Teach me about generators!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teach me about generators!

As like most....I’m going to buy a generator.

I’m going dual fuel so I can run on propane.

One seeing inverter type vs non. I want to power my deep freez. Possibly my HVAC and or heater. Or at least some space heaters. And my refrigerator. Plus various small things like phone charger etc. I’ve drug my feet and never got one. Mainly because idk *** I’m doing! Looking at a champion dual fuel inverter type. I’d like a Honda but for the money it doesn’t make sense and they are gas only.

I’m not afraid to ask for help so hit me with some knowledge

I’m currently using this to map out what I want to run so I have an approximate calc of the total wattage. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...66875879669571

I plan on having a 240v plug installed and run to my panel and an interlock. I’ll then use the panel to play eenie meenie miney mo to run certain circuits while others are off. Plan on a dual fuel or Tri fuel as well. Would prefer NG be my primary with gasoline as 2nd backup and propane in a pinch.

My biggest challenge is storing a gen long term and then sheltering it from the elements when it in use and having it in close proximity to the panel and a NG line. Was going to do a metal building/office in the backyard, but my wife’s $18,000 surgery tomorrow gobbled up those funds.

At least this is my plan at the moment

Comment

This is from my friend in the neighborhood:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My HOA and generator guidelines dont want it in the garage. Sure does make it hard to get something planned out when my bac yard is full of hot tub and pool. Something about 5’ distance from the house structure for a permanent generator

Comment

Bump

Comment

Tagged
            Currently looking to move out to a more rural area. Would like something to power electric central heat, electric hot water heater, freezer, refrigerator & some lighting to get by.
            Manual transfer switch wired in on those specific item circuits
            How to store it when not in use
            Preventive maintenance must do’s to maintain reliability
            Any other info is helpful

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              Bump

Is your heat and cooking gas, or electric? I set my in-laws up on a 7500 watt gas generator and they are all gas with electric water well and septic. Their well is large, they can run the septic aeration and the well pump along with heat snd entire 3000sq/ft house snd shop with freezers and fridges. Once they get a light on the septic meaning the pump tank is full, they shut off the well and turn on the septic pump to pump down
              the tank.

Once the tank is pumped out, they turn it off again and flip back on the well. Small inconvenience over spending another 1-2,000 on a bigger generator that consumes more fuel.

In the summer the generator will run entire house AND A/C with the septic and well off. When they want to shower or use water it’s just the flip of a few breakers.

I will admit it’s a little inconvenience but beats the hell out of having no power at all

One thing to remember is to keep oil on hand. I would say enough to run the generator for 2 weeks and change oil at designated intervals. My Generac is every 100hrs of runtime.

One MUST to remember is DRAIN THE GAS!!! Not only drain the gas, but turn fuel off and run the carb dry. Let the engine run until it dies, then pull start it again to make sure all the residual fuel is gone. I have a generator at the lease that I’ve been doing this for years. Starts on the first pull everytime after sitting for 10months. Never cleaned the carb in 5yrs. Cheap harbor freight predator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                Tagged
                Currently looking to move out to a more rural area. Would like something to power electric central heat, electric hot water heater, freezer, refrigerator & some lighting to get by.
                Manual transfer switch wired in on those specific item circuits
                How to store it when not in use
                Preventive maintenance must do’s to maintain reliability
                Any other info is helpful

All electric will be difficult. Get a smaller whole house and set it up to run on propane. Run time will depend on size of tank. The heat load on your house alone is probably somewhere around 15,000 alone. You sound like you need a 24kw generator. Should be around 9-11k installed

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                  Is your heat and cooking gas, or electric? I set my in-laws up on a 7500 watt gas generator and they are all gas with electric water well and septic. Their well is large, they can run the septic aeration and the well pump along with heat snd entire 3000sq/ft house snd shop with freezers and fridges. Once they get a light on the septic meaning the pump tank is full, they shut off the well and turn on the septic pump to pump down
                  the tank.

Once the tank is pumped out, they turn it off again and flip back on the well. Small inconvenience over spending another 1-2,000 on a bigger generator that consumes more fuel.

In the summer the generator will run entire house AND A/C with the septic and well off. When they want to shower or use water it’s just the flip of a few breakers.

I will admit it’s a little inconvenience but beats the hell out of having no power at all

One thing to remember is to keep oil on hand. I would say enough to run the generator for 2 weeks and change oil at designated intervals. My Generac is every 100hrs of runtime.

One MUST to remember is DRAIN THE GAS!!! Not only drain the gas, but turn fuel off and run the carb dry. Let the engine run until it dies, then pull start it again to make sure all the residual fuel is gone. I have a generator at the lease that I’ve been doing this for years. Starts on the first pull everytime after sitting for 10months. Never cleaned the carb in 5yrs. Cheap harbor freight predator.

When you say that the 7500 watt gen is running the AC are you referring to central A/C?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                    When you say that the 7500 watt gen is running the AC are you referring to central A/C?

Yup

Comment

My house is all electric. Unfortunately

Someone in another post mentioned a standard generator not being able to run his treager. And that he needed an inverter one. Why?

Comment

OP,

You need to do three things.

1. For each device you want to power, you need to determine what the running watts are (power to keep the device on and working)

2. You then need to look at what the WATTS are for starting (AC, Fridge, Freezer typically have a higher starting WATTS than running)

3. Add both items and I read as a general rule plus the WATTS by 25%.

Device Running WATTS Starting WATTS

A/C (10,000 BTU) 1500 3000
                        Space Heater 1800 1800
                        Refrigerator 700 1200
                        TV (50 in) 500 500

Subtotal 4500 6500
                        Add 25% 1125 1625

Total 5625 8125

Keep in mine the best way to do your calculations is to look at your owners manual and find out what exactly are the power needs of your devices.

If the running watts are not on the tool or appliance, you may estimate using the following equation: WATTS=VOLTS x AMPS.
                        Last edited by hopedale; 02-24-2021, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Generac makes at 17500 running portable generator that has 26500 starting.....but I hear its one loud SOB.....

17500 is close to 75 amps

Comment

Get one these with an exterior plug to your panel and an interlock kit. You can install a 50amp two pole breaker for generator breaker. You can pick and choose what you want to run.

If you want an American made generator get a Westinghouse Duel Fuel 12,500/9500. Made in Columbus, Ohio. Engine is made there also.

https://westinghouseoutdoorpower.com...ator-dual-fuel

I have a Westinghouse coming on March 5th. I paid $1049.99 for it on Amazon. Free shipping. Dang thing weighs 220 lbs. Almost 300 lbs. with pallet and shipping carton. I am glad I have a set of pallet forks for my Kubota.

Several things about the Westinghouse that I like. 12500 start up amps. Remote key fob start, 50 amp plug, 3 year warranty.

I am going to put a Hyper Engineering Sure Start Soft Start module on my 2.5 ton AC unit. This is probably overkill but I want to make sure I can run my AC.

I would also recommend the Soft Start kit for you AC compressor.

Get an electrician to install the exterior plug and do the work in your panel. You should be able to buy the generator, plug, interlock kit, cable, and electricians labor and materials for $1500 to $1800 depending on what the electrician charges you.

Westinghouse generator $1050 shipped
                            Interlock kit $75.00 to $100
                            Cable $100.00
                            Exterior plug $100
                            Electrician Labor $300 ??
                            Misc wire and breaker $50.00
                            Soft Start Kit (optional) $260.00
                            Last edited by Arrowsmith; 02-24-2021, 10:57 AM.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Working...
                              X