movie the green berets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

movie the green berets

every notice in the movie the vietcong only have bolt action rifles no ak-47 at all.

In the early days of the war, before we got into it, when the French were fighting them and then the early days of the US getting into Vietnam. The North Vietnamese were using a lot of bolt actions and SKSs. It was not till we started putting a lot of troops on the ground over there, that they got weapons, probably from North Korea or China and Russia. That's when the AK 47s started showing up.

That war was going on for a while before we got involved, but nobody ever remembers that, more so, the people who want to say we should not have been there or it was all about big companies making money. Yes, a lot of companies made a lot of money, but there was purpose for us to be there. We were trying to finish what the French started.

I have not watched that moving in a long time, but I think it is based on the middle to later days we were there. So there should have been a decent number of AK 47s floating around. You have to remember we were not just fighting the North Vietnamese, there were multiple other groups involved, who most likely got weapons and ammo from different sources.

Then it was just a Hollywood movie, not necessarily accurate in all areas.

Comment

I think that movie is of the period when we were just supposed to be "advisors".
      Last edited by Walker; 05-30-2021, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
        I think that movie is of the period when we were just supposed to be "advisors".
        Yes, you are correct, right after the VC kicked French butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          Yes, whenever you hear we are sending “Advisors” overseas we are advising people in that country to die from small arms fire haha.

“Advisors” come from only 2 Departments of our Government.

US Army Special Forces, the Green Berets, there is no Special Forces in any other branch of the Military. Army Special Forces fall into Special Operations which all branches now have units belonging to. SF’s specific job is to “Advise” the Indigenous people’s of a foreign land. Hardcore Soldiers.

CIA. They are just ******bags looking for an angle to profit from politically or monetarily.

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
            every notice in the movie the vietcong only have bolt action rifles no ak-47 at all.

So weird watching it now….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, they had Huey's in the movie.

If I recall, the move We Were Soldiers was about the first Air Cav operation.

I used to have the transcript of that battle. AK's were prevalent then.

Comment

Saw several captured weapons during my tour ('70-71) and there were AKs, SKSs, M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, Springfields, and any numer of others. The VC got their weapons wherever they could--

Once the NVA moved south in force, and the Ho chi Minh trail became operational, truck convoys, bicycle porters, etc moved lots and lots of weapons south. And, the NVA also had full access to a port in Cambodia (Sihanoukville ?) and shipped military hardward across Cambodia to SVN.

Comment

The most realistic part is when the Huey crashes and John Wayne just tucks and rolls and walks off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When I was going through IOBC at Ft. Benning in 1979 several of the places we trained at were locations for the Green Berets movie. It's funny that the location where they were in front of reporters at Ft. Bragg at the beginning of the movie and the SF camp in Vietnam were only a couple of hundred yards from each other.

Comment

The commies also had a lot of Garands, BARs & M1 carbines.

Comment

At the end of the movie they had the sun setting in the East. Other than that entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                          Yes, you are correct, right after the VC kicked French butt.
                          Yes, the French were horribly unprepared for that mess. They showed up, thinking they were fighting some small WW I battle, and got annihilated.

Comment

I had to go and look up the Huey and the M16. I was pretty sure that both were not really in use till around 1966. But it turns out they were both around by 65 or even a few at some point in 64. I know in the early days, the US was using M14s, M1 carbines, commonly, I think I have heard of some Thompson submachine guns used. I think that would have been a great gun, for that jungle.

The UH-34s and H-21s, were the helicopters used in the early days, when the US was just advising in Vietnam.

Comment

Took basic in 69 and we were issued m14s. In 70 headed for nam and we were issued m16s here state side. Grease guns were there but hard to get your hands on. By that ak47s were in full use by the cong. Even the arvens had 16s.

Comment

Working...
                              X