Palm trees along the coast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wickll View Post
    From what I have and what I have seen, most Mexican fan palms are toast as are queen palms. However pindo palms and Texas Sabals look to be fine. I think I saw a pygmy date palm that survived.

Most of this was in the Victoria and Port Lavaca area.
    Pm sent

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
      I talked to man that does this for a living and he said cut off all the dead yellow limbs off the sago palms and the ones still alive will have furry new growth coming out in a few weeks if they are still alive but my wife said don't cut the yellow limbs off and I said but the man said to. Ours still have the yellow limbs on them. I maybe be crazy but not stupid and I'm not sleeping with the guy who does this for a living.

I had a Sago palm freeze several years ago at my old house. I cut all the limbs off and almost dug it up. It stared to grow back. 7 years later I still drive by that house and the sago palm is huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 3 Mexican fan palms in Palacious. Says they can handle 15 degrees. Not sure jus how cold it got.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Comment

From what I see here in Port A , it looks like we will lose quite a few trees . Pretty sad looking

Comment

my Mexican fans are only about 3' tall. Planted them a couple years ago. I cut the tops off and have new green fan growth coming out of two of the 3. Both of my 10' queens look to be gone, as does my 15' fox tail. I cut all the majestics to the ground and have not seen any new growth yet.

Comment

Anyone I could email or text a video of mine I was working on yesterday to get your opinion on survival odds? I’m clueless and don’t know the varieties I have.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                Anyone I could email or text a video of mine I was working on yesterday to get your opinion on survival odds? I’m clueless and don’t know the varieties I have.
                I just replied to your pm.

Comment

I just replied to your pm.
                  Thanks!

Comment

I’m up near D/FW but I have 1 14’ Sabal and 3 ~5’ chinese windmills. I went with these as they’re supposed to be the hardiest (along with Pindo). They’re not looking good but I’m hoping they all make it. It got to -2 degrees here.

Comment

I know that Mexican Fan Palms have tons of spikes on the stems

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Comment

I trimmed my sagos , leaving about 4-5 inches of the fronds or branches. I am fairly confident that the fronds are dead and couldn't stand the sight of so much brown. I am hoping that the trunk is still alive. But I do have a potted sago that when I tugged on the fronds, they came off. Time will tell .

I would not prune fronds off of others unless you restrict it to cutting off only portions that are definitely dead.
                        If the part at the top of the tree that produces the palms froze the whole thing is toast, the trunk will not stay alive.

Comment

I'm secretly hoping those dang banana trees froze that are on either side of the stupid pergola by my pool... I had cut them off at the ground a few weeks earlier (after that first storm when they turned brown)... Mulched them like in the past, but don't know if they can take the 8 degrees and almost 48 hours below freezing... My wife is all worried about them, so you guys help me remember I'm s'pos'd to be worried too!!

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                            If the part at the top of the tree that produces the palms froze the whole thing is toast, the trunk will not stay alive.

This would be correct sir
                            I do this for a living and saved a handful of them before the blizzard came thru

Pretty much everyone I have came across since the storm have been killed
                            You can test the pigmy palms by grabbing the very center frond and if it pulls out with somewhat ease, it’s dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m giving my fan palms and sago palms a few more weeks to come back.

Comment

The mescan fan palms tend to do the best.I'd cut em in half,before I cut em down..I've seen em snap back,and I've seen em go on,and die.

Comment

Working...
                                X