel filter.My powerstroke has 2.

Comment

10-4

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
                      My BIL had one. He didn't have it very long and said he wouldn't buy another one.

He didn't go into detail and I really didn't care, for whatever that's worth.
                      Thanks.

Comment

Heck yeah!

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
                        I'm 6'2, 270#s. Been driving 3/4 ton diesels since 07 (still have one).

The ColoRAYdo is impressive, though small. Roomy enough, but noticeably smaller than full size.

I pull a 12' trailer w a gate, loaded down w pro fxt mule & gear. No issues. Pull my 24' toon as well. Gets 30+ mpg hwy, bout 27-28 city. 18-20 mpg trailering.

I bought it for a huntn rig. KS trips mainly.

40k mi so far, so good (knock on wood).

Free oil changes for life (SW Paul's Valley, OK).

With all that said....My wife LOVES it!

I prefer my 04 goat.
                        Man,thanks for the feedback!! I drive to Iowa quite a bit.So that fuel mileage,I dig! I'll pull a bassboat with it some.Deer hunt etc..Thanks a bunch!
                        Free oil changes forever??I need to negotiate that!!

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by fulmer34 View Post
                          My dad is 5'9 and 180lbs not very big, I am 6' 240lbs little larger. It is not a big vehicle, but if you are buying it you know that. I will say though no bigger than it is, it is fairly comfortable, he has a crew cab mind you. I drive an f350 so I am used to plenty of space. It is small but not uncomfortable. Dad put a leveling kit and upsized the wheels and tires slightly. He has had it a little over a year and it has served him well. He does his own maintenance also, so not sure what the cost difference is in the diesel vs gas.
                          Good deal.Thanks for the report!
                          I've been in a Powerstroke for 5 years.I don't think I'll ever drive a gas truck.I just like 'em.This is a toy compared to a powerstroke,but I dig it's off road capability(ZR2)Plus I like the fact it sounds like my Kubota while it's idling!😂
                          Thanks again bubba!

Comment

They do sound like a Kaboto at idle

Comment

I’ve gotten to drive both a ZR2 and 3.0 1500 diesel. I’d buy the 3.0 Silverado, a lot more power and doesn’t cost much more (mpg are about even).

Comment

Working...
                              X