Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone recommend a good alfalfa feeder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone recommend a good alfalfa feeder?

Or a DIY plan for one. I want something to feed my Axis deer. I’ve been just throwing a bale or two out when I’m there. It’s gone in a week. I’m thinking maybe making something that will hold about 4 square bales and perhaps have some type of cover to keep them out of the sun. Any recommendations?

I've used one of these for years, well built.

This deer hay feeder holds two regular-size bales and provides easy access for multiple animals to be fed at once. Order yours from All Seasons Feeders.

Comment

Lamco make hay feeders but not sure if they make one to hold several bales

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post

https://www.allseasonsfeeders.com/products/hay-feeder
        I don't feed alfalfa, but my dad insists on having a bale at his favorite stand. This is what I bought him for Christmas and it works like a champ.

Comment

[quote=Mule Skinner;15661127]I've used one of these for years, well built.

[url]https://www.allseasonsfeeders.com/products/hay-feeder[/url

I see it holds two bales. I like that the sun stays off it. I wonder if I can build it to hold more.
          Last edited by AntlerCollector; 06-14-2021, 12:20 PM.

Comment

[quote=AntlerCollector;15661148]

[url]https://www.allseasonsfeeders.com/products/hay-feeder[/url

I see it holds two bales. I like that the sun stays off it. I wonder if I can build it to hold more.
            I would think with Axis being what they are, the more you put out, the more they will hit it ( in larger numbers) so adding another bale or 2 may not help for duration feeding anyway. I could be wrong though, it’s happened once before

Comment

Get an old feeder and cut the bottom out, run a few wires across the bottom and bam. Throw your alfalfa up top and youre good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by SHSU18 View Post
                Get an old feeder and cut the bottom out, run a few wires across the bottom and bam. Throw your alfalfa up top and youre good to go.

for one bale...

AC you are going to have to build one to hold more than the All Seasons feeder.. I

Comment

Originally posted by SHSU18 View Post

I’ve built a few like that several years ago. Even built a double barrel one. I’m wanting it to hold more than two bales though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

https://www.allseasonsfeeders.com/products/hay-feeder

I have one of these as well. I can stuff three bales in there if I really want to.

Comment

Curious as to why you don't use alfalfa pellets or cubes instead ? Lots of stems in bales and therefor waste or do the axis consume the stems as well?

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                        Curious as to why you don't use alfalfa pellets or cubes instead ? Lots of stems in bales and therefor waste or do the axis consume the stems as well?
                        They eat it all

Comment

Got it, no need for more expensive pellets or cubes then.

Comment

I built my own. I can’t post pics but if your interested pm me your email and I’ll send you construction pics. Or anyone else for that matter that’s interested in pics.

Comment

We just throw it on the ground.....

Comment

Working...
                              X