No announcement yet.

Cast Iron and Bacon Grease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They like to say it’s “preseasoned”. Coat the skillet with Crisco and bake it in the oven on 200 for several hours to actually season it. And never scrub it to clean it after cooking.

Comment

Watch YouTube search Jeff Rogers. He does some very informative videos on seasoning cast iron

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Bacon grease is liquid gold. Does it need to be kept in the frig? My wife thinks it does but I say no.

Comment

Originally posted by chicken fried View Post
            Bacon grease is liquid gold. Does it need to be kept in the frig? My wife thinks it does but I say no.

Never did growing up and didn’t die but wife now says is must be. I guess bacon grease has evolved [emoji2371][emoji2371]

Comment

Another vote for bacon grease (rendered bacon fat, i.e. pork lard) in the Lodge. Secondarily we use butter or coconut oil.

Empty the Lodge pan, scrape with a spatula and/or wipe with paper towel, scrub with a stiff plastic brush under water if needed (you can also buy a "chain-mail" cleaner on amazon, but we've found it unneccesary), dry it with a towel and put away for next time. If you really want to be fancy, wipe it with some coconut oil before storing. The key is to never ever ever use a drop of soap in it.

Comment

I have a jar with a stained on the counter for bacon grease. I use vintage Wagner cast iron skillets.
                Those new lodge skillets really need to be sanded smooth then seasoned. The casting is pretty rough new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                  I took the new lodge down to bare metal with some coarse paper. Then I hand sanded with 400 grit. Then with coarse salt.

Next, I heated my gas grill to 375* and heated the pan with a thin coat of olive oil. I repeated 3 times. The last thing I did was heat it on the stove with a cup of bacon grease. I let the hot oil roll for 20 mins or so. Then I cooled the pan and wiped it down.

She looks great. Gona try her out in the morning.

This is what I do. If you sand it down and take off that “preseason” it will work a lot better for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                    I took the new lodge down to bare metal with some coarse paper. Then I hand sanded with 400 grit. Then with coarse salt.

Next, I heated my gas grill to 375* and heated the pan with a thin coat of olive oil. I repeated 3 times. The last thing I did was heat it on the stove with a cup of bacon grease. I let the hot oil roll for 20 mins or so. Then I cooled the pan and wiped it down.

She looks great. Gona try her out in the morning.

I missed this post but I like it!

It duplicates what I found with my old skillet rehab and my new Lodge smooth up

Comment

The women in my family have been saving bacon grease in leftover 14.5 oz tin cans for generations! Great grandmothers and grandmothers kept theirs on the stove. Mom and I keep them in our ice boxes; more for aesthetics than food safety.

Note: lipids—or fats—are naturally anti-microbial and do not typically need to be refrigerated. In fact, the women in my family also store our butter at room temp, rather than in the ice box, in order to keep it spreadable. That said, however, fats can turn “rancid” if left out for long periods of time during the hot parts of the year. This is usually due to food solids that are trapped inside.

I use bacon grease in almost every savory dish I make that calls for a fat of some kind. Unlike vegetable, nut, or seed oils, bacon grease has a higher smoke point and adds much more flavor. I also use it in place of shortening or lard in things like pie/tart crusts (savory), masa for tamales, and even some breads. Unlike their hydrogenated counterparts, it adds a dimension of flavor that can make a good dish great.

Comment

Dang, how I got to go cook some bacon.

Comment

My grandmother always had a coffee can with bacon grease next to where she cooked.

Comment

I don’t save bacon grease. If I need some to cook with I fry up some bacon fresh and use the grease from it. You can eat bacon with any other food. There’s always room for bacon!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                              I always have a jar of bacon grease in the fridge for just about everything I cook.
                              This

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
                                I don’t save bacon grease. If I need some to cook with I fry up some bacon fresh and use the grease from it. You can eat bacon with any other food. There’s always room for bacon!
                                That’s what my daughter just told me.

Comment

Working...
                                X