Cheap guns vs nice guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap guns vs nice guns

For the average hunter shooting no more than 300yds and most shots 100yds and closer, are there any advantages to having something like a Tikka, Bergara, Browning over something like a Savage Axis, TC Compass, or Ruger American? If you bought one of the cheaper ones, you could use the savings for nicer glass.

Would be for deer n pigs mostly. Hunting mostly east texas but planning on going to the Panhandle next year where shots could be 300+yes.

Have it narrowed down to 3 calibers:
    7-08
    25-06

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

You absolutely do not need the high dollar guns to kill deer, even at 300yrds. My RAP is more accurate than I am and I enjoy taking it hunting, that said, I own more expensive guns because I like them as well. There is also no question the more expensive guns you listed are higher quality though.

FWIW I'm convinced tikka is the best bang for your buck as far as quality, accuracy and price is concerned. They are gaining a huge following for backcountry guns and aftermarket accessories are becoming more and more available.

Comment

I’ve got all of the above except a savage or tikka..
      Honestly for out to 300 yards, it would be hard to beat a ruger American and leupold freedom. Could have the whole setup for 600ish bucks and you’d have a proven dependable killer

Comment

Buy once, cry once. I went the cheap Savage route once and it was nothing but continual frustration. Never again.

I really liked the Tikka’s until I picked up a Bergara. That was my most recent purchase and have had zero buyer’s remorse.
        Last edited by Greenheadless; 11-12-2020, 09:15 PM.

Comment

With the accuracy of today’s guns, it’s more about preference and application than anything.

Comment

Cheap guns vs nice guns

I have a savage axis, ruger american and Winchester model 70 featherweight. By far my Winchester is my favorite. It is the gun I will pass down to my kids. But, for me, there is a place for the cheaper guns. I baby my Winchester but am not near as worried about the savage/ruger. As such, I find myself reaching for the savage/ruger more often.

Also, both the savage and ruger are just as accurate as the Winchester. Easily 1” moa if I do my job.

Also, out of those three calibers Id go for the 7mm08

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m a huge savage fan. Key is finding the ammo it likes to eat!

I’ve always been told “whatever the cost of the gun, spend double on the optics for it” but I havnt.

I won’t get in a pissing match but if we are talking 300 yds I’ll hang with my savage as good as the higher end rifles. It’s more about the ammo the gun likes.

Comment

Agree with 88 bound but ergonomics is a key point, how does it feel when you shoulder it, length of pull, bolt lift and travel and many more. As far as calibers you mentioned, I vote for 308 because of history of accuracy and wide range of bullet weights. Never owned 25-06 or 7-08 but both are good calibers.

Comment

The tikka tx3 is not an expensive rifle, and I believe by far the best bang for your buck out of any of those choices. All of the ones I have shot have been very accurate no mater what caliber, and plenty for 300 yards and plus with practice.
                  Last edited by critter69; 11-12-2020, 09:26 PM.

Comment

You can’t go wrong with a Savage or Ruger in 25-06. I can’t speak on the TC, but I’ve killed a lot of deer at 200 yards or less with a $350 25-06 and a $150 scope. It’s all about preference. The 25-06 is the best all around gun for anything native to Texas, IMO.

Comment

If second the 25-06

As far as accuracy, I’ve never had a gun that wouldn’t outshoot me... but I have been very much disappointed when I’ve underspent in optics.

Comment

I'm a cheap SOB when it comes to buying nice things when less nice things will do the job. I went the used route for a rem 700 at a pawn store and a Nikon pro staff. So far it's killed everything I've shot at it with so I don't see where spending 3 to 4 times as much would benefit me. Though I'm not a good person for this because i own 2 Benellis, one being a super black eagle 2 and I still carry my mossberg maverick around most of the time. Matter of fact I killed a buck yesterday with the cheap shotgun.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                          I'm a cheap SOB when it comes to buying nice things when less nice things will do the job. I went the used route for a rem 700 at a pawn store and a Nikon pro staff. So far it's killed everything I've shot at it with so I don't see where spending 3 to 4 times as much would benefit me. Though I'm not a good person for this because i own 2 Benellis, one being a super black eagle 2 and I still carry my mossberg maverick around most of the time. Matter of fact I killed a buck yesterday with the cheap shotgun.
                          I wasn't before I had kids. I would buy nice rifles, scopes, new bow every year.....funny how your priorities change when kids come along, lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Tikka T3x in 7mm-08. Best bang for your money. Accurate, smooth action, and best factory adjustable trigger.

Comment

With technology these days a cheap gun and scope are all sufficient to get the job done. Some of us like to spend more for the perceived piece of mind that the cost = quality which is not always the case. Sometimes takes two hours the cost to increase quality a marginal amount. Buy what fits and makes you happy.

Comment

Working...
                              X