*Winter Weather Coming*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
    Smart move. Have a 4000 watt ready to go in case utilities get caught off. Can you explain and maybe show your setup for powering your house? Did you have a plug in wired into the house breaker box by an electrician? How does it decipher which circuits it runs and which it doesn't or do you just turn on each circuit separately and see what wattage is maximum until it overloads? Is that a 240v 4 prong plug in generator? Is it 10k watts peak or is it lower watts running? Very cool you have that setup on the gas line. You can switch to propane or gasoline at any time? Thanks.
    Watch this short video. This will help explain.

This is the system we have. Our Generator is a Champion Duel Fuel 10,000/8000 watt (10,000 start up/8000running watts). The interlock switch device is specific to your panel. For example Square D, GE, Eaton, etc. and per model number of your specific panel. You turn all your breakers off and then power up either what you need or what your generator will run.

Interlock switch kits:

Also I highly recommend that you install a surge protector that is designed for generator back up use. It will protect your electronics and motherboard in your furnace, AC, etc. I have heard of people emergency wiring their furnace for generator hook up and it burns out the controls. Most all appliances now have electronics (motherboards that dirty power will fry).

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 02-13-2021, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post

This is the system we have. Our Generator is a Champion Duel Fuel 10,000/8000 watt (10,000 start up/8000running watts). The interlock switch device is specific to your panel. For example Square D, GE, Eaton, etc. and per model number of your specific panel. You turn all your breakers off and then power up either what you need or what your generator will run.

Interlock switch kits:

Also I highly recommend that you install a surge protector that is designed for generator back up use. It will protect your electronics and motherboard in your furnace, AC, etc. I have heard of people emergency wiring their furnace for generator hook up and it burns out the controls. Most all appliances now have electronics (motherboards that dirty power will fry).

https://zerosurge.com/generator-ups/
      Very interesting. Pretty cool. I didn't see the video link though

Comment

Sorry....I didn't attach it. There are a bunch of good You Tube videos on powering your house with generators. This one kinda goes over the essentials quickly.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5fP7biZ2aQ&t=1s"]Generator Interlock - Using it & Connecting a Generator to your House - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I have a 60 amp. 10,000W gen. wired into my shop sub-panel w/a 100amp breaker in the box that stays in the off position. When we lose power, I will throw my transfer switch at the house to isolate my service from the co-op power, crank the generator, then flip the 100 amp. breaker to send power to my entire house. I cant run everything in the house and shop at the same time but can run anything that I need. Generally any lights and regular outlets, fridge, freezer, water well, microwave, coffee pot, tv, and air handler to circulate heat (gas). If I need the elect. oven or clothes dryer, I can't run the air handler at the same time.
          It's not the same as normal but we can be comfortable for a good while. Generator uses a little over 10 gallons of diesel in 24 hours.
          Living in the country in the pine trees of East Texas a generator is almost a necessity.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Arrow hit it on the head. It is very simple once you get your head around it. This is a simple way to feed your entire panel and choose what you want to power. I do not have a surge protector but may add one. You only need one empty breaker spot to dedicate to the breaker/wire that goes to the generator. I did all the work myself but you need to be careful for sure. There are a lot of bad ideas out there to back feed a panel and I wouldn't even consider one that wasn't safe.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                Arrow hit it on the head. It is very simple once you get your head around it. This is a simple way to feed your entire panel and choose what you want to power. I do not have a surge protector but may add one. You only need one empty breaker spot to dedicate to the breaker/wire that goes to the generator. I did all the work myself but you need to be careful for sure. There are a lot of bad ideas out there to back feed a panel and I wouldn't even consider one that wasn't safe.
                The main thing to consider is to not backfeed power through your meter onto the service provider.

Comment

The sun is out and 34 degrees in Dallas. Just took dog for a walk. Time to make a cocktail and settle in.

Comment

The sun is out and 34 degrees in Dallas. Just took dog for a walk. Time to make a cocktail and settle in.
                    Enjoy it while you can. It got to 38 here today and I ALMOST thought about going for a quick dip. NOT!

Comment

Saw 5 or 6 dead bb antelope on our way to Kerrville and equal amounts standing next them jus waiting their turn...Sad deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                        Saw 5 or 6 dead bb antelope on our way to Kerrville and equal amounts standing next them jus waiting their turn...Sad deal

My exotic sheep did that in 1989 , just walked around in circles and froze to death

Comment

What temps (and length of time) begin to effect TX whitetail and axis deer with kill-offs?

Comment

Just hooked up our generator for a test. Figured it would be easier than doing it Monday in the dark and 15 degrees colder. Still have power in Dallas just preparing for the worst.

We invested a little over $1250 in this unit several years ago. Tri fuel and I run it off a quick disconnect to our natural gas. 10 k watts and 30 amps will run our heater and fridge plus all the lights we can stand.
                            Good looking set up. I’m going for roughly the same as I have a Predator 8750 at the ready that I just converted over to dual fuel gas-LP. We are building a house right now and had the electricians install a mechanical interlock-switchover device to the main panel and a receptacle outside that I can plug my generator into (that I will run off propane). It will be wired to a dedicated double pole 30amp breaker to feed the panel.
                            We just want to be able to run our refrigerator/freezers, a few lights, electronics, fans, etc. My hope is that we should be comfortable enough since we have propane stove, fireplaces and hot water heaters. About the only thing we won’t even remotely consider powering is the AC of course.

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post

Interlock switch kits:

https://zerosurge.com/generator-ups/
                            Yessir, there are tons of YouTube videos out there that helped me with my research and determine my needs.

Good advice as well. The surge protector might be a smart idea. At the end of the day it’s about being safe not to back feed the panel and kill someone, being very “procedural” in powering the breakers ON and OFF and knowing your generator’s limitations. You better know the loads that are on each breaker and have enough wattage (amps) output to avoid damaging things. I’m thinking I will also have a watt meter base installed on each phase to be able to view real time live draw. I also plan on having a cheat sheet with extensive labeling of my breakers in an attempt to isolate them.
                            Good info guys. Thx

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                              What temps (and length of time) begin to effect TX whitetail and axis deer with kill-offs?

Not sure if there’s a magical number but we’ve been in the 20s for a couple of days with the feel like in the teens and I know of people losing their axis. Last snow we had a couple of weeks ago killed @ a dozen axis in a friends pasture which was about half of the herd than normally hung out there

Comment

If we lose electricity for a lengthy period of time should I turn my (gas) water heater off? Or should I drain it to prevent the water inside from freezing?

Comment

Working...
                                X