Ballistic Calculators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballistic Calculators

How much do you trust ballistic calculators when it comes to MOA/MIL drop from 0-1000 yards? (I understand that to get a 100% accurate dope for long distance shooting, you need to actually shoot at those ranges)

If you knew the actual muzzle velocity, BC, elevation, and temperature, would you trust the calculator data to be correct?

I would not, but I have never had all of those measurements at one time. I would use it to be very close and then tweak it by shooting the ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use the Hornady ballistic DOF. Very simple to use, and reliable.

Comment

For Nikon this has been pretty dang close.

Comment

trust...BUT VERIFY

I use Ballistic AE and the Vortex LRBC.

On four different rifles (.223, 6.5cm, .257wby, .338RUM) now I've got my MV from a chrono, input my updated atmospherics and let er rip from 100 out to 800 (500 on the .223) with first round hits on MOA size targets.

Comment

Given perfect input of those values it will be very, very good.

I think most error comes from people taking the values on the side of the box and not compensating for the things you listed.

IMHO, knowing the length of the test barrel used by the manufacturer (probably 24" and adding or subtracting the ~25fps/inch) is probably the greatest contributer of the errors.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Krestal 5700 with Applied Ballistics software. Your gonna need specific information for your rifle and loads. And that info don’t come off the side of a box of ammo from academy.

Get the world's most complete ballistics calculator -- a rugged Kestrel Weather Meter with the "science of accuracy" built-in! Get accurate measurement of wind and air density to deliver elevation and windage solutions for unprecedented accuracy on extended long-range shots.
              Last edited by Radar; 08-18-2020, 04:59 PM.

Comment

It’s physics, as long as you have good data to enter then yes I’d trust it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

First cut my teeth with Ballistic Equation for a 5 inch 54. Ballistic equation is right on if you have the inputs. The most important step you can do to make the dope work is have an accurate and repeatable initial velocity.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                    Krestal 5700 with Applied Ballistics software. Your gonna need specific information for your rifle and loads. And that info don’t come off the side of a box of ammo from academy.

https://kestrelmeters.com/products/k...ied-ballistics
                    A guy I hunted with this past week uses kestrel. Its worked out to 750

Comment

Yes. If you put all the correct info in the shooter app, it works. And you do your part.
                      We have built new guns. Load bullets. Plug in the numbers. Get a good 200 yard zero. Then go straight to 1340 yards.

Comment

I may be in the minority here, but I have had good luck with the StrelokPro app on 5 different rifles at 450, 750, 900, & 1000 yards.

Comment

Yes but getting that correct BC for your setup can be tricky and requires shooting anyway. With all the right data my Shooter app is at least dead on under 600. Have not gone over so would still need to verify

Comment

Kestrel 5700 is very close if you have the correct bullet data. Lots of environmental variables that accounted by the kestrel.

Comment

Originally posted by GARR View Post
                              I may be in the minority here, but I have had good luck with the StrelokPro app on 5 different rifles at 450, 750, 900, & 1000 yards.
                              Thats what I have used also. Has worked well with 4 different rifles out to 1200 and my 10/22 for NRL 22

Comment

Working...
                              X