How small is too small?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How small is too small?

In the distant future I am looking to buy land to mainly hunt on and get away from the metroplex with my boys. Most likely wouldn't build right away and if we do build, it would most likely just be a small hunting cabin. What's the minimum acreage you would be comfortable with? 25, 50, 100....etc. Personally I'm thinking somewhere in the 50-100 acre range would be sufficient.

I think you are on the right idea of 50-100.
    If the price is right, but all you can afford.

BP

Comment

As much as I can afford. They are not making any more of it!!! Good luck.

Comment

Location location location (and big neighbors). We have 32 aces and we have the opportunity to kill a 140” deer 9 out of 10 years. Most years we pass on that opportunity hoping for the chance we can get a 160” deer one day.

Comment

I live on 14 acres. Surrounded by large acres. My boys kill a good buck each year. We use to live on 5 acres and got a good buck every year. Colorado County

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My lease is 320 acres but in reality, where my stand is, I probably only hunt about 3-5 acres. Seriously, I sit and feed in a spot that’s maybe a 1/4 acre and when I shoot something, I don’t think I’ve ever tracked anything over 100 yards. So with that in mind, you could get by with less depending on what’s around it.

Comment

Keep in mind that you will be living in your hunting area. The animals will know you are there. That being said go for it, nothing like hunting on your own land.

Comment

As much as you can comfortably afford.

Comment

Minimum 50ac......or as much as you can afford. Heck, you can kill a 271" without even owning the property.

Comment

I've hunted on 55 and 65 but in both cases much larger around me. There were more animals than I could possibly shoot. I live in an "acreage" community where all neighbors are on 5-20 acres. I have a feeder in front and back and could take does any time but rarely see a decent buck so on something that small if you have neighbors, there's a lot of guns chasing a limited resource.

Comment

In my case, 80 acres is enough to take one buck a year, most years. I don’t shoot does here because our deer density is low and the neighbor shoots anything. I plant three food plots every spring and fall and the neighbor does nothing. Attract the does and the bucks will come. Mineral blocks a protein feeder, two corn feeders and food plots plus year ‘round water. Everywhere except the plots is pretty thick so cover is just two jumps away for any deer. I also kill every hog and coyote I see as well as trap them.

I also have a deer lease about thirty minutes away in the neighboring county. If I kill a buck there, I don’t kill one here. This is my home buck year before last.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Depends on deer density, neighbors and what you are wanting to achieve. Some places may low deer density numbers so 50-100 acres may not allow you to get that deer you’re hoping for especially if your neighbor is gunning for the same deer. Other places density is high so chances are better for you and your neighbors as long as they’re not trying to kill every deer that steps foot on their property.

Comment

Buy as much as you can afford. You could try to buy something smaller now and roll it into a larger place in the future.

However inventory is very low right now, so not very many deals to be found out there if you are looking at listed properties.

Whenever you do buy, I would avoid any ranch subdivision places if possible. Most of your neighbors will have bought their place with the same idea, and the hunting probably won't be what you want it to be.

Comment

Daddy always said
                            It’s location, not necessarily size.
                            I have been in the same 400 for 30 years and never broke 140
                            My friend owns 25 and has done it a couple times

Comment

I have a property that is 14 acres off the interstate. Can kill my full limit every year if I desire of bucks and does. Had one of the biggest 8 points I have ever seen, gone now. But, agree it is location while ours was not ideal off interstate it made them feel safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X