Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property tax lien

Need some green screen knowledge.

Our absentee neighbor land owner has past due property taxes and penalties. No loan that I'm aware of. I finally connected with a granddaughter and learned property owner passed away in 2019. The only son lives in NC and isn't on speaking terms with this family member.

I plan to call the county tax office and ask for as much info as I can get. Would this property wind up at the county foreclosure auction? I'd like to be ready to buy it if it did so just trying to figure out how to get prepared.

How long and how much past due dollars before a county will take action? What is the notification period? Would it be different if the land is now in probate possibly? (Note that the tax office has the property address on file but no separate owner address- I checked that first).

It’s probably in probate now. Meaning they’re trying to or about to start settling the estate. This may not be the only asset of the person that died

It would probably be years before it’s up for back tax auction but you can try and buy it from the heir(s) before it gets to that point. That’s where I’d start.
    Last edited by W E H; 03-01-2021, 08:23 PM. Reason: More information

Comment

Originally posted by W E H View Post
      It’s probably in probate now. Meaning they’re trying to or about to start settling the estate. This may not be the only asset of the person that died

It would probably be years before it’s up for back tax auction but you can try and buy it from the heir(s) before it gets to that point. That’s where I’d start.
      Right now I have no way to reach the heir. Not sure how to track them down.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
        Right now I have no way to reach the heir. Not sure how to track them down.

A PI may be able to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Read your first post again.

The granddaughter is not on speaking terms with the only son? Is the only son an only child? Wouldn’t that be her father?

Where did absentee landowner live? You might go look at the courthouse in that county and see if they’re any probate/wills posted. If it’s not to large a town you can ask a few of the law offices if they’re handling the will/probate of “absentee landowner” and go from there

Comment

If you buy a tax lien property, I think you can take possession but the property, is still in limbo as they have 24 months to repay you to retain possession

Comment

I've looked into buying tax lien auctions. It's a pretty messy process. Definitely buying from heirs after probate is cleanest. Work with the granddaughter for information and a fair offer.

Comment

Originally posted by W E H View Post
                Read your first post again.

The granddaughter is not on speaking terms with the only son? Is the only son an only child? Wouldn’t that be her father?

Where did absentee landowner live? You might go look at the courthouse in that county and see if they’re any probate/wills posted. If it’s not to large a town you can ask a few of the law offices if they’re handling the will/probate of “absentee landowner” and go from there
                This is her step grandfather. She is on speaking terms with her step grand sister who is Not speaking to the only biological son/heir. It's complicated! [emoji1787].

It has been almost two years since he died but the tax records haven't been updated. Not sure how long probate could last.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                  This is her step grandfather. She is on speaking terms with her step grand sister who is Not speaking to the only biological son/heir. It's complicated! [emoji1787].

It has been almost two years since he died but the tax records haven't been updated. Not sure how long probate could last.
                  ugh. sounds messy but ask for his contact information. You've nothing to lose by contacting him - it's not you he's not on speaking terms with. If you want to proceed I would enlist a real estate attorney to help with the legal docs and contract.

Comment

What county?

Comment

I believe it is a matter of money in arrears. after a certain amount they start the process. which includes trying to get ahold of known relatives/heirs.

after that comes up negative... a date is set for the auction. if you do get it, there are if's and butts involved. the owner can come forward "X" amount of months later and pay you for the property and it is theirs.

Comment

Is this in Dallas County? Most smaller counties have a website where you can check to see if the deceased's will has been filed for probate. Dallas' public records website is a nightmare.

In any event, you can check with the county in which he died to see if his will is in probate. If so, you can actually request a copy of his will to determine any heirs, the executor, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                          What county?
                          Here ya go. I will bow out. Listen to Grayson.

Comment

I found a property in East Texas that I was interested in that had not had taxes paid in years. I reached out to the below firm and they are the ones in parts of the state that gets these properties moved to the sheriffs sales. Might want to see if they service the area you are looking at. They were good in keeping me informed on the property and when it would go to sale.
                            Also, this property was not on their radar until I brought it up with them. If I had not there is no telling how long it would have sat there.

Linebarger Goggan Blair & Sampson, LLP
                            Last edited by rjet; 03-01-2021, 10:43 PM. Reason: info

Comment

Originally posted by rjet View Post
                              I found a property in East Texas that I was interested in that had not had taxes paid in years. I reached out to the below firm and they are the ones in parts of the state that gets these properties moved to the sheriffs sales. Might want to see if they service the area you are looking at. They were good in keeping me informed on the property and when it would go to sale.
                              Also, this property was not on their radar until I brought it up with them. If I had not there is no telling how long it would have sat there.

Linebarger Goggan Blair & Sampson, LLP

They handle the ones around here too

Comment

Working...
                              X